• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Backline_Move

Over 2 metres tall.

No one else comes close.

Last year the two knox second rowers towered above all the other teams.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
That's tall. I don't think there will be anyone in the GPS that height. There will be a couple around 195cm. But not over 200cm.

White line fever

Fred Wood (13)
Someone hack your phone WLF?

Good call riche, no I was just baiting BM as he baits us and some fall for it.
But, I love his efforts and passion, guess why this blog exists!
And when the teams meet and we all take a deep breath.

I know you are a proud Scotsman, and many of my closest mates are, but between you and me, the trial games between the GPS and CAS schools firsts this year should be seriously good,and the various age groups.

In the 2 years after this year, I suspect Waverley will not be strong but reality is most schools aren't fantastic every year, so the mixed Comp shouldn't be ridiculed,year in year out.

I truely believe that the whole process is great, ie more strong rugby schools will play each other. Ultimately leading to a divisional school comp,

I do seriously note that in all these GPS and CAS games, scots are not playing Waverley, and we are the only cross comp teams not playing each other. I for 1 am very disappointed as it is another local derby where a lot of people know each other well, and are friends,through easts rugby/cricket etc.
We were also looking forward to kicking your a....

Regards a neigbour.

S

sidelineview

That's it B_M.
He's obviously a good coach. He did a great job with the NSW2 team but he was in charge of the school 16As.
It seems like a weird set up at Trinity.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
Good call riche, no I was just baiting BM as he baits us and some fall for it.
But, I love his efforts and passion, guess why this blog exists!
And when the teams meet and we all take a deep breath.

I know you are a proud Scotsman, and many of my closest mates are, but between you and me, the trial games between the GPS and CAS schools firsts this year should be seriously good,and the various age groups.

In the 2 years after this year, I suspect Waverley will not be strong but reality is most schools aren't fantastic every year, so the mixed Comp shouldn't be ridiculed,year in year out.

I truely believe that the whole process is great, ie more strong rugby schools will play each other. Ultimately leading to a divisional school comp,

I do seriously note that in all these GPS and CAS games, scots are not playing Waverley, and we are the only cross comp teams not playing each other. I for 1 am very disappointed as it is another local derby where a lot of people know each other well, and are friends,through easts rugby/cricket etc.
We were also looking forward to kicking your a..

Regards a neigbour.

Cheers WLF

I too am disappointed Scots and Waverley aren't playing a trial this year. I reckon it would be a great game.

I grew up just off Birrell St, played Colts at Easts with a stack of Waves guys - all top blokes - and my nephew started there this year. I am hoping Waves go well and will keep a keen eye on their results.

I am really looking forward to seeing how all the trial matches pan out. I'm even thinking I will go to a few non-Scots trials, such is the interest in the GPS V CAS clashes that has been created by all this forum banter.

At this stage I'm thinking I will go to the following trial games.

29/4 View v Knox. It's near where I live now and I just have to see whether Knox are as good as BM makes out. I reckon Knox might have the edge in the forwards but will have to work very hard to contain what should be a quick and elusive View backline.

6/5 Scots v Joeys because I think they will be 2 of the stronger GPS teams this year. Even though Joeys haven't beaten Scots for a while, the matches at Joeys over the last couple of years have only been decided by a few points. Plus I am increasingly getting the sense Joeys will finish higher on the table than they did last year.

13/5 Joeys V Waverley. Again because it's close to me and I reckon it will be a real dog fight. Potentially the two most mobile and skilled forward packs in each of the associations will run each other to a stand still. There is something really special about playing Joeys at Joeys and I reckon your lads will really enjoy the experience.

20/5 Scots v Knox because that's the only CAS match Scots is playing and the post match banter is going to be so entertaining, regardless of the result, that I wanna make sure I have seen the game. I think the forwards will be evenly matched, but Im not sure whether Knox will have the cattle to contain the Scots backs, particularly the outside backs who will be very big and fast. Another reason for wanting to watch Knox early up.

27/5 Joeys v Knox. Ditto re proximity and my gut just tells me this could be one of the best clashes during the trial season. By this stage, we should know whether Knox are 'the real deal'.

Rugby99

Frank Row (1)
My knox 1'st squad prediction
1.Brady Dawson
2.Ben Adams
3.Brady Dawson
4.Nick Frost
5.Tom Humphries
6.Jono Stenning
7.Oliver Harvison
8.Dan Garing
9.Ben Hansen
10.Tom Woodcock
11.Tom Leigh
12.Hunter Myers
13.Octavio Galletta/Bow luland
14.Tom Brown
15.Mike Pavlarkis

Mr Touch Finder

Peter Burge (5)
How tall is Frost? And what does he weigh at the moment? I've never seen him play but from the video I saw earlier in this thread, he looks very tall. Also, will there be any other big locks running around in the CAS this year?
From memory, if my sources are correct, Frost was running around last year at 204cm and 106kg. He was just 16......
For a big lad he is extremely athletic.

S

sidelineview

From memory, if my sources are correct, Frost was running around last year at 204cm and 106kg. He was just 16..
For a big lad he is extremely athletic.

It's probably not fair to wrap a player so much, but time will tell.
Hopefully he ignores all the hype and has a realistic view of the areas in which he needs to improve and he enjoys his rugby as he develops.

White line fever

Fred Wood (13)
Cheers WLF

I too am disappointed Scots and Waverley aren't playing a trial this year. I reckon it would be a great game.

I grew up just off Birrell St, played Colts at Easts with a stack of Waves guys - all top blokes - and my nephew started there this year. I am hoping Waves go well and will keep a keen eye on their results.

I am really looking forward to seeing how all the trial matches pan out. I'm even thinking I will go to a few non-Scots trials, such is the interest in the GPS V CAS clashes that has been created by all this forum banter.

At this stage I'm thinking I will go to the following trial games.

29/4 View v Knox. It's near where I live now and I just have to see whether Knox are as good as BM makes out. I reckon Knox might have the edge in the forwards but will have to work very hard to contain what should be a quick and elusive View backline.

6/5 Scots v Joeys because I think they will be 2 of the stronger GPS teams this year. Even though Joeys haven't beaten Scots for a while, the matches at Joeys over the last couple of years have only been decided by a few points. Plus I am increasingly getting the sense Joeys will finish higher on the table than they did last year.

13/5 Joeys V Waverley. Again because it's close to me and I reckon it will be a real dog fight. Potentially the two most mobile and skilled forward backs in each of the associations will run each other to a stand still. There is something really special about playing Joeys at Joeys and I reckon your lads will really enjoy the experience.

20/5 Scots v Knox because that's the only CAS match Scots is playing and the post match banter is going to be so entertaining, regardless of the result, that I wanna make sure I have seen the game. I think the forwards will be evenly matched, but Im not sure whether Knox will have the cattle to contain the Scots backs, particularly the outside backs who will be very big and fast. Another reason for wanting to watch Knox early up.

27/5 Joeys v Knox. Ditto re proximity and my gut just tells me this could be one of the best clashes during the trial season. By this stage, we should know whether Knox are 'the real deal'.

Rich_E,

You have listed some great games, and isn't it interesting how much anticipation now surrounds these match ups. Remember a lot of people were saying the whole thing is ridiculous!

Of course it has to deliver but the expectation is great.

From what I read from those "in the know", a number of teams have some very strong players and no 1 team appears to be so dominant.
Time will tell.

Back in the good old days we all used to play each other, and now we are again. I certainly hope we get to play Scots again some day.
It's odd because we played each other last year.

I suspect you also can't wait!

White line fever

Fred Wood (13)
1. McCormick
2. Doyle
3. Wright
4. Szabo
5. Moretti
6. Ellis/Molloy
7. Cornish
8. Rogers-Smith/Murphy
9. Bell
10. Donaldson
11. Wallace
12. Towns
13. Hardaker
14. Tomiosello
15. Andrews

The Waverley pack will win them entire games this year if they are all fit and ready to play.

They have 10 firsts forward they have to fit into 8 spots.

Will still find it hard to find a genuine fullback, but they are lucky Towns has come back. Will make the centre pairing a scary team to defend against.

I also think we will be seeing the younger Moretti get some game time this year. He is built in the same form as his older brother. They would be a very scary second row pairing.

W8, I think Moretti will be no 8 for sure.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
I personally wouldn't have Towns in the Centres

does anyone know what Cornish's preferred position is?

I would prefer a Hardaker/Cornish midfield

or even Andrews/Hardaker

to me Towns is a finisher ... and don't know if it is just the games I have seen, but his hands aren't always the best, and better defenders IMHO

either way trials will be interesting, and Rich_e you have put together an awesome "match of the rounds"

I reckon Frost is a freak ... he was the only stand-out last year, when Joeys destroyed Knox ... and if Knox end up a force in 2017, I think his aerial dominance will be key

certainly Waverley hasn't got anything like that "tall timber"

White line fever

Fred Wood (13)
SDW,

I had a conversation last sat with a senior Waverley teacher, who is at the forefront. He believes Cornish will be a breakaway/flanker, which I was told is his natural/preferred position.

The good problem Waverley has is so many talented back rowers!

I think William88's team is very close, however I think Moretti will be the no.8.

I have seen Finn Wright a few times recently, he is looking superb!
Training very hard, as they all have been, the new gym is unbelieveable, so much so, that Randwick are coming up now to use it.

S

sidelineview

Barring injury, Waverley will have a very mobile and tough forward pack, a more than capable backline and good depth. They also have two of the best coaches in the business who aren't afraid to encourage a confident brand of running rugby. If they can control their discipline, they'll be hard to beat.

Interestingly enough, last season Waverley won good ball in the line out against the tall timbers of Knox by throwing the lightweight Joel Ellis up to compete for the ball.

On Nick Frost, I've seen him play several times, including at the Schoolboy State and Nationals, but he hasn't impressed me too much. Maybe I just caught him on some off days. He will no doubt be heavier, stronger and more mature this season so it will be interesting to see him in action.

B

Backline_Move

Any CAS firsts predictions? Back row will be very highly contested this year.

1sts
1. Wright (Waverley)
2. Coghill (Barker)
3. Cutrone (Knox)
4. Frost (Knox)
5. Reimer (Barker)
6. Cornish (Waverley)
7. Stead (Trinity)
8. Moretti (Waverley)
9. Chambers (Trinity)
10. Woodcock (Knox)
11. Lloyd (Barker)