• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

smithandwesson

Peter Burge (5)
dont like to bag referees but thought the newington waverley ref was a bit average

no need for constant 5 minute lectures . yes if a game is getting out of control, I get it . but doesn't make for great viewing . when it was all pretty tame . it was too hot for niggle

my other grip was his penalties against waverley for lifting (in repeated scrums) or something similar . just didn't agree will a series of those penalties .. it (the front row lifting) never happened on Newington's feed . funny that

..the difference is that the Waverley scrum was being driven backwards on its own feed. The Newington was not and didn't need to break up. Referees tend to give penalties to dominant scrums.
I completely disagree, the ref was good in my opinion.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
..the difference is that the Waverley scrum was being driven backwards on its own feed. The Newington was not and didn't need to break up. Referees tend to give penalties to dominant scrums.
I completely disagree, the ref was good in my opinion.
Newington was the better team no doubt about it, despite my being one eyed

But the penalty count was that one-sided That spectators were making calls that he
"Was a one armed referee "

... Yes I know that is standard fare

However 2 observations the strong referees seem to talk out the indiscretions, and help the game flow

If you are changing behaviour during repeat stoppages it is either that the team has no idea or the ref isn't communicating clearly

There was a comical incident when ref gave 5 minute lecture then touchie finally came on ... Lead to a second waverley player being called ... And a second lecture

Don't know maybe it was a plan given it was darn hot

Anyway I know he was technically correct on lots of minor points ...

For example, when newington won another tight head , but scrum had wheeled beyond u19 allowable,so waves got feed ... And newington complained . Heaps of things he was technically right

Just felt as I say he had an average day in terms of it being ... stop , start , lecture , repeat

Anyway waverley will no doubt work on their scrum ... And if sidestepa has footage I will be interested to see if the waverley 4 did in fact score ... As maybe then I might eat a bit of humble pie

sidesteppa

Watty Friend (18)
Two tries from the 2ndXV game, the game was 10-10 with 10 to go. Earlier the Waverley no.12 scored a great individual try when he beat his man then chip n chased to beat the fullback [unfortunately i didn't have the video equipment set up at the time]. Here he makes a tidy assist.

S

sidelineview

What was the ref's call in disallowing the try to Waverley's number 4?
And i agree, too many rugby referees spend too much time lecturing schoolboy teams/players. It's frustrating in that it disrupts the play too often and it seems over the top. The refs are focused on safety and for good reason but they need to deliver the message and just get on with it and stop wasting so much time.
Waverley's 10 defended strongly.

deezebola

Frank Nicholson (4)
And i agree, too many rugby referees spend too much time lecturing schoolboy teams/players. It's frustrating in that it disrupts the play too often and it seems over the top. The refs are focused on safety and for good reason but they need to deliver the message and just get on with it and stop wasting so much time.

held up for #4

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)

It's been a while since I refereed, but I remember having to make decisions in many games between short explanation vs continually penalising the repetitive behaviour. Sometimes a halt in the game gives players a moment to settle down, and the "lecture" as you call it can stop incessant infringements which lead to multiple penalties which in turn lead to more player frustration.

S

sidelineview

It's been a while since I refereed, but I remember having to make decisions in many games between short explanation vs continually penalising the repetitive behaviour. Sometimes a halt in the game gives players a moment to settle down, and the "lecture" as you call it can stop incessant infringements which lead to multiple penalties which in turn lead to more player frustration.

That's a fair point; the referees don't have an easy job.
I suppose it can be a fine line between spoiling a game by issuing multiple penalties and even yellow cards for continual infringements or continually stopping a game by talking at length to players/teams.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Waverley going to ACT. Barker to South africa. Knox to NZ.
Any CAS games over school holidays in Sydney?

Either wAy looking forward to knox versus joeys when school returns.

️Based on preseason form wondering if cranbrook might be the dark horses in 2016... As I have said before ... Good coaches... Depth being the obvious issue.... Probably sensible if not touring

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Ok pre season form based on 2 results

obviously the Kings result 51-10 doesn't look great

but Kings will not be doing as badly as last year

in my estimation Kings will be one of the GPS heavy weights in 2016

where I saw some hope is the respective results versus Marist Ashgrove

Knox beat Marist Ashgrove 43-24
while
Brook beat them 39-17

so bit of a stretch talking on pre season form ... and I have no idea if Marist fielded a weaker team, or if other explanations

anyway see how it unfolds ...Tom Waterhouse's odds have Knox as unbackable favourites ... while Waverley are reasonable odds sitting in a distant 2nd position, with a number of strengths including good depth and handy backs (albeit not overly big)

Status
Not open for further replies.