• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
A couple of random thoughts on Cranbrook vs Knox

Cranbrook are quite a large side. They looked well drilled and committed. The standout player was their captain and 7 - Kemeny. He was nuisance in the line out and in the loose. He made some crucial tackles, possibly saving some tries.
In the backs the 10 Searle and 12 Stenmark were noticeable. They combined well and were also effective in defence. The 15 is a good runner and almost scored with a scintillating run.

However the Cranbrook attack was missing something. They ran and passed a lot, yet their attack couldn't penetrate. Perhaps some run arounds and running straighter than across the field. Against Knox they could hold possession and territory, but they couldn't convert pressure to points. That said I think this is a side that you would underestimate at your peril.

Knox looked far better than last week against Joey's. They looked less lethargic, had better team work, made less basic errors and played at more pace. However they still left points on the field, which would be a worry to the coaches. The line out at times stuttered and some of the tactical kicking was a bit wayward. At times they tried to run the ball from within their 22, yet in Cranbrook's 22 they occasionally kicked instead of keeping ball in hand. They also tended to give away a few too many penalties.

But there were many positives. Their scrum was good (which begs the question about what happened the week before). The pack worked as a unit and was strong in the loose. The captain Bassoon and 6 Margin were good. At times Bassoon ran like a centre.

The forwards were well complimented by the backs. Number 9 Bosch had one his better games I have seen him. He was far more consistent and mixed up his game to better utilise his all round talents. I would still like him to clear the ball a bit quicker from the rucks and mauls at times. I almost think this year's backline is better than last years in that it is more complete. They are also lucky to have Armstrong at 13. If there is a better 13 in the CAS than him, then CAS will be well served in that position.

What should please the Knox coaching staff would be the way Knox responded to last week's loss. They turned up at their next game and won convincingly. They look a fit side as they wore Cranbrook down and became more dominant as the game went on. There is also some depth, there are some very good players in the seconds to choose from. Though I don't think Cranbrook has depth as Knox beat them quite convincingly in the 2nds.

It was a good start to Knox, but they would be aware that they can and should improve. Also be aware that this competition is quite open; complacency would be a worry.

I also had a look at the 16As and in general agree with earlier posts. Knox won easily yet should have won by more. They let themselves down with some silly errors at times. Either trying too hard or lacking some finishing. but it is early days yet. The Cranbrook prop also stood out and was one of the most impressive players on the field. Which seems rather ironic, but he was a step above his team mates. If he was in the Knox side he may have been a little invisible due to Knox having the better players.
The Knox side has a few excellent players. The 13 looks very impressive: at times I wonder if he was too good, as some of things he tried to do ended up not working, as his team mates lacked the awareness to play off him to better effect. (I hope that makes sense.)

The fact that Cranbrook went for uncontested scrums was a worry. Not a good indication of depth. With full scrums Knox would possibly have won by more.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
don't know about footage ... but some great pics on Facebook .. Waverley Sport

this is my fav ... "gone"

FullSizeRender.jpg

oldandslow

Herbert Moran (7)
Any predictions for Round 2?

Aloys host Cranbrook
Knox hosts Barker
Trinity hosts Waverley

Hard to see Barker improving enough to trouble Knox, but Cranbrook would fancy their chances against Aloys and Trinity will take heart from Aloys half-time score at Death Valley this weekend and know that if they can put a 70 minute performance on the park they have the forward power and backline speed to take the points.

Should be a good weekend of rugby.

Although predicting schoolboy rugby scores is a good way to look silly, I'll have a crack.
  • Aloys to beat Cranbrook by 5 in a low-scoring affair.
  • Knox to comfortably account for Barker, with a 30 point win at home.
  • Trinity to upset Waverley with a 6 point win, with accurate goal kicking making the difference.

RugbyHd

Chris McKivat (8)
Little bit of action from 16A's Waverley v Aloys, won by Waves 7-0. The try came with 5mins to go. Great try saving tackle by the Waves fullback with seconds to go.

Both teams look really solid and were spreading the ball well. A lot different to the Knox Vs Cranbrook game

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)
Liam Racsch (6) and Matthew Stead (7). Both good runs, but Stead's in particular was awesome, beating the Barker 8 and 9 with power and the 15 with speed.

Both should be pushing hard for a CAS 1sts spot for sure.

What was the run on team list?

oldandslow

Herbert Moran (7)
1. James Wayland
2. Maxwell Swallow
3. Kristian Souvalliotis
4. Jack Arraj
5. John Bechara
6. Liam Rasch (c)
7. Matthew Stead
8. Sipu Tuitavake (played 13 for Trinity's 1sts last year)
9. Cooper Chambers
10. Lachlan Ilias
11. Michael Park
12. Jordan Morris
13. Matthew Langham
14. Byron Hollingworth-Dessent
15 Ryan Longville

Coach Mr Hugo Engele
Mr Kai Ikeuchi

If Trinity can keep its starting line up on the field this year they will upset some of the more fancied teams but, as with Aloys, depth appears a problem.

The forwards need to focus on discipline and the simple things like second and third man in, but have the power tackling and running to take on any pack.

Chambers and Ilias look good, but need to make sure they're controlling the pack and not the other way around.

Morris and Longville are proven performers and Hollingworth-Dessent is probably the fastest player in the CAS, is a committed defender and looked good under the high ball at the weekend.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...s/news-story/b1329831408eee4305b74350e8ff8f94

Runawayprop

Frank Nicholson (4)
Very happy to have a separate 16s thread, but find it interesting that some of those who declare interest in Opens appear relatively reluctant to contribute whereas 16s posters seem a bit more forthcoming. In a democracy you reap as you sow. If you'd like more opens commentary, give some thought to providing it rather than lamenting its relative absence.
A bit rich to limit this to opens only. Most of the discussion is on 16s - so go with the flow . Anyone game enough to start picking CAS teams for 16s?

BRUMBIEJACK

Larry Dwyer (12)
Any predictions for Round 2?

Aloys host Cranbrook
Knox hosts Barker
Trinity hosts Waverley

Hard to see Barker improving enough to trouble Knox, but Cranbrook would fancy their chances against Aloys and Trinity will take heart from Aloys half-time score at Death Valley this weekend and know that if they can put a 70 minute performance on the park they have the forward power and backline speed to take the points.

Should be a good weekend of rugby.

Although predicting schoolboy rugby scores is a good way to look silly, I'll have a crack.
  • Aloys to beat Cranbrook by 5 in a low-scoring affair.
  • Knox to comfortably account for Barker, with a 30 point win at home.
  • Trinity to upset Waverley with a 6 point win, with accurate goal kicking making the difference.
I would say that, while this is an incomplete Waverley 1sts (in that they have definite weaknesses) that have had some bad injury wobbles before the season starts, and in the trials they are adding a player a week back to the fold. There is good depth this year and next and that always helps. Betting on Waverley this year will be full of angst but on their day they are capable of beating and losing to anyone I fear. But they are well coached by the staff and have good backups so they are capable of anything. They have also won two games after being behind at half time which is a good sign at schoolboy level. And when you can get a game plan entirely wrong as they did in the first half, miss nearly all your kicks for goal, get towelled in the lineouts, lose the yellow card battle 2-1, yet still win by 20 points then you have some talent in the side. And they are pretty fit. I wager they'll start slowly against Trinity but come home with a wet sail. Waverley by 10-15.

Donald Drumph

Stan Wickham (3)
I would say that, while this is an incomplete Waverley 1sts (in that they have definite weaknesses) that have had some bad injury wobbles before the season starts, and in the trials they are adding a player a week back to the fold. There is good depth this year and next and that always helps. Betting on Waverley this year will be full of angst but on their day they are capable of beating and losing to anyone I fear. But they are well coached by the staff and have good backups so they are capable of anything. They have also won two games after being behind at half time which is a good sign at schoolboy level. And when you can get a game plan entirely wrong as they did in the first half, miss nearly all your kicks for goal, get towelled in the lineouts, lose the yellow card battle 2-1, yet still win by 20 points then you have some talent in the side. And they are pretty fit. I wager they'll start slowly against Trinity but come home with a wet sail. Waverley by 10-15.
Trinity will go well if someone can coach their backs to play as at the moment they don't have glue. Against Barker they never looked like they will ever score and yet they have very good players like Longville and Morris and a sprint champ on the wing. Their forwards were dominant and really should have won by a lot more than they did.

oldandslow

Herbert Moran (7)
Trinity will go well if someone can coach their backs to play as at the moment they don't have glue. Against Barker they never looked like they will ever score and yet they have very good players like Longville and Morris and a sprint champ on the wing. Their forwards were dominant and really should have won by a lot more than they did.

Agreed. I think the halves will need to step up and make sure they grab some quick ball when available and let it sing.

WavesToWin

Chris McKivat (8)
Always a super passionate game Waverley vs Trinity whether home or away. Is Hugo Engelle coaching the firsts at Trinity? Always a nice little rivalry there even if no one wants to admit it. Also that Trinity supporters group just behind the goal posts can make or break teams, they either thrive from scoring in front of them or fall victim to the passionate and loud chanting, always some of the best highlights with them involved, can't wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.