• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Onside

Frank Nicholson (4)
Some iPhone snaps of the CAS v GPS game last night
IMG_1985.JPG.jpeg
IMG_1993.JPG.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1984.JPG.jpeg
    IMG_1984.JPG.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 230
  • IMG_1989.JPG.jpeg
    IMG_1989.JPG.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 222

moa999

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Should also add was a decent crowd, particularly from CAS schools Knox, Waverley and Barker.
Knox had a big crowd at the far end from this vantage point

Shore had most noticeable representation of the GPS
4c948ca810127d46f3279fdcfb77c0c8.jpg

S

sidelineview

Am I correct in saying that Tejcek from Barker is in year 11, or am I completely wrong?

That's my understanding.

If so, he will be one to watch next year.
Although, players do at times get selected in State teams from the 2nds.

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)
Some interesting things to think about with such a dominant CAS victory this year.

Usually in NSW selections, the majority of the GPS 1sts side makes NSW selection in one way or another and their are normally 6-8 selections from the 2nds.

The CAS normally gets 8-10 in NSW selection as a mix from their firsts and seconds.

The GPS firsts couldn't score any points, and the GPS seconds were behind until all the reserves came on (A reason why the CAS should have a thirds trial game like GPS do with blue and white, so coaches aren't forced to give kids a run that aren't up to that level).

Will the tide turn this year with such a dominant victory, or will it be business as usual?

Will players be selected out of the blue and white trial teams over the CAS 1sts, as has consistently happened over the years?

Time will tell, but it is an interesting time to watch the effect this outcome has on NSW selections.

B

Backline_Move

Everyone from the CAS firsts but from the seconds:

Dawson
McCormick
Northcot
Whiteman
Garing
Tejcek
Woodcock
Galetta
Wallace

That's the 9 that should be in NSW contention from CAS seconds

S

sidelineview

Some interesting things to think about with such a dominant CAS victory this year.

Usually in NSW selections, the majority of the GPS 1sts side makes NSW selection in one way or another and their are normally 6-8 selections from the 2nds.

The CAS normally gets 8-10 in NSW selection as a mix from their firsts and seconds.

The GPS firsts couldn't score any points, and the GPS seconds were behind until all the reserves came on (A reason why the CAS should have a thirds trial game like GPS do with blue and white, so coaches aren't forced to give kids a run that aren't up to that level).

Will the tide turn this year with such a dominant victory, or will it be business as usual?

Will players be selected out of the blue and white trial teams over the CAS 1sts, as has consistently happened over the years?

Time will tell, but it is an interesting time to watch the effect this outcome has on NSW selections.

It will be interesting and its a good question to consider but my guess is No.

This should be the year it turns around.
The Waratahs who are more involved with schoolboy rugby now can't afford to let good players slip through the net. Australian rugby cant afford it.
I'm certain they will pick the form players (with some controversial selections thrown in as per normal).
NSW Rugby want the best players to filter into their systems: the U19s & U20s Gen Blue squads.

The fact is GPS players have deserved to be selected based on results in the past.
Two years ago GPS 1sts beat CAS 50-0, but that was an exceptional crop of GPS players with the likes of Theo Strang & co.
This year CAS has an exceptional crop of players.

Last season GPS 1sts won but CAS was very competitive. 12 CAS players made State teams, 1 made the Aussie Schoolboys and 3 were selected to play for the Barbarians team.
32 GPS players made State teams last season.

I cant recall what happened in 2014 but it was probably dominated by GPS players.

i agree it will be very interesting to see if any players from the GPS Blue/White trials will be selected over CAS players in State teams but I'm guessing this is the year it turns around.

B

Backline_Move

I believe that year CAS were dominated, CAS only had 1 player in state teams- Lachlan Swinton.

It will be interesting to see if the same applies to GPS now that they are being dominated.

Waratahstowin

Bob McCowan (2)

To confirm, NSW squad selections in 2016:

2016 NSW 1sts GPS 12 CAS 6
2016 NSW 2nds GPS 9 CAS 6

2016 TOTALS. GPS 21 CAS 12

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)
The total amount of GPS players that played in the state championships was 34 when combined states are included. (39 including the 5 shadow players)

11 (12 including the CAS shadow) from CAS as O'Sullivan was selected as shadow in NsW but then became a starter for Combined states.

That 34 that played at state champs transferred to 13 Aus or Aus A selections.

That CAS 11 created 3.

S

sidelineview

To confirm, NSW squad selections in 2016:

2016 NSW 1sts GPS 12 CAS 6
2016 NSW 2nds GPS 9 CAS 6

2016 TOTALS. GPS 21 CAS 12

Yeah, close enough.

GPS had roughly 3 times more State players and Aussie Schoolboys players.

We'll see how it ends up on Saturday night and Monday night (Combined States)

Will Lloyd has been tearing the GPS competition a new one, his excellent speed and size and low tackles are just a scratch on the surface of what he really is. This mountain of a man has serious futures ahead of him and would not look out of place in an Australian jersey, his ability to hold onto the ball in space astounds me, coach Hargreaves has been working magic on this young lad.

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
Will Lloyd has been tearing the GPS competition a new one, his excellent speed and size and low tackles are just a scratch on the surface of what he really is. This mountain of a man has serious futures ahead of him and would not look out of place in an Australian jersey, his ability to hold onto the ball in space astounds me, coach Hargreaves has been working magic on this young lad.

Yes I have noticed Will is maturing and increasing in skill with each game. His tackling is clean, hard and bone crushing. When he has the ball in hand the awesome speed he has can get him through the smallest of gaps. I agree I think he will go a long way.

S

sidelineview

Yes I have noticed Will is maturing and increasing in skill with each game. His tackling is clean, hard and bone crushing. When he has the ball in hand the awesome speed he has can get him through the smallest of gaps. I agree I think he will go a long way.

I thought Lloyd played really well against GPS.
I liked the way he was always looking to get involved.

Rugby Survivor

Ward Prentice (10)
There is no doubt CAS will get a better representation into NSW this year as deserved. However can we ensure that only those players eligible to continue playing rugby in 2018 get selected.
No point in trying to develop players for future rugby careers if they will be leaving our code in 2018.

S

sidelineview

There is no doubt CAS will get a better representation into NSW this year as deserved. However can we ensure that only those players eligible to continue playing rugby in 2018 get selected.
No point in trying to develop players for future rugby careers if they will be leaving our code in 2018.

This issue was raised last season but the truth is some players have a finger in each pie, league and union and remain undecided at this stage as to what code they will continue to play in 2018.

For example 3 Waverley players were selected to represent CIS in league in Qld just after the rugby schoolboy Nationals last season.

To cut a long story short only one is playing league now while 2 play Colts and are in the GenBlue system.

Status
Not open for further replies.