• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)
Tom Wright was at Waverley in 5 and 6.

He was never poached though, his dad got a job at joeys and took his son with him. The same as everyone would do.

White line fever

Fred Wood (13)
Tom Wright was at Waverley in 5 and 6.

He was never poached though, his dad got a job at joeys and took his son with him. The same as everyone would do.

I have never ever had a problem with potential joeys boys going to the Waverley junior school, I had some great mates (still) who did this, and then in year 7 went to Joeys. The reason is Joeys don' t start until year 7 so I completely
understand this. What is absolutely pathetic are parents, never the boys, who send their boys in year 5 and 6 to the Waverley junior school, and lie through through teeth about going on to year 7 but go elsewhere. The reason is some boys get turned away who would have gone all the way through to year 12.

Some would say that's ok but for mine start at the school you mean to stay at,don't use our school or any other.

Could be why those who stay solid have such strong school spirit.

Tahs247

Allen Oxlade (6)
Correct me if wrong but Nick Makkas was also at Waverley junior before moving on? Could name a list of players Waverley have unfortunately lost, but maybe the wrong thread.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
JOEYS DON'T POACH! EVER! :mad:

Sorry, to correct you, but in the 1980s Joeys had a constant habit of recruiting from other schools.

A Riverview winger from 1980 finished up in the Joeys 1981 side.

Two brothers from Newington, both backs, were recruited and one the played in the 1986 and the 1987 Joeys, the other played in 1990 Joeys side. Both brothers went onto to play in Australian Schoolboys Teams of that era.

A Kings player also finished up in a Joeys team, about the mid 1980s.

And there only the ones I can still record.

In recent years the policy of acquiring players from their fellow GPS has been discontinued. Nevertheless, it caused a lot anger towards Joeys back in the 80s.

They're not King's. Or Newington. Or Scots/Southport/Nudgee/Knox, etc. :rolleyes:

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
JOEYS DON'T POACH! EVER! :mad:

They're not King's. Or Newington. Or Scots/Southport/Nudgee/Knox, etc. :rolleyes:

I forget to mention that Joeys were also the grand masters of the repeat student., as was Shore. Although this issue is now decades past and belongs to another era ( Ended with Jika retiring in 1984). In 1985 Joeys repeated their entire front row, who were all Australian Schoolboys from 1984.

So I will state the obvious, that no one school can claim " A Holy than thou" approach.

Woodcock

Frank Row (1)
I forget to mention that Joeys were also the grand masters of the repeat student., as was Shore. Although this issue is now decades past and belongs to another era ( Ended with Jika retiring in 1984). In 1985 Joeys repeated their entire front row, who were all Australian Schoolboys from 1984.

So I will state the obvious, that no one school can claim " A Holy than thou" approach.

The facts are not correct in this case. In 84 Joeys sported two Schoolboys in the front row (Malloy & Healy) and a couple of others elsewhere (Carmidy & Douglas). Malloy did repeat in 85 but not Healy. In 85 they did have the Schoolboy front row (Malloy, Kennedy & Ryan). Quite a feat! I think you will find that Malloy repeated so he could have a crack at a 10 week tour to the British isles with the 85 schoolboys rather than to play for Joeys. He was not alone in this regard. One Ricky Stuart from St Edmunds did the same.

I don't offer a view on your general proposition but you need to find some more data to support it.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
GUYS READ THE RULES - IF YOU WANT TO TALK ABOUT POACHING, SCHOLARSHIPS, GRANTS, DISCOUNTS OR RECRUITMENT, USE THE APPROPRIATE THREAD WHICH HAS BEEN GOING FOR SIX YEARS NOW.

IT ISOLATES THESE MATTERS FOR THE PEOPLE WHO ARE INTERESTED IN THE SUBJECT. IF SUCH MATTERS ARE DISCUSSED HERE IT BECOMES A SHIT FIGHT.

YOU STILL HAVE TO BE POLITE THERE, BUT STRANGELY - ONCE THE MATTERS ARE DISCUSSED IN THE SCHOLARSHIPS THREAD PEOPLE BECOME MORE POLITE AND REASONABLE.

IN FUTURE ANY POST THAT PERTAINS TO THE SUBJECT WILL BE NUKED - EVEN IF IT IS FOR ONE SENTENCE OF ANY OTHERWISE EXCELLENT POST.

TOUGH LOVE.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
my mail is a pretty handy prop (with rep experience) is moving from $cots to Waverley in 2017

only question is whether he will play in the weakish 16As, helping bolster their forwards,

or if he will trial for Opens ... given there are 2 returning props (Wright & McCormack), guessing he will bide his time

and shows how age groups can fluctuate from strong to weak, and then back to strong (hopefully) :)

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)
Pre season training is well underway at the schools now.

It would be interesting getting an insight into the schools training programs compared to the GPS schools. The weights programs are often set at 3 days a week, plus a couple of field sessions in the summer off season. Have the CAS schools been involved in similar programs to ensure they have the best chance to compete this year?

Hopefully there has been some strong programs in place to help set CAS up for a good year!

CNorth

Herbert Moran (7)
Pre season training is well underway at the schools now.

It would be interesting getting an insight into the schools training programs compared to the GPS schools. The weights programs are often set at 3 days a week, plus a couple of field sessions in the summer off season. Have the CAS schools been involved in similar programs to ensure they have the best chance to compete this year?

Hopefully there has been some strong programs in place to help set CAS up for a good year!

If that's the case CAS should towel up GPS. GPS that I know are doing one skill session non compolusry. Also any member in senior summer sport sides are not allowed to attend.

White line fever

Fred Wood (13)
Fantastic video.

Shows how incredible Nick is in the air as well as his elusive speed and footwork.

The team will be unstoppable with his presence this year.

BM, Nick is certainly a very good player with many many skills, and the Knox team, as usual, will be solid. I love your unstoppable comment, can't beat passion. Think you know there will be many teams who will challenge!

White line fever

Fred Wood (13)
BM, Nick is certainly a very good player with many many skills, and the Knox team, as usual, will be solid. I love your unstoppable comment, can't beat passion. Think you know there will be many teams who will challenge!
Fantastic video.

Shows how incredible Nick is in the air as well as his elusive speed and footwork.

The team will be unstoppable with his presence this year.

BM, I hope Nick goes through and is a wallaby one day.

Status
Not open for further replies.