• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Show and go22

Bob McCowan (2)
With the prospect of another wet on the weekend, the weather may stop some blowouts.

Though I am quite sure the main oval at Knox can handle bad weather. I think the wet will play more into the relative comparative advantages/ strengths to Cranbrook. That is, their forwards are closer to Knox than their backs.

Aloys will man up against Waverley, and be hoping the rain may hinder the handling of the Waverley backs. And hoping for some 'excessive enthusiasm' by some Waverley players to earn the ire of the ref.

Trinity should be too strong for Barker, with their big forwards relishing their opportunity in the wet.
Shouldn't be too wet on Saturday only predicted to be 1-5mils of rain, it's meant to rain a decent amount on Sunday

S

sidelineview

think a few teams would be hoping for the holidays . as there are quite a few walking wounded

and the season enders sadly are piling up

agree . tipping easy this round . even Barker trinity match is unlikely to be close

But there still should be a lot of interest in individual performances with the 2 CAS teams being named after tomorrow's games.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
While don't think there likely to be any upsets, the cas selections will be interesting ... Particularly given injuries.

I gather searle is back for cranbrook ... So assuming selectors will be interested to see if he is back fully fit

I gather eden rogers is in the season ending category but not as sure on Clifton.. As barring injury he'd be in my starting 15

And I gather there have unfortunately been several of knox's stars with season Enders ... So will interested to know knox"s run on side

I gather knox's 15as lost their star to a state champs injury ... So cranbrook's best chance is probably in that game

In barker game ... I can't see trinity being troubled by a young barker team

Every year barker seem to have a young team ... Presumably year 12 has other priorities ... Girls, hsc ?

Waverley despite an understrength back row should tear aloys apart , care of a full strength backline that has gone from strength to strength, since getting the halves sorted out

S

sidelineview

Searle if fully fit should make CAS 1sts as fly half depending on Dainton's fitness; and he can kick goals.
With Searle fit, Cranbrook should have 2 players in the 1sts with Kemeny filling the number 7 spot.

Waverley's depth in the forwards will be tested with 3 players missing.
Rogers-smith is gone for the season, but not sure of Pat Clifton and Ben O'Sullivan's availablity for CAS next week. Both should make one of the teams if fit.

The run on teams for tomorrow's games for all schools should be interesting from a CAS perspective.

Rugbytragic2015

Bob McCowan (2)
Searle if fully fit should make CAS 1sts as fly half depending on Dainton's fitness; and he can kick goals.
With Searle fit, Cranbrook should have 2 players in the 1sts with Kemeny filling the number 7 spot.

Waverley's depth in the forwards will be tested with 3 players missing.
Rogers-smith is gone for the season, but not sure of Pat Clifton and Ben O'Sullivan's availablity for CAS next week. Both should make one of the teams if fit.

The run on teams for tomorrow's games for all schools should be interesting from a CAS perspective.

I agree with the suggested Kemeny selection. However, I am surprised by the assumption that the Cranbrook 10 should be CAS firsts No. 10. I have only seen Cranbrook once this season, however I was quite underwhelmed with his game. I did watch him twice last year and it seemed that they changed him out for another player to improve the back line. Also, Aren't Cranbrooks backs under-performing generally this year?

I have watched the Knox 10 twice this season and he is very good. He had a great game against Auggies and another a few weeks ago against Trinity in which he scored a brilliant try and set-up a 2nd. Also saw a post a few weeks ago that included him as one of the top try scorers. So, I would have thought that he would walk-in? you would think that the Waverley 10 would also be a contender given their back line performance. I don't know Dainton.

At the end of the day, I know the selectors have to share it around, however I don't think you should select many players from under performing teams - unless they are absolute stand-out performers. Maybe I've just not seen his good games.

What schools are the coaches from this year?

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
"Searle if fully fit should make CAS 1sts as fly half depending on Dainton's fitness; and he can kick goals."

I've seen him play a few times, and he's a good player. CAS 1sts? No. I'd rate him behind Woodcock and Dainton. I'd have him on the bench for the 2nds (or in the 2nds if Dainton is still unfit). I may be doing Donaldson (W) an injustice - I haven't seen him play enough. Searl is a good tactical kicker and has a good passing game. He can run when he takes on the line. But he stands pretty deep and seems to need a lot of time, and Cranbrook often play him at full back in defence which makes me wonder about his defence in the first line. Woodcock and Dainton play closer to the defensive line, which makes them more dangerous in attack. All good players, though.

S

sidelineview

The CAS 1sts Coaches are from Cranbrook; the 2nds Coaches are from Trinity and Barker

Dainton would be my first pick as fly half if fit followed by Searle and then Donadson and Woodcock.
The best 7's imho are Kemeny, O'Sullivan and Stead.

8 players are usually named on the bench for the CAS 2nds.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
U16 Barker beat Trinity 15/10.... Barker 3rds won. 2nds Barker lead 17nil with 10 to go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Waverley 48 -7

Pretty good result given the number of missing forwards.

My understanding was Waverley's O'Sullivan had 2 concussions so was on a 4 week spell ... so hopefully he will feature in CAS teams

and either way will be interested to see the CAS teams.

Anyone got Knox team that played today?

Dontreachyoungbloods

Allen Oxlade (6)
Knox over Cranbrook 36 - 15. Always in control although Cranbrook really kept the pressure on throughout. First I've seen of Kemeny and thought he was superb. Searle not so much - I thought Woodcock was stronger today. Knox made a several of their usual kind of mistakes - pushing the extra pass, not protecting the ball at the breakdown etc - but their defence was as strong as always, and when it clicks in attack they look great. The usual suspects stood out: Basson, Margin, Frost, Armstrong, Stocks etc.

Dontreachyoungbloods

Allen Oxlade (6)
Just posted on CAS site:

Connor Grindell ( K ), Jack Upton ( K ), Liam Smith ( W ), Liam Rasch ( T ), Nicholas Frost ( K ), Hugh Margin ( K ), Josh Kemeny ( C ), Milan Basson ( K ), Tyzac Jordan ( W ), Darcy Searl ( C ), Jackson Mohi ( W ), Jordan Morris ( T ), James Armstrong ( K ), Zac Carr ( W ), Ryan Longville ( T )

2nd XV –

Tim Anstey ( B ), Adam Hassan ( W ), Brady Dawson ( K ), Lachlan Ireland ( K ), Lachlan Drew-Morris ( W ), Matthew Stead ( T ), Ben O’Sullivan ( W ), Mack Matters ( C ), Leo Bosch ( K ), Tom Woodcock ( K ), Jack Mazaraki ( A ), Tom Fuller ( W ), Peter Slaven ( A ), Byron Hollingworth-Dessent ( T ), Harry Stocks ( K ), Res – Finn Wright ( W ), Matt Coghill ( B ), Kristian Souvaliotis ( T ), William Denny ( A ), Thomas Gee ( K ), Alex Heath ( A ), Ben Donaldson ( W ), Jaya Yoannidis ( W ).

Status
Not open for further replies.