• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugby Addict

Herbert Moran (7)
Pat Flaherty played very well for Aloys at 12 against Grammar but to say he showed up Alec Sheldon is simply not true. I would say he matched him and that is a big achievement given Sheldon should be the GPS 12 this year.

Aloys play their annual match against St Pius on Saturday

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
Okay on Sat we have Barker v Oakhill @ Oakhill, Waverley v Newington @ Newington and Trinity play half a game v Shore @ Northbridge. Any knowledge of Knox, Cranbrook and Alos games? Their websites don't seem to allow access to sport details.

I believe Trinity also has a half to play VS St Stanislaus College Bathurst at Shore Grounds Northbridge A at 4;15

theauthority123

Bob McCowan (2)
Okay on Sat we have Barker v Oakhill @ Oakhill, Waverley v Newington @ Newington and Trinity play half a game v Shore @ Northbridge. Any knowledge of Knox, Cranbrook and Alos games? Their websites don't seem to allow access to sport details.

Cranbrook 1st and 2nd XV are up Against Marist Ashgrove from Brisbane

The older I get

Bob McCowan (2)
How did Ashgrove go against Knox?

Knox 43 (Tries Basson 2, Armstrong 2, Bosch, Cutrone, Frost, Conv. Woodcock 4) Bt Marist Ashgrove 24

Score may not be 100% correct. Forgive me in advance.

Both teams a little rusty with handling errors and poor decision making in 1st half. 2nd half was more entertaining. Knox clicked into gear, tightened their defence and started to dominate. Good games by Margin, Armstrong, Cutrone, Frost, Woodcock and Basson. Marist Ashgrove were very well structured and fit. if anything, they just lacked a little mongrel in the forwards and good finishing in the backs. Hope they have a great tour.

BRUMBIEJACK1

Frank Row (1)
Just a match report from the Knox vs Marist games.

Firstly, Basson only scored 1 after a disappointing first half that resulted in an injury. Overall the 1sts did enough to secure victory. Hugh Margin was outstanding after a lacklustre performance last week. He seemed to play with confidence and overall was destructive in his hit ups and great off the ball. Even so, he had lazy points and only managed a score of 9.5/10. Leo Bosch had a mixed game. At half, some of his delivery was questionable and when shifted to his original position of fullback, he sadly missed tackles that resulted in tries. It was strange for Grattan (15) to be subbed off as he had a relatively solid game in defence but still was lost in attack. Tom Woodcock's spot kicking was at points wayward but his attack more than made up for these issues. Armstrong was distracted and his game was sub-standard but his deadly fend and trademark step was once again a feature of the game. Yet, overall Knox seem to improve game by game and inevitably seem firm favourites to go back to back in fantastic style in taking out the CAS competition.

Marist on the other hand tried to play with structure but never found their straps. Their ideas were right but their execution was hysterically poor. They had Knox at the sword 19-19 at half time but failed to go on with the job and make it a closer contest. Knox's fitness (run by a certain Cathy Walsh) was once again the difference. The Marist 10 was a shining light in what seemed a fairly dismal performance.

Finally, Rumour Mill apologises for their scoop about Knox. It was evidently incorrectly fed by bad information. We will endeavour to check our sources next time.

Thank you! Look forward to seeing you at the next CAS Fixture. The next game on our radar will be next term Knox vs St Joseph's as both sides line up at full strength.

Gary Owen III

Syd Malcolm (24)
Cranbrook 1st and 2nd XV are up Against Marist Ashgrove from Brisbane

As per program

Cranbrook 1st XV
1. Tom Chirnside
2. Jack Suriano
3. Joff Pilton
4. Tom Burston
5. Jake Broekhuizen
6. Oli Burston
7. Josh Kemeny (C)
8. Mackenzie Matters
9. Harry Doyle
10. Finnbar Stenmark
11. Spencer O’Connor
12. Darcy Searl (VC)
13. Mitch Dickins
14. George Gibson
15. Harrison Stewart
COACHES
Mr J Boyd
Mr M Giacheri
Marist Ashgrove 1st XV
1. Jayden Arndell
2. Aidan Fabris
3. Tom Rafter
4. Ethan McCall
5. Joe Gavin
6. Max Midgley
7. Nick Jenkins
8. Allan Wratten
9. Jaz Day
10. Issac DeFlavis
11. Charlie Renouf
12. Hayden Ryan
13. Ben Loff
14. Callum McCarthy
15. Ben Bucknell
COACHES
Mr J Fitzgerald
Mr P McIntosh

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
Marist on the other hand tried to play with structure but never found their straps. Their ideas were right but their execution was hysterically poor. They had Knox at the sword 19-19 at half time but failed to go on with the job and make it a closer contest. Knox's fitness (run by a certain Cathy Walsh) was once again the difference. The Marist 10 was a shining light in what seemed a fairly dismal performance.

Finally, Rumour Mill apologises for their scoop about Knox. It was evidently incorrectly fed by bad information. We will endeavour to check our sources next time.

Thank you! Look forward to seeing you at the next CAS Fixture. The next game on our radar will be next term Knox vs St Joseph's as both sides line up at full strength.
BRUMBIEJACK1, Yesterday at 10:28 PM Report

Thanks for the report.
Ashgrove's very first hit-out for the year, so you could probably excuse the poor execution, rust etc. Also, the team for the first trial is rarely the same XV which runs out for the first competition game, although this obviously applies equally to both sides.
I would also assume that on average the Ashgrove boys would be at least a year younger than their Knox opponents, as at most their would be only one of the Ash team turning 18 this year (Jenkins?), with a sprinkling of Under 16's.
I'm hoping for big things from the Ashgrove 10 this year, De Flavis, after he served his apprenticeship last year, good to hear he's started well.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
dont like to bag referees but thought the newington waverley ref was a bit average

no need for constant 5 minute lectures ... yes if a game is getting out of control, I get it ... but doesn't make for great viewing ... when it was all pretty tame ... it was too hot for niggle

my other grip was his penalties against waverley for lifting (in repeated scrums) or something similar ... just didn't agree will a series of those penalties .... it (the front row lifting) never happened on Newington's feed ... funny that

anyway enough on that

i never get a programme so no idea how understrength Newington was ... although Tyrone stuck out like a Goliath ... but he was well contained

the 3 was as big (if not bigger), and he wasn't as well contained

for waverley 11 and 12 were the best of the backs ... and those 2 seem to be able to make something out of nothing

while in the pigs ... I liked 4 and 7 ... both had blinders

Newington 10 copped an injury that saw him in a sling ... so not sure if he was one of the stars?

For my mine Newington were very workmanlike and thought there 3 and tall blonde 13 were their best

pretty sure the star son of All Black winger wasn't playing

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
one thing I will say on Waves chances I think they have some excellent players both in the backs and the forwards, but 2 areas stuck out to me

don't know who told me this ... but do pretty sure it was a Joeys mate ...

"The single most important player in the pigs is your 2 "... they are key to effective line-out and solid scrum

I do gather Waverley's Hassan is meant to be a great bloke ... but assuming he is the first choice hooker I'd be working on him big-time

he did do a few good things ... but I reckon i'd call in that Nick Koutsukis (sic) from a few years back, as to me he definitely looked out of his depth

and on the subject of hookers I think it is problem that good ones don't get made over-night ... and waverley should be looking at up and coming age groups, in this department

so many premiership winning teams (that I can think of) have had awesome hookers

other negative ... lets say area where Waves could improve is the 10 ... personally I though Tyzac worked well at 9, so I'd be leaving him there, and there is enough good in that 10, that you could work with it

but certainly my 2 focus areas would be the 2 and 10 ... both key positions

fix up those areas and reckon Waverley could upset the likes of Knox

I guess time will tell ... and hopefully the above isn't too negative

just my 2 bobs worth .... as reckon this team could be a good-one:mad:

WavesToWin

Chris McKivat (8)
one thing I will say on Waves chances I think they have some excellent players both in the backs and the forwards, but 2 areas stuck out to me

don't know who told me this . but do pretty sure it was a Joeys mate .

"The single most important player in the pigs is your 2 ". they are key to effective line-out and solid scrum

I do gather Waverley's Hassan is meant to be a great bloke . but assuming he is the first choice hooker I'd be working on him big-time

he did do a few good things . but I reckon i'd call in that Nick Koutsukis (sic) from a few years back, as to me he definitely looked out of his depth

and on the subject of hookers I think it is problem that good ones don't get made over-night . and waverley should be looking at up and coming age groups, in this department

so made premiership winning teams have awesome hookers

other negative . lets say area where Waves could improve is the 10 . personally I though Tyzac worked well at 9, so I'd be leaving him there, and there is enough good in that 10, that you could work with it

but certainly my 2 focus areas would be the 2 and 10 . both key positions

fix up those areas and reckon Waverley could upset the likes of Knox

I guess time will tell . and hopefully the above isn't too negative

just my 2 bobs worth .. as reckon this team could be a good-one:mad:

Sorry, what is the pigs?

S

sidelineview

Good comments SonnyDill and also about the 2 and 10 . 12 would be Tom Fuller and 11 Jackson Mohi. New player Eden Rogers-Smith is shaping up well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom