• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sidelineview

Any CAS firsts predictions? Back row will be very highly contested this year.

Can only put forward Waverley players and a few others at this stage as contenders, bearing in mind that 2 x CAS teams will be chosen and sometimes bolters get picked from the 2nds for State teams (Ben O'Sullivan chosen for 2016 Combined States from CAS 2nds):

1. McCormack/Dawson (K)
2. Coghill (B)
3. Wright/Cultone (K)
4. Frost (K)
5. Rogers-Smith/Murphy/Reimer (B)
6. Ellis
7. Cornish/Stead (T)
8. Moretti
9. Bell/Chambers (T)
10. Donaldson/Woodcock (K)
11. Towns
13. Hardaker
14. Hollingsworth-Dessent (T)
15. Payne (T)

_Anonumous_

Frank Row (1)
Waverley predicted 1sts

1. Wright - 1sts
2. Doyle - 2nds
3. McCormack - 1sts
4. Rogers-Smith - 1sts (Injured)
5. Zsabo - 2nds
6. Cornish - Injured
7. Ellis - 1sts
8. Moretti - 1sts
9. Bell - 2nds
10. Donaldson - 1sts
11. Eyles - 2nds
12. Towns - 16A's
13. Hardaker - 2nds
14. Wallace - 2nds/3rds
15. Rayner - 2nds

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)
1sts
1. Wright (Waverley)
2. Coghill (Barker)
3. Cutrone (Knox)
4. Frost (Knox)
5. Reimer (Barker)
6. Cornish (Waverley)
7. Stead (Trinity)
8. Moretti (Waverley)
9. Chambers (Trinity)
10. Woodcock (Knox)
11. Lloyd (Barker)
12. Stenmark (Cranbrook)
13. Hardaker (Waverley)
14. Hollingsworth-Dessent (Trinity)
15. Payne (Trinity)

The scary thing about that team is the entire front row and back row will be pushing for NSW selection. As well as Frost in the mix for schoolboys.

It's one of the stronger CAS sides for a few years.

I do have concerns about Stenmark being marked up against Dom Easy as well, but not sure if there is anyone else that would slot in there. Time will tell.

The Stag

Frank Row (1)
I personally wouldn't have Towns in the Centres

does anyone know what Cornish's preferred position is?

I would prefer a Hardaker/Cornish midfield

or even Andrews/Hardaker

to me Towns is a finisher . and don't know if it is just the games I have seen, but his hands aren't always the best, and better defenders IMHO

either way trials will be interesting, and Rich_e you have put together an awesome "match of the rounds"

I reckon Frost is a freak . he was the only stand-out last year, when Joeys destroyed Knox . and if Knox end up a force in 2017, I think his aerial dominance will be key

certainly Waverley hasn't got anything like that "tall timber"

The Stag

Frank Row (1)
SDW,

I had the pleasure of meeting young Max Towns and was a fine and respectable young man. It s a shame he has left Knox as the rugby program here would have been fantastic for him.IMHO he is that good he should play where ever he wants to and speaking to a few people here IC seemed to be his best position. I hope waverley put him on the wing when we play them as it would be best for us that he is not touching the ball as much as he did crave us up at queens park last year .Also saw him in the CAS vs GPS 16'S final where he was all over dominic easy and was easily the best centre on ground

All the best

S

sidelineview

I wouldnt leave Hardaker out of contention. An excellent player.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
The stag,

Someone once told me, that when it's under 12s you get your best finisher at 10, and then as you move through the age groups you push him out wider

As the older they get , the more competent they should be at moving the ball wider

max to me is a potential Jackson mohi

He isn't that big... he isn't a fuller ( from last year) so he will get banged up at 12

He would be brilliant on the edges

Anyway Waverley have good depth in the forwards and the makings of a backline that would compare to last years great backline ... imho

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Someone back a few posts suggested hardaker was in 3rds... did not see that 10 minutes?!

Although I do agree there are a number of excellent players from last years 2nds, that should keep 16As players in 2nds

Think Waverley 2nds should be a good chance at the comp in 2017, and should fare well against all but the gps heavyweights

S

sidelineview

Thats a big statement SDW but lets hope its true. I agree that Towns should get plenty of opportunities on the wing given the style of coaching from Cornish and Coleman. If he does play wing you can bet he will be well utilised and could pop up anywhere. Smart cookies those Waverley coaches.

redblack

Larry Dwyer (12)
Barring injury, Waverley will have a very mobile and tough forward pack, a more than capable backline and good depth. They also have two of the best coaches in the business who aren't afraid to encourage a confident brand of running rugby. If they can control their discipline, they'll be hard to beat.

Interestingly enough, last season Waverley won good ball in the line out against the tall timbers of Knox by throwing the lightweight Joel Ellis up to compete for the ball.

On Nick Frost, I've seen him play several times, including at the Schoolboy State and Nationals, but he hasn't impressed me too much. Maybe I just caught him on some off days. He will no doubt be heavier, stronger and more mature this season so it will be interesting to see him in action.

^^^ Have to agree with you Sideline. Will be interesting to see if he can vastly improve his defensive and scrummaging efforts to match his attacking prowess.

B

Backline_Move

^^^

How dare you. Nick frost will go down as one the best schoolboy players in History.

S

sidelineview

^^^

How dare you. Nick frost will go down as one the best schoolboy players in History.

Too big a wrap mate! Go easy on him.

He's like every other schoolboy rugby player. He's got strengths and weaknesses. He's got a lot of maturing and filling out to do. Gym time, defensive drills ... etc.

He's no different to any other talented schoolboy. I hope he does continue to develop.

White line fever

Fred Wood (13)
^^^

BM, I agree with you Nick F. is a very fine player,extremely athletic for his size.
The issue he will face, like many of the well known good players, is that he will receive a lot of focus from other teams.

The CAS team posted looks very strong, I think the strongest for quite a while.

I am also a huge Max Towns fan, his father was a schoolboy, so the genes are strong, imo he is an IC, and the more ball he gets, the better.

If you look at who has the best all rounded side I think Waverley are favourite to win this year, but as they say, they look good on paper,what about grass!

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
^^^^

1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 10, 14 from my team list.

With 6, 7, 10 the less likely.

1, 2, 3, 4, 8, 14 will be in a NSW/Combined state team somewhere.

W88, Your 14 was not able to crack a starting jersey for NSW U16s last year and I can't see him getting a NSW opens one over the same competition plus the boys who are backing up in opens again this season.

@SDW, In a similar vein, Towns was running 11.99 for the 100m last season and is not physically dominant by any stretch. Unless he is considerably quicker this year I don't think he willl be a major threat on the wing for Waverley nor crack higher honours in that position.

S

sidelineview

Any opinions on which CAS players have the best shot at further rep honours (NSW, Aussies)?

Front row forward Finn Wright has a big chance of going all the way this year. He was training with the NSW U19s Dev squad before it was disbanded so he's already in the mix.

Good luck to him on his development and improvement this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.