• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Backline_Move

^^^

And we are currently two in a row- so you could say it's correct.

S

sidelineview

^^^

And we are currently two in a row- so you could say it's correct.

Since being joint premiers with Waverley in 2009, the ''untouchable'' Knox team has won it outright once in 2015 and been joint premiers once with Waverley in 2016.

They were favourites in 2014 but went down to Cranbrook and Waverley and ended up coming 2nd in the comp.

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)
Anyone got a Trinity or Waverley side?

1.Ginis
2.Doyle
3.Lambert
4.Driessen
5.Yazbeck
6.Layton
7.Stead
9.Chambers
10.Ilias
12.Edmed
13. Payne (C)
14. Hollingsworth-Dessent
15. ??

Trinity have the making of a very strong team.

Stead is looking very capable, just needs his confidence which the Trinity trial games against some softer opposition will help.

The 9/10 combo will be the powerhouse of the team, if they can get front foot ball, both players are truly outstanding in their capabilities and form.

As school captain, Payne is the front runner for team captain. Has a lot of status among the boys and school staff.

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)
Anyone got a Trinity or Waverley side?

1. McCormick
2. Doyle
3. Wright
4. Szabo
5. Moretti
6. Ellis/Molloy
7. Cornish
8. Rogers-Smith/Murphy
9. Bell
10. Donaldson
11. Wallace
12. Towns
13. Hardaker
14. Tomiosello
15. Andrews

The Waverley pack will win them entire games this year if they are all fit and ready to play.

They have 10 firsts forward they have to fit into 8 spots.

Will still find it hard to find a genuine fullback, but they are lucky Towns has come back. Will make the centre pairing a scary team to defend against.

I also think we will be seeing the younger Moretti get some game time this year. He is built in the same form as his older brother. They would be a very scary second row pairing.

Tahs247

Allen Oxlade (6)
I can see Trinity upsetting a few teams, but just lacking some power and strike forwards.

2017 Predictions

1. Knox
2. Waverley
3. Barker
4. Trinity
5. Aloys
6. Cranbrook

B

Backline_Move

There's another Moretti?!?

What year at school?

Seems unfair you get two!

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)
I can see Trinity upsetting a few teams, but just lacking some power and strike forwards.

2017 Predictions

1. Knox
2. Waverley
3. Barker
4. Trinity
5. Aloys
6. Cranbrook

I have seen a lot of predictions for Knox to take out 2017 and I just can't understand how they are the favourites for so many.

The backrow of Knox will be the weakest it's been since 2012. The likes of Margin and Swinton are a long distant memory.

Without the backrow to get the go forward, look for the Knox team to struggle to create front foot ball and rely on a 10 that has been behind a dominant pack for three years, to find a game much harder when the forwards can't control everything for you.

I hope Knox doesn't continue their driving maul focus, but know they will likely change nothing from their 2015/16 game plan.

They will find it hard against a Barker team that is thirsty to make amends for a few poor years and a Waverley outfit that has 4 potential NSW forwards in the pack.

Tahs247

Allen Oxlade (6)
I just think with Woodcock, Cameron and Pavlakis Knox should have one of the dominant back lines. Along with Dawson, Frost, Cutrone who are all in with good chances for higher honors.

S

sidelineview

How is the depth of the respective teams looking?

Barker and Trinity look like they will field strong teams but how is their depth?
Knox normally have good depth in their ranks.
Waverley will have good depth again.

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)
I just think with Woodcock, Cameron and Pavlakis Knox should have one of the dominant back lines. Along with Dawson, Frost, Cutrone who are all in with good chances for higher honors.

I agree, to an extent.

But Frost hasn't been able to train since October, Cutrone is still nervous coming back from a serious leg break. And Dawson is not up the the same standard as the other 2. But the rest of the pack will be no where near the Knox pack we have seen in the previous years.

Having played under Williams, he has had the same game plan for the last 20 years. It's not going to change now and I don't think his team will be able to play the way it l did in 2015/16.

The backline will have great direction and leadership under woodcock. But he has been supported by a gigantic forward pack for the past few years. Without that luxury he will find his timing and pressure at 10 a different ball game this year.

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)
How is the depth of the respective teams looking?

Barker and Trinity look like they will field strong teams but how is their depth?
Knox normally have good depth in their ranks.
Waverley will have good depth again.

Trinity continually struggle with depth. If they have an injury they find it very hard.

Barker will have serious depth issues this year.

A serious injury to any of their big four and it will make for a long season.

B

Backline_Move

^^^^

Trinity's issue is their coaching staff.

Can't win a game wth 5 NSW players...

Tahs247

Allen Oxlade (6)
Predicted Knox Line Up

1. Dawson
2. Frear/Kennedy
3. Cutrone
4. Frost
5. Humphreys
6. Stenning
7. Collins
8. Garing
9. Hansen/Watson
10. Woodcock
11. Brown/Galleta
12. Myers
13. Cameron
14. Leigh
15. Pavlakis/Watson

Knox will once again have good depth. As said above the back row may be considered a little weak compared to previous years but i have no doubt they will be more then up to it.

The back line looks pretty sharp led by Woodcock. Plenty of power and pace out wide more then capable of putting on some points.

I still think Knox deserve to be early favourites heading into the comp but with only 5 games, it's anyone's to win.

B

Backline_Move

I agree, to an extent.

But Frost hasn't been able to train since October, Cutrone is still nervous coming back from a serious leg break. And Dawson is not up the the same standard as the other 2. But the rest of the pack will be no where near the Knox pack we have seen in the previous years.

Having played under Williams, he has had the same game plan for the last 20 years. It's not going to change now and I don't think his team will be able to play the way it l did in 2015/16.

The backline will have great direction and leadership under woodcock. But he has been supported by a gigantic forward pack for the past few years. Without that luxury he will find his timing and pressure at 10 a different ball game this year.

The time off has been good for Frost.

He has put on quite a bit of size in his legs especially and it has been good for him to get away from the game.

He has a huge season ahead, likely Aus schoolboy selection awaits.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
How tall is Frost? And what does he weigh at the moment? I've never seen him play but from the video I saw earlier in this thread, he looks very tall. Also, will there be any other big locks running around in the CAS this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.