• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sidelineview

It happens every year with selections, doesnt it? There are always some head scratchers.

Some players can consider themselves unlucky because there may be a glut of good back rowers or inside backs for example, and in another year that same player would make a CAS team and possibly a State team.
It can be a fine line, but sometimes players like Rice can get called up to a team due to injury/unavailability and get an opportunity.
Harry Whiteman was called up to play NSW2s last season after being selected in the CAS2 team.

On the other hand, sometimes there's not a lot of competition for some positions and players get lucky.

S

sidelineview

Trinity are a very good side. Their forwards are very good and Edmed is the class 5/8th in the CAS comp without a doubt. No side can take them lightly.

Barker though are able to find an extra gear and the tight 5 are the equivalent of 7 forwards when they team up. I hope the CAS coaches watch this clip.

Seven? mmmm. interesting.

Dont worry Rod; the CAS Head Coach, Waverley's Scott Coleman will be all over it.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Seven? mmmm. interesting.

Dont worry Rod; the CAS Head Coach, Waverley's Scott Coleman will be all over it.

Coleman is a top coach. I hope he also puts Galloway to mark Sua'ali'i. That Kings lad is going to be a handful irrespective of who is marking him but Galloway is the best tackler we have got. Always gets his man and did well against Suaalli in the Kings Barker match.

noeyeddear

Allen Oxlade (6)
Thanks mate, all good. I will try to watch some Waverley game film over the next few days and see what their structure is and report back. Whatever it is, it’s effective!

SDW, just had a quick look at the first half of the Waverley v Riverview game at the start of the season (all I had time for). Waverley played a 3-pod structure. The 1,2,3 always in the middle third (usually with the 4); the 8 always in the right hand channel (usually with the 5), the 6 always in the left channel (usually with the 7). Obviously the shape gets pulled apart based on taking opportunities as they present themselves, or reacting to the opposition play, but when they re-align, that's where they're heading to.

RugbyFan14

Herbert Moran (7)
pollard doesn't do the tough yards, he seems to be a edge runner,

He's an incredible runner, big fast, breaking tackles and setting up supports etc. With all the video coaching these days you'd have to think he is playing exactly where he has been told to - where he does enormous damage to opponents. Can't be critical of him for that. And he hits like a sledgehammer in defence.

richard powell

Allen Oxlade (6)
I always look forward to the CAS v GPS clash. Its a wonderful opportunity for the players to display their talents and also allows the many supporters of schoolboy rugby to watch what is always a high quality game. However, this year with the game being played at 3.00 on a Tuesday, there will be no chance for many supporters to watch the game. I was looking forward to seeing Billy Pollard (who ive never seen play), Reimer, Moretti and co strut their stuff and (as an old Aloysian) seeing how Ben Pollack and James Westbury fare. In recent times with the game being played under lights at Knox it allowed the average working person the opportunity to get to the game. I am really disappointed the earlier timings of the game this year will restrict the ability of most people to get to the match and support the boys. I would think rugby union at the moment needs all of its available supporter pool to be engaged at all levels but this will be one time when the timing of the game will not allow this, which to me seems dumb.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
I always look forward to the CAS v GPS clash. Its a wonderful opportunity for the players to display their talents and also allows the many supporters of schoolboy rugby to watch what is always a high quality game. However, this year with the game being played at 3.00 on a Tuesday, there will be no chance for many supporters to watch the game. I was looking forward to seeing Billy Pollard (who ive never seen play), Reimer, Moretti and co strut their stuff and (as an old Aloysian) seeing how Ben Pollack and James Westbury fare. In recent times with the game being played under lights at Knox it allowed the average working person the opportunity to get to the game. I am really disappointed the earlier timings of the game this year will restrict the ability of most people to get to the match and support the boys. I would think rugby union at the moment needs all of its available supporter pool to be engaged at all levels but this will be one time when the timing of the game will not allow this, which to me seems dumb.

Couldn't agree more Dick,

OBVIOUSLY a later start suits many more people, not just adults, but the boys.
I am going out today but my 2 boys will miss out,whereas last year they, and many of their mates, were at Knox.
And that is just 1 school, Waverley.

I hope there is an equally big crowd today, time will tell, but I wouldn't think so, will let you know.
It's a real shame for the younger boys who don't get to see their heroes play.

Does anyone know why this change of time?

Think this feedback needs to go back to the authorities.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Good luck today all boys involved.

As Richard P says- I wish the game was a bit later so I could get out there. But you will all do CAS proud. Hopefully the vid is posted up online.

People going, please give updates!

W88,

Updates will be posted on either GPS or CAS site, probably more on the CAS as our points build!

richard powell

Allen Oxlade (6)
enjoy D.H., look forward to your updates .......... and what a shame even the boys won't have an opportunity to support their mates. I wish those playing all the best.

carl spackler

Sydney Middleton (9)
Couldn't agree more Dick,

OBVIOUSLY a later start suits many more people, not just adults, but the boys.
I am going out today but my 2 boys will miss out,whereas last year they, and many of their mates, were at Knox.
And that is just 1 school, Waverley.

I hope there is an equally big crowd today, time will tell, but I wouldn't think so, will let you know.
It's a real shame for the younger boys who don't get to see their heroes play.

Does anyone know why this change of time?

Think this feedback needs to go back to the authorities.

To my best understanding, the hosting rotates between GPS and CAS, and obviously this year is GPS's turn. They don't have a facility with lights to accommodate a night match. Hopefully, it will return to under lights at Knox next year.

Two years ago, the matches were played at Shore - similar timings to today fixtures.

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
With the main event at 3pm, the Barker component does not warm up until the second half of the second half so I expect the GPS to have the half time lead....

Status
Not open for further replies.