• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bulls vs Waratahs - Super Rugby Rd11 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I'm not surprised that Cheika has come out and slammed Pastrana.

I reckon he is one of the worst refs in the comp, as he just doesn't communicate with anyone- not his touchies (didn't blow an offside penalty all night from memory, despite the fact both sides were regularly miles in front of the last feet), and not with the players.

The language barrier is also there- his english is patchy at best.

I don't think either team received much benefit from his reffing, but I just don't think he is very good.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Too right he sucked both ways and does not deserve to ref at this level although I can understand that the powers that be want an Argie ref primed for test rugby. I suspect we are going to be stuck with this guy. He should take English lessons. Then read the rulebook again.

Cheika is making a bit of a habit of this. Not sure I like coaches having a moan about the refs. It's always the losing coach. Will always look like sour grapes. Move on. Next time your team will end up on the good side of the bad ref. It all evens out.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
There are appropriate channels for Coaches to comment on a referees performance and it is not in a presser or via any other sort of public utterance.

Not only does it look like sour grapes, and it sends the wrong message to the rest of the rugbyworld, particularly juniors but it is against every Code of Conduct for coaches that I have ever seen.

Going public is also likely to get the referees association's back up. I am sure that the ref's bosses are keen to receive feedback, but in an objective manner, and through the right channels.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Too right he sucked both ways and does not deserve to ref at this level although I can understand that the powers that be want an Argie ref primed for test rugby. I suspect we are going to be stuck with this guy. He should take English lessons. Then read the rulebook again.

Cheika is making a bit of a habit of this. Not sure I like coaches having a moan about the refs. It's always the losing coach. Will always look like sour grapes. Move on. Next time your team will end up on the good side of the bad ref. It all evens out.

It's common place in League for certain coaches every week to have a moan about the ref - Toovey, Sticky, Bennett a few of the the main culprits. I can't stand it and I'm a massive league fan. After every Manly game its as if I now expect Toovey to have some rant because he does it so frequent. Would hate this to become part of Super rugby.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Not a good look from Cheika. He should just shut his trap about this stuff and use the channels available to him.

I agree that Pastrana was rubbish (and that we're stuck with him), but I'm sure the Bulls and their fans could point to some dubious decisions as well. The Waratahs lost because they gave up 7 (!!!) of their own lineouts and got a case of the dropsies at the worst possible moments.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Not a good look from Cheika. He should just shut his trap about this stuff and use the channels available to him.

I agree that Pastrana was rubbish (and that we're stuck with him), but I'm sure the Bulls and their fans could point to some dubious decisions as well. The Waratahs lost because they gave up 7 (!!!) of their own lineouts and got a case of the dropsies at the worst possible moments.

And missed critical shots at goal. To win at Pretoria, you have to do everything right. Even with the mistakes that you mention, points from missed shots would have seen them in front with 10 to go and not behind and trying to run it out of their own 22.

I also recall that 1 of the early penalty goals by the Bulls came just after Crawford was allegedly outside his 22, when he was in fact on the line. Difficult to beat a team like the Bulls, when those little things go against you.

It was encouraging though, that they kept trying to win the game right to the end, even from their own 22.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)

All the talk in Bulls country was that he allowed to Tahs to got offside all night and that is why the Bulls struggled to score deep into phases. So yes, they found it. I get all the scoop from my secret agent in Pretoria, otherwise known as my mother. :D

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
There are appropriate channels for Coaches to comment on a referees performance and it is not in a presser or via any other sort of public utterance.

Not only does it look like sour grapes, and it sends the wrong message to the rest of the rugbyworld, particularly juniors but it is against every Code of Conduct for coaches that I have ever seen.

Going public is also likely to get the referees association's back up. I am sure that the ref's bosses are keen to receive feedback, but in an objective manner, and through the right channels.
I think it also sends the players 2 messages that are unhelpful:
We can blame someone else.
It's ok to bag them - before you know it they're doing it on the field and giving up 10m or getting yellows.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Our forwards, apart from scrummaging, were rubbish

The old "stand-around-and-watch" syndrome certainly took hold in the first half of this game. I counted four (or was it five?) rucks early in the game when TPN had a good look at all of them, moving sideways as the next breakdown developed, perfectly positioned to report on what happened. And he wasn't the only one (but he sure stands out with his latest 'do). And what happened to our lineouts? We know these blokes are bloody good in the air, and so they should be, schooled by one of the best in Victor Matfield. On this note I reckon Cheika was out-coached; he should've employed a specific alternative strategy to ensure we won our pill at lineout time.

Scrum was good, very good.

Cheks, come close, no, closer than that: time to give another scrummie a run. And Foley to brush up on his place-kicking.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
It is unsurprising to see they have been trying to fix the lineouts, one thing that doesn't seem to get mention is the shit service from the lineouts.

Our 9 is just being given rubbish as the jumper throws the ball at his feet

The Waratahs trained at Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University, which overlooks the Indian Ocean, this week. There, Chapman and Waratahs captain Dave Dennis devoted time to lineout work.
After a season of better-than-adequate performances in that area, the Waratahs lost seven lineouts against the throw in Pretoria.
"We've talked about being more consistent with our jumps and our lifts and allowing our hookers to have that consistent height to hit, not having some jumps here and some jumps there," Chapman said.
There was also the persistent problem of performance under pressure. Coach Michael Cheika still has bridging the belief gap as his main challenge. Chapman's observations on the team's set-piece failings lent weight to his coach's psychoanalysis.
"It's pressure, too," he said. "On the weekend we had a few key lineouts when the game was in the balance that we lost. A big focus for us now is, when we have those big lineouts, to really execute.'

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/waratahs-chase-redemption-after-dismal-lineout-display-20130501-2issi.html#ixzz2S5InxK6x

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Chapman's observations on the team's set-piece failings lent weight to his coach's psychoanalysis.
Bloody hell! Psychoanalysis?
psy·cho·a·nal·y·sis(s
imacr.gif
lprime.gif
k
omacr.gif
-
schwa.gif
-n
abreve.gif
l
prime.gif
ibreve.gif
-s
ibreve.gif
s)

n. pl. psy·cho·a·nal·y·ses (-s
emacr.gif
z
lprime.gif
)

a. The method of psychological therapy originated by Sigmund Freud in which free association, dream interpretation, and analysis of resistance and transference are used to explore repressed or unconscious impulses, anxieties, and internal conflicts, in order to free psychic energy for mature love and work.
b. The theory of personality developed by Freud that focuses on repression and unconscious forces and includes the concepts of infantile sexuality, resistance, transference, and division of the psyche into the id, ego, and superego.
2. Psychotherapy incorporating this method and theory.

Mate, I know the feeling. Being a coach and watching your boofheads lose seven lineouts on their own throw or as Gina weirdly expresses it, "the Waratahs lost seven lineouts against the throw in Pretoria".

Michael, I'd just stick to getting up 'em. Trying to "explore repressed or unconscious impulses, anxieties, and internal conflicts" in rugby players? Don't go there. Better to leave their impulses repressed and unconscious.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Knowing Cheika's reputation, I think it should have read a psycho's analysis.

I'm sure it was similar to psychoanalysis just with more four letter words beginning with F and C.

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)
The old "stand-around-and-watch" syndrome certainly took hold in the first half of this game. I counted four (or was it five?) rucks early in the game when TPN had a good look at all of them, moving sideways as the next breakdown developed, perfectly positioned to report on what happened. And he wasn't the only one (but he sure stands out with his latest 'do). And what happened to our lineouts? We know these blokes are bloody good in the air, and so they should be, schooled by one of the best in Victor Matfield. On this note I reckon Cheika was out-coached; he should've employed a specific alternative strategy to ensure we won our pill at lineout time.

Scrum was good, very good.

Cheks, come close, no, closer than that: time to give another scrummie a run. And Foley to brush up on his place-kicking.

Lindo - here's what happened with the lineouts http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/waratahs-lineout-woes/

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
All the talk in Bulls country was that he allowed to Tahs to got offside all night and that is why the Bulls struggled to score deep into phases. So yes, they found it. I get all the scoop from my secret agent in Pretoria, otherwise known as my mother. :D
How about predictable? You know the Bulls fax you their game plan with the words come and stop us written underneath.

Status
Not open for further replies.