• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
A big congrats to the selectors. They got a lot right this week. Both teams clicked well and their positional selections were spot on. In the 2nds the front row was dominant while Woodcock was the general running the beautifully with great service from Tecjek.

In the 1sts, the Waverley boys stood out, led by Donaldson with Flynn,Morreti,Stead and Frost all playing a major part. Frost is quick. In the backs, Hollingworth-Dissent and Lloyd were superb in defence with around the legs tackles stopping their bigger counterparts, while the the knox fullback was just fabulous on the counter with ball in hand.

Looking all over the park, I am genuinely struggling to see where man on man, the GPS lad outplayed his CAS counterpart, despite my "Red Glasses".

I will acknowledge that the entire first half was played inside the CAS 10m line. The fact that GPS did not score despite a mountain of possession, is testament to the intent of the CAS lads. They would not yield.

From the GPS perspective, Yasmin, the Scots man mountain winger did not see the ball all game, which was a pity as he would take a truck to stop him. But this year, the CAS have lots of trucks.

A rare win for the CAS but 26 blot is a win for the ages.

Dontreachyoungbloods

Allen Oxlade (6)
Agreed Rod - I'd also call out Hardaker as one of the best. His strength in defense was outstanding. Another point was that the reserves who came on after their great game in the 2nds maintained the pressure. It says a lot for the depth of CAS this year. I actually think it could have been an even more dominant win as CAS made quite a few mistakes with many passes being thrown just too high for the man coming on to the ball, especially in the first half. Once that settled down in the second half the momentum really started to turn.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Max was subbed due to injury about 25 min in the 1st half. Dawson came on after a big game in the 2's. Finn wright was better around the park than in the set piece. To be honest the CAS 2nds front row could well have done as good a job. MY NSW front row would be Dawson cas 2, Rahme cas 2, Wright Cas1. Morreti, Stead, Reimer cornish outplayed their counterpart both in the loose and the tight.

But it was Donaldson, Hardacker Pavlakis, Hollingworth-Dissent, Lloyd that turned the match with great defense and fabulous counter attack.

S

sidelineview

I think Donaldson and Woodcock will be the NSW 1 and NSW2 number 10s. Both had outstanding games.

I wouldn't count that out. Donaldson was MOM in the 1sts and Woodcock controlled the game really well in the 2nds.
In fact when he was shifted out of the number 10 spot the 2nd XV lost their way

michaelhooper

Bob McCowan (2)
I was so impressed with the CAS teams tonight.

The 1sts forward pack and the 2nds backline were very impressive.

The 2nds deserved to win the game with fantastic mistake- free rugby. The forwards recycled the ball well and let thebackline work their magic. THe 2nds backs were very dominant over a supposedly star studded GPS backline. They looked dangerous every time they had the ball. I have no idea why they changed the backline early in 2nd half. However I suppose they needed to give the reserves a run.

In the firsts game, both teams were full of mistakes and defensive errors in the first half. However they got it together in the 2nd half with forwards maintaining possession and doing some awesome defensive work. The backs secured two intercepts and looked dangerous in the 2nd half.

I think best players for CAS tonight were:
2nds
Woodcock - Brilliant. Showed all the skills and led his backline and team well.
Wallace - Dangerous in attack and Great try through the gap
Garing - elusive runner and strong over the ball
Dawson - Very strong scrummaging

1sts
Wright - Continued menace and strong scrummaging
Donaldson - Took his opportunities
Pavlakis - Dynamic with ball in hand
Moretti - Ball skills

I think all these boys and several more put their hand up.

Mr Touch Finder

Peter Burge (5)
A big congrats to the selectors. They got a lot right this week. Both teams clicked well and their positional selections were spot on. In the 2nds the front row was dominant while Woodcock was the general running the beautifully with great service from Tecjek.

In the 1sts, the Waverley boys stood out, led by Donaldson with Flynn,Morreti,Stead and Frost all playing a major part. Frost is quick. In the backs, Hollingworth-Dissent and Lloyd were superb in defence with around the legs tackles stopping their bigger counterparts, while the the knox fullback was just fabulous on the counter with ball in hand.

Looking all over the park, I am genuinely struggling to see where man on man, the GPS lad outplayed his CAS counterpart, despite my "Red Glasses".

I will acknowledge that the entire first half was played inside the CAS 10m line. The fact that GPS did not score despite a mountain of possession, is testament to the intent of the CAS lads. They would not yield.

From the GPS perspective, Yasmin, the Scots man mountain winger did not see the ball all game, which was a pity as he would take a truck to stop him. But this year, the CAS have lots of trucks.

A rare win for the CAS but 26 blot is a win for the ages.

Unfortunately didn't get to catch the game :(

But how good is that!! Surely its the first time in a long time that CAS have kept GPS scoreless?!

How did the players to? Did Wright and Frost live up to their Aussie schools expectations?

S

sidelineview

CAS scored some brilliant tries in the 2nd half but it was their defence that won it for them. It was outstanding right across the park.

The amount of tackling the forwards (and the whole team) did without having their line breached was amazing.

I lost count how many times GPS looked like they would score but couldn't break through, especially in the first half when they were parked in the CAS, red zone for much of the time.

The players who took a step closer to gaining a state jumper for mine were: Donaldson, Hardaker, Wright, Moretti, Cornish, Stead, Reimer, Frost but I wouldn't argue with any other names being added either.

In the 2nds, CAS were the dominant team but lost their rhythm when the replacements were bought on and gave away points. Woodcock controlled the game and I was very impressed with the scrum half, Tejcek.

Now onto ISA on Friday.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
CAS scored some brilliant tries in the 2nd half but it was their defence that won it for them. It was outstanding right across the park.

The amount of tackling the forwards (and the whole team) did without having their line breached was amazing.

I lost count how many times GPS looked like they would score but couldn't break through, especially in the first half when they were parked in the CAS, red zone for much of the time.

The players who took a step closer to gaining a state jumper for mine were: Donaldson, Hardaker, Wright, Moretti, Cornish, Stead, Reimer, Frost but I wouldn't argue with any other names being added either.

In the 2nds, CAS were the dominant team but lost their rhythm when the replacements were bought on and gave away points. Woodcock controlled the game and I was very impressed with the scrum half, Tejcek.

Now onto ISA on Friday.

Yes the replacements disrupted the flow established by the starting XV. I will say this though they still did well. The coach had to give the reserves a good run . The GPS 2nds kept their team in tact as the GPS white and Blue were their reserves and had already played a full game.

S

sidelineview

Yes the replacements disrupted the flow established by the starting XV. I will say this though they still did well. The coach had to give the reserves a good run . The GPS 2nds kept their team in tact as the GPS white and Blue were their reserves and had already played a full game.

True, they had to give the other players a run and I'm glad they did, but if the games tight on Friday they should leave woodcock in as fly half.
And how good is the little Barker scrummie. He's got a future.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
It's a good year for CAS - three schools are strong and two of them have been pushed hard by Trinity who will do well to come fourth. Excepting a poor year for Cranbrook the standard is high across the competition.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
I volanteered as did another writer but nothing was heard. The gps summary of weekends games was posted. He is normally very good at replying. I hope all is ok. He is no spring chicken.

Status
Not open for further replies.