• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blazing Saddles

Sydney Middleton (9)
Popped in to Cranbrook and caught most of the game and a few quick observations (apologies for numbers as i did not have a program)-

Scrum time was frustrating for all, given it was the first game of the year however there were a lot of resets at scrum time which slowed the game down. Lineouts as mentioned in other posts Cranbrook performed well, their hookers throws were far more accurate.

Knox controlled the game well, the majority of the pack worked hard, would love to see the 6 and 7 get a bit more of the ball as they were doing a lot of hard work at the breakdown , others were waiting to run the ball.

The 10 was under pressure and coped well despite the service he was recieving, hopefully the combination with the 9 will improve as they get used to each others style of play.The 8 appeared to be used as a first reciever in the 9/10 channel which also led to some confusion (maybe this is a new ploy from coach williams).
The 13 and 15 were standouts , there is plenty of pace out wide for Knox.

For Cranbrook I was certainly impressed with the workrate of the 2, the 7 worked hard around the field.The forward pack worked well as a unit and will improve throughout the year.
The service to 10 was crisp and set the backline up well. Would like to see the 13 get some more ball, he certainly looked very dangerous and could be a darkhorse for rep selection this year. If Cranbrook choose to keep the ball in hand more and use their big backline they wiill threaten all teams.

RugbyFan14

Herbert Moran (7)
Barker's scrum was on roller-skates (I counted 5 tight heads to TGS). I can't recall a more one-sided scrum in a CAS 1st XV game for a very long time.

Anstey (Barker 1) rolled his ankle very early, struggled on for a bit and was then replaced. He is one of the top props in the comp and was badly missed

Jarryd Hayne

Stan Wickham (3)
I am surprised that Cranbrook didn't play Stenmark at 10 and Searle at 12/13. This was relatively successful combination last year. I agree that Woodcock had a solid game. Nothing flashy, but safe and good tackling. I liked watching him, Searle and Stenmark bash into each other. Standing next to them just before the game they must all be 90kg+. Knox goal kicking was a little off thank goodness which balances last year - where I recall Woodcock kicked Cranbrook out of the game.

Karma Police

Allen Oxlade (6)
Trinity have struggled with cohesive backline in the 1sts and many age groups for a while.

Also, their halves are both 16s. Both very good players, but might take them a while to step up. Playing 10 in the 1sts is a lot different to the 15s. Also, Payne will come back in the next few weeks, and should be a big help.

Show and go22

Bob McCowan (2)
quite harsh having Trobec missing out on a starting position over Brown. Seeing as though Barker had a very weak pack last year it is surprising that they are included
Ben Sullivan from Aloys who is currently in the First XV is a must for the 16A side also played North Harbour last year

S

sidelineview

CAS Team of the Week
Fill in the blanks. Pick it to pieces.

1. C.Grindal(K)/J. Wayland (T)
3. L. Smith (W)
4. T. Burston (C)/ Drew-Morris(W)/ T. Woodgate (B)
5. P. Clifton (W)/
6. L. Rasch (T)/ H. Margin (K)
7. M. Stead (T)/ J. Kemeny (C)/ B. O'Sullivan (W)
8. M. Basson (K)/ N. Hrdina (A)
9. T. Jordan (W)/ L. Bosch (K)
10. M. Dainton (A)/ D. Searle (C)/ T. Woodcock (K)
11. J. Mohi (W)
12. Nevison (B)/ T. Fuller (W)/ Morris (T)
13. J. Armstrong (K)/ J. Yoannidis (W)
15. H. Stewart (C)/ R. Longville (T)

rugbyking2

Allen Oxlade (6)
Watched Waverley vs St Aloysius at "Death Valley" on Saturday. Hope the boy who hurt his neck in the 2nd XV is alright. Heaps of standouts in 2s for Waves. I would have their half-back starting over the 1st XV half, much better at organising his team and a crisper pass on him.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Watched Waverley vs St Aloysius at "Death Valley" on Saturday. Hope the boy who hurt his neck in the 2nd XV is alright. Heaps of standouts in 2s for Waves. I would have their half-back starting over the 1st XV half, much better at organising his team and a crisper pass on him.

Coaches at these levels seem to prefer giving the excellent 2nd XV player a bit of game time in firsts before selecting them for a run-on spot. That way a superior performance in 2nds is rewarded and the player gets to prove they can handle the increased demands of 1sts. If the quality gap between 1sts and 2nds is large, great performances in 2nds may not translate into quality 1sts performances.

will harrison

Frank Row (1)
There is a new student at Waverley college Eden Roger-smith no.8 hasn't played too much union with only 2 full games under his belt but he is a game changer with very strong ball running abilities and very solid in defense with not only smashing newingtons prized player tyrone taukamo not once but twice he is making the transition from league seen him play for the under 15s NSW CHS and was terrorizing Queensland also currently training with under 20s roosters he will definitely fit into waverleys style of play great pick up for Waverley college as he still has 2 years of school left

Kilgore Trout

Herbert Moran (7)
The rise of AFL - my son in year 9 at Knox says AFL is taking off - 2 teams in every age group ( really? ) with 18 players on the field that is a lot of players. I can't attest to the veracity of this as he is wont to exaggerate from time to time. I think AFL is seen by some as less dangerous than Union and this may be part of the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)
The rise of AFL - my son in year 9 at Knox says AFL is taking off - 2 teams in every age group ( really? ) with 18 players on the field that is a lot of players. I can't attest to the veracity of this as he is wont to exaggerate from time to time. I think AFL is seen by some as less dangerous than Union and this may be part of the problem.

I think also AFL is working very hard to ensure there is money being invested at the grass roots of their program in Sydney. Union appears to be top heavy in their funding and that has to be the biggest issue facing union at the moment.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)

AFL is a very seductive proposition for sports and head masters. They offer to supply grounds, transport, coaches and umpires, kit and playing gear for free. Even Joeys has succumbed. Thin edge of a very thick wedge.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
AFL is a very seductive proposition for sports and head masters. They offer to supply grounds, transport, coaches and umpires, kit and playing gear for free. Even Joeys has succumbed. Thin edge of a very thick wedge.

I think it is a rather insidious threat. But on the other hand good luck to them. They have money and a commitment to expand their game. Whereas the boffins at the ARU seem to be distracted by other stuff.

I have seen somewhere that years 7 and 8 kids need to watch a firsts game in either Rugby, soccer and from this year AFL. Once upon a time it was just Rugby. Knox is fortunate to have lots of kids in each year so can probably absorb this better than others. However Knox also seems to have an "everyone must win or get a medal or ribbon" mentality in that they offer a lot of different sports. To placate the whims and fancies of the kids rather than direct them to specific sports. I am not sure whether this could lead to a dilution in some sports and I always thought more is often less. Mediocrity rather than excellence. But that is my opinion and could (and quite possibly ) be wrong.

Even with all these other sports one would hope that those wanting to play Rugby always would. But the fact there is a large range of sport on offer could lead to some kids missing out on the opportunity to play that sport. It is not a good thing in the long term.

BRUMBIEJACK

Larry Dwyer (12)
I think also AFL is working very hard to ensure there is money being invested at the grass roots of their program in Sydney. Union appears to be top heavy in their funding and that has to be the biggest issue facing union at the moment.

Couldn't agree more re the funding model. Schools are left to their own devices and it appears that everyone else exists to feed the elite beast. The foundations are weakening at the same time that the sports scene is becoming even more competitive. At Waverley they cap AFL to one team between two years (20 players) so it hasn't had that much of an impact on rugby (yet). Playing away from the school though on enormous fields is pretty soulless compared to a big crowd at a QP home game with your mates, which is one competitive advantage that rugby still holds.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
CAS Team of the Week
Fill in the blanks. Pick it to pieces.

1. C.Grindal(K)/J. Wayland (T)
3. L. Smith (W)
4. T. Burston (C)/ Drew-Morris(W)/ T. Woodgate (B)
5. P. Clifton (W)/
6. L. Rasch (T)/ H. Margin (K)
7. M. Stead (T)/ J. Kemeny (C)/ B. O'Sullivan (W)
8. M. Basson (K)/ N. Hrdina (A)
9. T. Jordan (W)/ L. Bosch (K)
10. M. Dainton (A)/ D. Searle (C)/ T. Woodcock (K)
11. J. Mohi (W)
12. Nevison (B)/ T. Fuller (W)/ Morris (T)
13. J. Armstrong (K)/ J. Yoannidis (W)
15. H. Stewart (C)/ R. Longville (T)

The CAS side will need to have a good set piece and a great scrum. That has been the weakness in the last few years. Especially against the GPS. This year's backline will be more than useful, but I am a bit worried about the tight 5.

BRUMBIEJACK

Larry Dwyer (12)
I think it is a rather insidious threat. But on the other hand good luck to them. They have money and a commitment to expand their game. Whereas the boffins at the ARU seem to be distracted by other stuff.

I have seen somewhere that years 7 and 8 kids need to watch a firsts game in either Rugby, soccer and from this year AFL. Once upon a time it was just Rugby. Knox is fortunate to have lots of kids in each year so can probably absorb this better than others. However Knox also seems to have an "everyone must win or get a medal or ribbon" mentality in that they offer a lot of different sports. To placate the whims and fancies of the kids rather than direct them to specific sports. I am not sure whether this could lead to a dilution in some sports and I always thought more is often less. Mediocrity rather than excellence. But that is my opinion and could (and quite possibly ) be wrong.

Even with all these other sports one would hope that those wanting to play Rugby always would. But the fact there is a large range of sport on offer could lead to some kids missing out on the opportunity to play that sport. It is not a good thing in the long term.

Waverley has the same rule re spectating but it applies to Years 7-11 (one year group allocated per home game) and you can choose soccer or rugby to watch. Last week Year 8 had 150 of 200 watching the rugby which means quite a few soccer players must have watched the 1sts rugby. That's encouraging and reflective of the spectacle that a school rugby game can provide compared to the other winter sports imho - the tunnel, drums, a decent crowd, schoolmates, big hits, tries. Lots of colour and movement. Long may it last.

Karma Police

Allen Oxlade (6)
Trinity halves are both 16s and the 9 was playing mainly openside in the 15s last year.

They are on an improvement curve but both are good players and will learn quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.