• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS 2019

runningrugby1

Herbert Moran (7)
I think Waverley are being over-hyped this year as contenders, they seem to have a handful of star players (imports) like LHW but seem to lack depth and team cohesion by all accounts. They lack the synergy that we saw in the 2017 team who took out the premiership undefeated with the likes of Hardaker and Donaldson, notably having no imports that year. I have also heard word of a number of injuries that will weaken the side. Barker and Knox are front runners IMO.

Can see where you're coming from, but the scores speak for themselves if you take a look.

- 15-0 against Augustines, without many key players. Keeping any team scoreless is no mean feat.
- 49-47 Nearly beating Joeys - without Levi Milford and Marco Morretti, potentially others - putting 47 on Joeys is outstanding regardless of how many conceded.
- 26-26 and 36-36 two narrow draws (which they led until the end) against Kings and Riverview.

They have performed against three of the best GPS schools, unfortunate not to come out with a win. I believe this forum is full of people blowing Waverley's trumpet but I'd have to say they would be amongst the favourites.

For me, they're going to have to tidy up their defence to win the title, particularly in the backline. Volkman is appalling in defence which often goes unnoticed because of his attacking flair. Should not be the CAS 10 due to his poor defence IMO.

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
I think Waverley are being over-hyped this year as contenders, they seem to have a handful of star players (imports) like LHW but seem to lack depth and team cohesion by all accounts. They lack the synergy that we saw in the 2017 team who took out the premiership undefeated with the likes of Hardaker and Donaldson, notably having no imports that year. I have also heard word of a number of injuries that will weaken the side. Barker and Knox are front runners IMO.

I have no idea who will take the cake this year but as far as Barker v Waverley is concerned, I hope the match will be up to the quality of the 2017 and 2018 clashes, which were biblical. If the matches reach anywhere near that standard that will do me. The rest is incidental.

P. Parker

Allen Oxlade (6)
What were the scores across the board for the CAS teams??

I think the trials looked something like this...
trialscores.PNG

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
College of k ... nice baiting.

Imports .... I beg to differ ... I think Waverley's resurgence (in rugby) is attracting talent. Rather than vice versa

Although I would like to see Waverley also have a resurgence in academics. I am the nut job that sees merit in a St Clares/Waverley amalgamation.

Knox ...in 2019 ...I think are rightfully favourites... have thought this for a while ... based on my knowledge of this age group, and confirmed by P Parker's excellent spreadsheet

I forgot that they (Knox) beat shore ... 2 they have most GPS scalps. Cranbrook's hopes I think diminished when Joeys poached (imported/enticed/insert appropriate word) Jude Gibbs.

I don't know that all Cranners starting 15 were at Brook in year 7.

Whether Waverley will be undone by their tough preseason... time will tell

What I do know is there are going to be 3 titanic games in 15As, 16As and 1st xv

Knox are strong in all 3 grades ... so there will be great arm wrestles ... in 2 weeks.

Who is the indigenous star in the Knox 15As? He is one to watch. Shame the 15As is on North Shore... the dark-side

P. Parker

Allen Oxlade (6)
College of k . nice baiting.

Imports .. I beg to differ . I think Waverley's resurgence (in rugby) is attracting talent. Rather than vice versa

Although I would like to see Waverley also have a resurgence in academics. I am the nut job that sees merit in a St Clares/Waverley amalgamation.

Knox .in 2019 .I think are rightfully favourites. have thought this for a while . based on my knowledge of this age group, and confirmed by P Parker's excellent spreadsheet

I forgot that they (Knox) beat shore . 2 they have most GPS scalps. Cranbrook's hopes I think diminished when Joeys poached (imported/enticed/insert appropriate word) Jude Gibbs.

I don't know that all Cranners starting 15 were at Brook in year 7.

Whether Waverley will be undone by their tough preseason. time will tell

What I do know is there are going to be 3 titanic games in 15As, 16As and 1st xv

Knox are strong in all 3 grades . so there will be great arm wrestles . in 2 weeks.

Who is the indigenous star in the Knox 15As? He is one to watch. Shame the 15As is on North Shore. the dark-side

SDW - I don't know that there are any absolute favourites this year.

It seems to me that Barker are building nicely into the season. To almost beat New (despite the myriad reds/yellows to both teams) says a lot. They will only get better.

Waves would have to be favourites, unless the injuries mentioned will keep some of their top talent out for a few more weeks. Even then, with the amount of individual brilliance, they are still a red hot chance. Just look at their for/against when playing 3 top GPS schools...

Knox have shown they can beat anyone on the day, but like Waves, they have faded in the second half, and still have some talent out injured.

Cranbrook are quietly confident with a solid team and new talent this year, and are real contenders.

And I'm thinking that it wasn't Cranbrook having a bad day, but Aloys showing just how talented they are on the weekend, meaning that we can expect them to upset more than just one of the title aspirants this year.

And Trinity, with their injury woes and lack of comparative depth, are probably the only ones we can confidently say won't win the title in 2019.

Round 1 can't come soon enough!

PS - Who was the Scots #3 on the weekend? I thought it was David Pocock running out against Knox. Same looks, shape and size.

runningrugby1

Herbert Moran (7)
PS - Who was the Scots #3 on the weekend? I thought it was David Pocock running out against Knox. Same looks, shape and size.

Dan Botha is his name. Captain of their Scots 1's, played NSW u/16's prop but hasn't progressed much since then. A good leader of the Scots side and has a good physical presence, solid in defence. You are right, does look a fair bit like Pocock.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Jarrah McLeod is the name. Import from Nowra, believe he has been dominating so much they are trying to train him with the firsts a bit. Expect to see him dominating CAS from 2020.

R1, he is no where near training or playing 1sts yet, BUT he is very good, as is that whole 15a team.

axel

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Congratulations to the following students who have been selected to trial for the CAS U16 Rugby team.
First Name Surname School
Tyrone Albertyn Barker College
Jakob Biet Barker College
Jack Colbran Barker College
Aidan Galloway Barker College
Eli Sangala Barker College
Edward Slack-Smith Barker College
Dion Yazdani Barker College
Mateo Baldwin Cranbrook School
Zac McConnell Cranbrook School
Liam Sartina Cranbrook School
Oliver Torrance Cranbrook School
Max White Cranbrook School
Jack Black Knox Grammar School
Romeo Bray Knox Grammar School
Tom Goddard Knox Grammar School
Harry Gosper Knox Grammar School
Charlie Herdman Knox Grammar School
Nicholas Lake Knox Grammar School
Luke Tucker Knox Grammar School
Charlie Bruton St Aloysius College
Austen Clarke St Aloysius College
Wicks Hugo St Aloysius College
Tom Mathias St Aloysius College
Ned McDonagh St Aloysius College
Ed Sisson St Aloysius College
Bertie Alcock Trinity Grammar School
Jack Casmir Trinity Grammar School
Hunter Hannaford Trinity Grammar School
Tyson Jackson Trinity Grammar School
Daniel Morris Trinity Grammar School
Kai Roberts Trinity Grammar School
Joel Caltagirone-Pantano Waverley College
Matt Chapman Waverley College
Emmanuel Di Bartolo Waverley College
Aaron Dimovitch Waverley College
Alex Elder Waverley College
Ethan Flanagan Waverley College
Clem Halaholo Waverley College
Jack Hickey Waverley College
Fritz Jahnke-Tavana Waverley College
Ethan King Waverley College
Davvy Moale Waverley College
Christian Smirnotis Waverley College
Reeve Smith Waverley College
Darcy Sullivan Waverley College
Klayton Thorn Waverley College
Ben Zlattner Waverley College

Reactions: WLF

The Sydney Rugby Ref

Stan Wickham (3)
Congratulations to the following students who have been selected to trial for the CAS U16 Rugby team.
First Name Surname School
Tyrone Albertyn Barker College
Jakob Biet Barker College
Jack Colbran Barker College
Aidan Galloway Barker College
Eli Sangala Barker College
Edward Slack-Smith Barker College
Dion Yazdani Barker College
Mateo Baldwin Cranbrook School
Zac McConnell Cranbrook School
Liam Sartina Cranbrook School
Oliver Torrance Cranbrook School
Max White Cranbrook School
Jack Black Knox Grammar School
Romeo Bray Knox Grammar School
Tom Goddard Knox Grammar School
Harry Gosper Knox Grammar School
Charlie Herdman Knox Grammar School
Nicholas Lake Knox Grammar School
Luke Tucker Knox Grammar School
Charlie Bruton St Aloysius College
Austen Clarke St Aloysius College
Wicks Hugo St Aloysius College
Tom Mathias St Aloysius College
Ned McDonagh St Aloysius College
Ed Sisson St Aloysius College
Bertie Alcock Trinity Grammar School
Jack Casmir Trinity Grammar School
Hunter Hannaford Trinity Grammar School
Tyson Jackson Trinity Grammar School
Daniel Morris Trinity Grammar School
Kai Roberts Trinity Grammar School
Joel Caltagirone-Pantano Waverley College
Matt Chapman Waverley College
Emmanuel Di Bartolo Waverley College
Aaron Dimovitch Waverley College
Alex Elder Waverley College
Ethan Flanagan Waverley College
Clem Halaholo Waverley College
Jack Hickey Waverley College
Fritz Jahnke-Tavana Waverley College
Ethan King Waverley College
Davvy Moale Waverley College
Christian Smirnotis Waverley College
Reeve Smith Waverley College
Darcy Sullivan Waverley College
Klayton Thorn Waverley College
Ben Zlattner Waverley College

Wow, big Waverley representation... I am sure WLF will know these lads (possibly one of them is his son?)

WOW! a bit ridiculous with the amount of boys (imports) that waverly have trialing for the CAS team. It will be hard to not pick any of them since the coach of their own school team is the coach of the CAS team.

Can confirm Cranbrook 16a’s should have sent more players. Especially with their strong pre season results. Will be great to see them beat the Knox and Waverley 16a’s again this year.

runningrugby1

Herbert Moran (7)
R1, he is no where near training or playing 1sts yet, BUT he is very good, as is that whole 15a team.

Yes WLF, I know he's not playing with them but they are getting him a bit of experience in training. I dont even think boys are allowed to play firsts in year 9? Might be wrong.

Steve Jane23

Stan Wickham (3)
What did happen to the racist comments directed towards the Waverley 1st XV players from last year Cranbrook dad?

We’re they dealt with? Or swept under the rug? I am aware of an offical complaint sent to Cranbrook, I imagine they were dealt with properly?

Was there a racist comment? From who? What was said?

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
I don't think College of Knowledge is going to last long

Not even sure who he supports ... but bringing his school into disrepute

so his school's IT Dept. might want to zap him, before he raises his colours