• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
I was only referring to Waverley, no other CAS school; and its only one factor in the equation but a significant one.

A couple of super star kids doesn't make a championship team but a well resourced and structured rugby program underpinned by a strong rugby culture will.

S

sidelineview

A couple of super star kids doesn't make a championship team but a well resourced and structured rugby program underpinned by a strong rugby culture will.

The structure has to be there first, that's a gimme, but a couple of star players in a good team can make the difference between other teams with an equal-standard structure and culture. Even one player can. It's been seen many times over; it can provide the edge.

For example, NSW2 won the 2016 National Championships and gelled during the week in camp to be an excellent team. There were several players with the ''x'' factor in that team such as McTaggart, but the one player who made the most difference was Luke Rixon.

Their performance in working together as a team in the Final was impressive; NSW1 couldn't match them. Rixon scored two brilliant tries in that game. I still think they would have won without him but he put it beyond doubt. That's probably debatable but its my opinion.

Other people who followed the team may or may not agree, but take Rixon out of the team and its very doubtful they would have made the Final in the first place.

White line fever

Fred Wood (13)
The assumption that CAS teams wont be competitive with GPS teams next season in the 5 ''trial'' matches has been made by some GPS people on the AAGPS forum.

It wont make any difference to the results but they've had some fun with it.
GPS folk like to feel superior; that's a gimme, but CAS vs GPS Rep results in recent years for Opens and U16s don't support that assumption of superiority.

However, bringing it back to individual schools is a different matter. The difference in ''recruitment'' policies between GPS and CAS schools is just one factor to consider. It's not like the good old days; the landscape has changed due to the erosion of rugby numbers through the popularity of soccer and AFL.

I'm not too sure how strong Knox will be next season but it looks like Waverley will have another strong team. The two may be evenly matched again. It will be interesting to see how they aim up against the GPS schools.
It will be a rarity to see Waverley people barracking for Knox against GPS teams and vice versa.

I expect Waverley to perform well; they will have a particularly strong forward pack and will be well coached again.

There will at least be some serious bragging rights up for grabs particularly on these forums and the CAS/GPS banter should be entertaining.
Any wins by Waverley or Knox will be sweeter for CAS supporters than wins by GPS schools for GPS people because it will be expected that they only need to go through the motions to secure an easy win. The cocky roosters will be out in force.

My thoughts are that the rugby fortunes of a school like Waverley are cyclical and given the erosion of rugby numbers through soccer and AFL over the years, I have my doubts that they can sustain a strong form of competitiveness year in year out.

However, it is what it is and next season will be interesting with some predicted egg on GPS faces.

Sideline, I know you keep bringing up the cyclical nature of how Waverley may perform, which is absolutely true as this year's 15's and 16's age groups will struggle and will in later years in the opens, but every school is cyclical, no school wins every year, which is healthy, so being cyclical is normal!

Tahs247

Allen Oxlade (6)
I think everyone is too caught up on the recruitment thing.

And while maybe GPS supporters are cocky. I think CAS supporters might be a bit optimistic

On recruitment .. Ok yes, in recent years some of Waverley best junior school players have been lost to other schools . mostly $cots. but also to Joeys, to Trinity and even now Knox

I could list some notables . but that is for another thread

Curious to know if the 3 current year 6 Waverley kids will be in Waverley in Year 7 (2017?)?

I think one of the things the CAS optimists are missing is the difference in training

Waverley trains twice a week . and that is weather permitting . particularly for teams outside of the 1sts

whereas scots have unless I am mistaken something like 5 scheduled sessions . and
this "commitment" (many would argue it is an excessive commitment) has been a big part of them closing the gap on the likes of Joeys (at least in the 1sts)

so along the lines of Sun Tzu's "every battle is won or lost, before it is started"

you would have to be niave to think Waverley has a strong chance against the heavyweights, when the big boys are training twice as much, on their non council regulated grounds

so while Knox probably trains a lot more than twice a week . and does have even flood lit training facilities .. it could be lambs to the slaughter, unless CAS schools are prepared to up their game

for those looking back to the glory days when Waverley did occasionally dust up a Joeys, I think you have to remember who the headmaster was back then . so unless Waverley are planning on bringing back say Hutch from Auggies . I can't see a return to the Wallace era ;)

call me negative, but going on recent prior year results, Waverley's best chance is against the likes of Shore and whoever is in the middle of the GPS pack in 2017. Newington?

Your spot on the money about the amount of talent Waverley have lost over the last few years to Scots and the other regulars. Would be a interesting list to see.

S

sidelineview

Sideline, I know you keep bringing up the cyclical nature of how Waverley may perform, which is absolutely true as this year's 15's and 16's age groups will struggle and will in later years in the opens, but every school is cyclical, no school wins every year, which is healthy, so being cyclical is normal!

Yes but what measures does a school like Waverley take to keep their talented young rugby players and attract more students who happen to play the game, compared to other schools? Do they have the resources to adopt a strategy to achieve that? No

Waverley has a good relationship with the Randwick Rugby Club. In a perfect world the parents of the talented young players from that Club would be offered an incentive to enrol into Waverley instead of say, Marcellin College Randwick which is predominantly a league school and offers cheaper annual fees.

How do any of the rugby authorities assist in helping to attract rugby players to a traditionally strong rugby school like Waverley and to promote the game?. The Swans came bearing gifts when AFL was introduced, but the AFL marketing machine is something else and they have the resources.

What is the culture of the school regarding prioritising rugby in any way? Political correctness prevents any one winter sport being favoured over any others. I suppose it's similar in any school.

SDW made some good points about losing young players and the effect any particular Headmaster has on the rugby program. Who is the new Headmaster and what's his background? Will he be an ex rugby player, or an ex soccer player? Worst case scenario he'll be a big fan of AFL? He may have been a champion in the competitive debating arena in his heyday, or a handy table tennis player.

As previously mentioned, the standard of coaching in the Opens last season was very impressive and the attitude of the 1st XV players was such that they were very committed to training and putting in extras. There is a very good off-season fitness and strength program being run with rugby coaches involved, but how does the overall training and fitness program realistically measure up to other schools?

It looks like Waverley will be subject to the cyclic nature of things more than some other schools they'll be competing against.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Y

SDW made some good points about losing young players and the effect any particular Headmaster has on the rugby program. Who is the new Headmaster and what's his background? Will he be an ex rugby player, or an ex soccer player? Worst case scenario he'll be a big fan of AFL? He may have been a champion in the competitive debating arena in his heyday, or a handy table tennis player.

I heard that none of the candidates were selected and a new Headmaster has yet to be selected. The process may have to be re-started.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
I heard that none of the candidates were selected and a new Headmaster has yet to be selected. The process may have to be re-started.
Is Kings appointing a new head? And where are they with that?

I heard the deputy was overlooked (eventhough he had considerable support within the school community). Apparently he is now at Kinross.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

I heard the deputy was overlooked (eventhough he had considerable support within the school community). Apparently he is now at Kinross.

Kings appointed a guy who runs/ran a Uniting Church school in Perth. It caused a big split in the board with the Old Boys on one side and the Anglican Church members on the other. Even a petition from the OBs who wanted Parry (the Deputy). The Anglican Church in Sydney is far more doctrinaire these days, so the guy they picked will be coming from that angle. Don't think he has a rugby background.

http://sydneyanglicans.net/news/new-head-for-kings

Yes, Parry is now the Headmaster at Kinross.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)

The new Headmaster was appointed last year with a commencement planned for mid to late 2017 I believe. The replacement's name is Tony George (a Trinity Old Boy) from St Stephen's School in Perth.

Andrew Parry (and by far the most qualified in the opinion of many - including me) was overlooked and was subsequently snapped up by Kinross. Their gain is our huge loss. Andrew (an Australian Rugby School Boy Rep in 1978) was a gifted educator, highly respected by the boys and the teaching staff and a huge supporter of Rugby. Andrew has been replaced by an internal appointee, Reverend Stephen Edwards.

Mr George's bio doesn't evidence any particular passion for any one sport but he's apparently been selected by the predominately Church appointed board for his strong theological, academic and business background.

What this all means for Kings and for Kings Rugby remains to be seen.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Is Kings appointing a new head? And where are they with that? I heard the deputy was overlooked (even though he had considerable support within the school community). Apparently he is now at Kinross.

Andrew Parry was appointed to the top job at Kinross Wolaroi a coupla months ago. Read here: http://www.kws.nsw.edu.au/mainlatestnews/n/announcement-of-principal-160727

King's? Last I heard the school council appointed a bible-basher from Perth. Read this: http://sydneyanglicans.net/news/new-head-for-kings

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Kings appointed a guy who runs/ran a Uniting Church school in Perth. It caused a big split in the board with the Old Boys on one side and the Anglican Church members on the other. Even a petition from the OBs who wanted Parry (the Deputy). The Anglican Church in Sydney is far more doctrinaire these days, so the guy they picked will be coming from that angle. Don't think he has a rugby background.

http://sydneyanglicans.net/news/new-head-for-kings

Yes, Parry is now the Headmaster at Kinross.
Be interesting to know what his motivation is. . Would have thought a school of 2600 was a fair achievement already.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
CAS thread maybe not the appropriate forum though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Your right, sorry for wasting valuable CAS thread real estate.

I will immediately start a new thread, entitled 'DICK HEAD HEADMASTERS' and discussion can continue on the role various Heads of school have on the development of Rugby programs.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Same same but different

Re the appointment of headmasters, I am guessing that the process differs between schools ... so not sure whether in the case of a Waverley it is something that the school council decides or whether the Edmund Rice mob has a big input or a right of veto?

I gather Waverley pays an annual fee to Edmund Rice, so it strikes me as a sort of franchise ... so I am guessing Edmund Rice must have some level of input

whether the new deputy is in the running, is also a question ... I would presume that any righted minded ambitious deputy would be keen for the big job

so will be interested to see who gets the gig

I must say, I think being a headmaster in this day and age would be a tough gig ... this generation of kids ... or more importantly the parents .... would be enough to drive any sane individual to frustration

for what it's worth I think the new Waverley head should have a NUMBER 1 KPI of improving HSC results .... as I rightly or wrongly continue to believe that across the board results could be lifted ... I certainly have had conversations with old boys who are of that view that the school's number 1 priority should be to help boys do their academic best

.. by way of example ... the kid that could get an ATAR of 85, needs to have systems (and an environment) ion place to ensure he does in fact get an 85, and doesn't end up drifting .... getting a 75 or 80 ATAR

and similarly the kid who has potential to get 99, doesn't drift to an 89

however beyond that NUMBER 1 objective, that maintaining the school's great traditions ... such as rugby ....would be another key KPI

p#ss off AFL ... leave that to the Mexicans ... stick to the traditional sports ... yes if you have 350 kids in a year like Knox, and you have their budget ... then you can offer everything ...

so anyway hoping for a new Waverley head that is god fearing, not afraid to kick some butt, get some improved HSC results, prevent the poaching of gifted students (academic and sporting) and maintain the strong rugby tradition ... amongst others

and all on a shoe string budget

not asking much :mad:

White line fever

Fred Wood (13)
Can we get some predicted line ups for next year?

Tough call Tahs247 but I will give the Waverley side a go!

1. Wright
2.?
3.McComick.
4.Eden Rodgers Smith
5.Zsabo.
6,Ellis
7.Murphy
8. Moretti.
9. Bell/Thorn
10 Donaldson (C)
11. Andrews
12. Cornish
13.Hardaker.
14?
15?

Some will be correct, but keen to hear other people's views, this is a starting point!

White line fever

Fred Wood (13)
Re the appointment of headmasters, I am guessing that the process differs between schools . so not sure whether in the case of a Waverley it is something that the school council decides or whether the Edmund Rice mob has a big input or a right of veto?

I gather Waverley pays an annual fee to Edmund Rice, so it strikes me as a sort of franchise . so I am guessing Edmund Rice must have some level of input

whether the new deputy is in the running, is also a question . I would presume that any righted minded ambitious deputy would be keen for the big job

so will be interested to see who gets the gig

I must say, I think being a headmaster in this day and age would be a tough gig . this generation of kids . or more importantly the parents .. would be enough to drive any sane individual to frustration

for what it's worth I think the new Waverley head should have a NUMBER 1 KPI of improving HSC results .. as I rightly or wrongly continue to believe that across the board results could be lifted . I certainly have had conversations with old boys who are of that view that the school's number 1 priority should be to help boys do their academic best

.. by way of example . the kid that could get an ATAR of 85, needs to have systems (and an environment) ion place to ensure he does in fact get an 85, and doesn't end up drifting .. getting a 75 or 80 ATAR

and similarly the kid who has potential to get 99, doesn't drift to an 89

however beyond that NUMBER 1 objective, that maintaining the school's great traditions . such as rugby ..would be another key KPI

p#ss off AFL . leave that to the Mexicans . stick to the traditional sports . yes if you have 350 kids in a year like Knox, and you have their budget . then you can offer everything .

so anyway hoping for a new Waverley head that is god fearing, not afraid to kick some butt, get some improved HSC results, prevent the poaching of gifted students (academic and sporting) and maintain the strong rugby tradition . amongst others

and all on a shoe string budget

not asking much :mad:

SDW, You are funny and on the money!

Headmaster in any of the big schools requires a special person. (Nightmare)

Agree with the academic needs, however they did do well this year and last.
Being a non selective school they won't ever top the state, but those boys who apply themselves are doing well, so I would think the resources are available.

In relation to Rugby, and your comment on AFL, couldn't agree more!
We should go down to Victoria and heavily push rugby, see how they like that! Of course we wouldn't, we need all resources here.

When you look at it, the school achieves pretty well across most important categories, and has very strong school spirit, which money alone can't buy!

Status
Not open for further replies.