• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
bearing in mind that 2 x CAS teams will be chosen and sometimes bolters get picked from the 2nds for State teams (Ben O'Sullivan chosen for 2016 Combined States from CAS 2nds)

There will be some bolters for sure. Always is.

One of the best bolter stories of late is Joeys Mathew McTaggart. He played fullback for 2016 Aus Schools.

In 2015 he played 2nds for Joeys, I believe at half back.

This time last year he wasn't considered a definite for Joeys 1sts and certainly not at fullback. Blaise Barnes was favourite for the Joeys 15 jumper, but Blaise got injured in the trials.

Matt then got picked in GPS 2nds and played well enough to make NSW 2nds.

Then he ended up being one of the best players of the Nationals tournament and was rewarded with selection in the Australian schools team.

richard powell

Allen Oxlade (6)
Rich E .. mate love that story about McTaggart.

One of my real concerns about rep teams is that the majority of selections for GPS and CAS are preconceived based on previous district rep teams (which is understandable to a degree) ... but in an ideal world , wouldn't it be great if selectors picked teams on what they actually saw instead of having sheets where they are told to look at 4 to 5 players on each side.

As the great Jack Gibson once said .. "so you are a coach, what do you think is your most important role?" .. "pick talent"

Enough said.

White line fever

Fred Wood (13)
Rich E .. mate love that story about McTaggart.

One of my real concerns about rep teams is that the majority of selections for GPS and CAS are preconceived based on previous district rep teams (which is understandable to a degree) . but in an ideal world , wouldn't it be great if selectors picked teams on what they actually saw instead of having sheets where they are told to look at 4 to 5 players on each side.

As the great Jack Gibson once said .. "so you are a coach, what do you think is your most important role?" .. "pick talent"

Enough said.

Hi Dick,

I have emailed a number from our team with the date.
I will do so again closer, those contactable are very keen to catch up on Sat June 2 for lunch, near Queens Park, prior to the big game.

Be in touch,

DH.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
gentlemen ... this is not a dating ap ... and besides that June 2 is a Friday

ok one of the things about trials, is it is a good opportunity to be experimental
so below are some experimentals

1. Finn Wright
2. H McGuiggan v A Rice
3. Will Mcormick
4. Rogers Smith
5. Thompson v Szabo
6. J Ellis
7. Cornish
8. Moretti
9. Murphy v Bell
10. B Donaldson (Captain)
11. Towns
12. Hardaker
13. Molloy
14. Wallace v Eyles
15. Rayner v Andrews

Talking dates - May 13th ... playing Joeys at Hunters Hill will be awesome

that is a special ground ... hopefully the boys bring their A game

S

sidelineview

There will be some bolters for sure. Always is.

One of the best bolter stories of late is Joeys Mathew McTaggart. He played fullback for 2016 Aus Schools.

In 2015 he played 2nds for Joeys, I believe at half back.

This time last year he wasn't considered a definite for Joeys 1sts and certainly not at fullback. Blaise Barnes was favourite for the Joeys 15 jumper, but Blaise got injured in the trials.

Matt then got picked in GPS 2nds and played well enough to make NSW 2nds.

Then he ended up being one of the best players of the Nationals tournament and was rewarded with selection in the Australian schools team.

And he ended up in the right NSW team as well; ironically, the 2nds.
His luck was in to have ended up in such a talented team that gelled so well during the week and ended up winning the National Championships.

The team was lucky enough to have a good coach and manager as well. Coach: Lachlan White from Trinity; Assistant Coach: Dean Hargeaves from Barker and Manager: Saxon Bowles from Oakhill. Players and staff all got along well.

They made history in being the first NSW2s team to win it since 1977 when Mark and Glen Ella were members of the 2s team. Gary Ella was in the NSW1s team.

They'll never forget that experience and will be mates for life.

McTaggart took his opportunities and played brilliantly at the Nationals to be rewarded with a spot in Aussie Schoolboys team.

3 x NSW2s players ended up making the Schoolboys team and 8 x NSW2s players ended up playing in the Baa Baas team.

A great story........

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
And he ended up in the right NSW team as well; ironically, the 2nds.
His luck was in to have ended up in such a talented team that gelled so well during the week and ended up winning the National Championships.

The team was lucky enough to have a good coach and manager as well. Coach: Lachlan White from Trinity; Assistant Coach: Dean Hargeaves from Barker and Manager: Saxon Bowles from Oakhill. Players and staff all got along well.

They made history in being the first NSW2s team to win it since 1977 when Mark and Glen Ella were members of the 2s team. Gary Ella was in the NSW1s team.

They'll never forget that experience and will be mates for life.

McTaggart took his opportunities and played brilliantly at the Nationals to be rewarded with a spot in Aussie Schoolboys team.

3 x NSW2s players ended up making the Schoolboys team and 8 x NSW2s players made the Baa Baas team.

A great story....

Was a great game for sure. And some freakish tries. See from 1.40 and 4.00 in video below (included for those who've not seen it or wanna watch again). Some GPS lads in that NSW Ii team also back this year - Breen (1) and Rorke (6). And, of course Frost is in video too, playing in 5 for NSW I.

White line fever

Fred Wood (13)
Speaking of dates, I reckon there will be a stack of people from this (and the GPS) thread at the Joeys v Waverley clash. We might have to arrange a meeting place. Would be great to meet some of you blokes.

Great Idea Rich_E,

Keep this thought in mind and we can pick somewhere on the sideline, as the game gets closer.
There will be many people there, and as has always been the case, beating joeys at joeys is special, and rare!

S

sidelineview

gentlemen . this is not a dating ap . and besides that June 2 is a Friday

ok one of the things about trials, is it is a good opportunity to be experimental

1. Finn Wright
2. H McGuiggan v A Rice
3. Will Mcormick
4. Rogers Smith
5. Thompson v Szabo
6. J Ellis
7. Cornish
8. Moretti
9. Murphy v Bell
11. Towns
12. Hardaker
13. Molloy
14. Wallace v Eyles
15. Rayner v Andrews

Talking dates - May 13th . playing Joeys at Hunters Hill will be awesome

that is a special ground . hopefully the boys bring their A game

Murphy at 9?

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
I did say experimental... Murphy' s brother was a good half back, more in the mold of Farr-jones (9th forward) than a zippy tyzac Jordan

And reckon Murphy has a great skill set... not sure if that extends to passing both sides

And he might put more competitive pressure on bell... more than other youngsters (thorn)

Think I have seen mcguiggan play hooker ... and always liked the idea of monster front rows, which is usually what Knox (under Williams) seems to favour

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)
Ri
gentlemen . this is not a dating ap . and besides that June 2 is a Friday

1. Finn Wright
2. H McGuiggan v A Rice
3. Will Mcormick
4. Rogers Smith
5. Thompson v Szabo
6. J Ellis
7. Cornish
8. Moretti
9. Murphy v Bell
11. Towns
12. Hardaker
13. Molloy
14. Wallace v Eyles
15. Rayner v Andrews

Talking dates - May 13th . playing Joeys at Hunters Hill will be awesome

that is a special ground . hopefully the boys bring their A game

Rice is a back rower I believe.

Molloy at centre could work, but probably not this year- he has a lot to learn about the position.

S

sidelineview

I did say experimental. Murphy' s brother was a good half back, more in the mold of Farr-jones (9th forward) than a zippy tyzac Jordan

And reckon Murphy has a great skill set. not sure if that extends to passing both sides

And he might put more competitive pressure on bell. more than other youngsters (thorn)

Think I have seen mcguiggan play hooker . and always liked the idea of monster front rows, which is usually what Knox (under Williams) seems to favour

Both of Murphy's brothers played scrum half for Waverley 1sts but this one: Tadgh, is a different style of player.
He's got skills but not suited for a scrum half.

He's much bigger than his brothers.

A big strong kid who's been used in the centres but is better suited to the forwards because of his toughness, high work rate and mongrel.

He's a punishing defender, a strong runner of the ball and has skills to offload to support players.

He's still got 2 years to play 1sts and as long as he stays injury free, he could go a long way.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
. but in an ideal world , wouldn't it be great if selectors picked teams on what they actually saw.

Pretty sure in 2016, Boys gained selection on performance at Nationals.

Selectors did pick on what they saw.

Pedigrees in Rugby meant little. Ask Michael Fenn and others in NSW I and QLD 1

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
I read in earlier parts of this thread if people had some dates/games for the season. Barkers semester 1 games look like this. ... (B) Barker (A) Away.... April 1st. Oakhill (B). 29th April Shore (A) 6th May Aloys (B) .. 13th May Grammar (A).. 20 May Syd High (B) ..27th May Cranbrook (A) .. 3rd June Trinity (B).. 17th June Aloys (A)... That is all.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
Heard Cornish and Murphy may be trying out for centre positions this year.

Interesting to see they feel the backrow may be too busy to fit them in.

The two centres for Scots last year - Ryan O'Beirne (12) and Archie Gavin (13) were converted back rowers. Worked out very well with them. Come to think of it, the whole 2016 front row also played quite a bit in the backrow in younger years too.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)

Murphy played in centres for a few matches in U14s or 15s. As a Knox supporter, I wish they'd left him there as he had considerably less impact than as a tough mobile loosie. If Waves are keen to repeat the experiment, I'm all for it. 9 would seem a real stretch, but that's what trials are for.

S

sidelineview

I believe Cornish has played a lot in the centres, so that could be a good move; he's a big unit.
The coaches will have a good problem if they have too many good forwards to choose from.

Status
Not open for further replies.