• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ioverugby24/7

Frank Nicholson (4)
NSW Schools Rugby Championships

Carigul Oval, North Turramurra

23rd June 2017

Knox Grammar very kindly hosted the 2017 NSW Secondary Schools State Championships on 23rd June 2017. It’s a good venue and creates a rugby community atmosphere at Carigul Oval. A light Southerly blew a cool breeze across the oval. However, with the best schoolboy rugby players in NSW on show - things out on the field were about to heat-up!

The first game of the State Carnival kicked off on time at 10.00am.

AICES Vs ISA II

The game started with both forward packs badly fumbling ball and showing poor handling skills. Neither of the backlines were passing or running smoothly. Possession was shared, however it was proving to be a messy game of errors by both teams. Despite this, ISA managed to scramble for several tries – many against the run of play.

26-7 half time

The 2nd half continued to be a dour game, not reflective of the talent on the field, with too many handling errors by both teams. The boys were becoming increasingly frustrated. AICES in particular would have been disappointed with their performance. It wasn’t that ISA II were playing particularly well, they were just making fewer mistakes and putting together 3-4 phases, instead of 1-2.

Ultimately, ISA II won this game by having fewer errors and managing to string together more phases through both the forward and backs.

Final score ISA def AICES 46-7

CAS II Vs CCC

CAS II started hesitantly with their forwards making several handling errors. CCC scored first with a barging direct run from their 13.

However, CCC did not look like scoring for the rest of the game. The CAS II backline defense was rock solid. They also looked very impressive with ball in hand – Their 10 spinning it wide through the hands and making good metres at will. CAS started to pile-on the points. Their backline structure in both defence and attack was very controlled and well disciplined. Possibly best backline at the carnival.

CCC forwards were doing some spirited work and disrupting the CAS II forward pack. CAS II forwards must have handed-over 50% possession in the 2nd half.

Based on their quality of play and results, I rate this CAS team as 2nd or 3rd best team in this comp.

Final score: CAS II 40 def CCC 7

CAS I Vs ISA I

CAS I were penalised heavily in 1st half and couldn’t retain possession. The error rate was very high and this looked like a very different team to the one that beat GPS and kept them scoreless on Tuesday night.

CAS backline was not working well at all, and a combination of poor passes and knock-ons kept ISA well in the hunt for most of the first half. At this stage, the ISA I forwards were playing better than CAS forward pack.

The ISA backs were also sending it wide, running freely and making metres around the edges. They were looking much more confident than CAS backs.

Halftime 7-7 all. ISA were looking strong. Could this be an upset?

The only Yellow card of the day was given to Finn Wright from CAS for a fairly innocuous off-side play. Many were surprised that it was worthy of yellow.

CAS finally managed to retain possession and ran-in 2 tries.

CAS’s momentum swung with ISA dropping off in defence and perhaps looking a little less fit. This also coincided with CAS running on their reserves.

Overall I would say that CAS forward pack slightly outclassed ISA. However, ISA backs looked stronger and more dangerous than CAS with ball in hand. This was a surprise.

CAS I 28 def ISA I7

GPS II VS CHS II

Another game full of handling errors. There were a lot of nervous boys out there today!

19-12 to GPS II at half time. However, CHS II were putting on a real show.

The CHS boys look ‘hard’ and at times flashy,but technically a bit loose. GPS continued to struggle putting phases together.

GPS succeeded in swinging it wide in 2nd half and making good metres.

CHS were very unstructured, but didn't give up in a good fight.

After the dominant tackle of the day by GPS on the huge CHS No. 3 - driving him back from the GPS try line, CHS crossed for a 4th consolation try. A feisty effort by CHS II against the better drilled GPS team.

Final score GPS II 45 def CHS II 22

GPS I VS CHS I

From the kick-off, GPS scored early with fast hands and the GPS winger scored in the corner.

CHS quickly fought back with a great try to 12 Joey Walton.

CHS were then leading 5-7 for 15 minutes and had the smell of blood. Their spirits lifted.

The GPS backs were being overly selfish, and then often dropping ball.

GPS I were not performing to the standard that we have typically expected from them at this carnival. Perhaps they were rattled from their defeat in Tuesday night, or just nervous. The large CHS boys were disrupting them and in some areas dominating.

Finally, GPS managed to run straight and score under the posts. The GPS conversion attempt was charged down by CHS 11 Kichie Nuvuso. It’s not very often you see that!

GPS then followed-up with a Try to replacement 10 Dom Easy.

It had taken 1 1/2 games, however we were finally seeing the GPS team that we are used to seeing. The boys were clicking, recycling possession and putting together many phases through forwards and back.

GPS were finally hitting their straps and a barnstorming run by Charlie Rorke led to another try.

Rorke, Mac Williams, Breen and Bell started dominating the game. However - it was against some defence that CHS will not be happy with.

The fragile CHS defence opened-up around the middle allowing GPS to run-in several tries towards the end for a one-sided win.

GPS I 66 def CHS I7

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
IIRC selections for NSW Opens are historically sequenced as follows:

1. Starting 15 for NSW 1
2. Starting 15 for NSW 2
3. Bench for NSW 2
4. Bench for NSW 1

So being in the 1s is not necessarily the best outcome - you would have had a better opportunity for higher selection being in 2s starting team than 1s bench. Does anyone know if it is any different this year? Will be very interesting to see the teams when finalised.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
When was the last time a school had 10 players in NSW schools? And people thought Barker were favourites. Waverley is the team to beat after this.[/quote said:
It's a fine achievement but not as rare as you might expect. Newington had eleven or twelve a few years ago.

Ioverugby24/7

Frank Nicholson (4)
IIRC selections for NSW Opens are historically sequenced as follows:

1. Starting 15 for NSW 1
2. Starting 15 for NSW 2
3. Bench for NSW 2
4. Bench for NSW 1

So being in the 1s is not necessarily the best outcome - you would have had a better opportunity for higher selection being in 2s starting team than 1s bench. Does anyone know if it is any different this year? Will be very interesting to see the teams when finalised.

I thought is was more like:

1. Starting 15 for NSW 1
2. Starting 15 for NSW 2
3. Bench for NSW 1
4. Bench for NSW 2

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
Congratulations to the CAS boys selected into Combined States:

Charlie Baker The Scot’s College
Stewart Brown Central Coast Grammar
Harrison Cannon St Joseph’s College, Nudgee
Cooper Chambers Trinity Grammar School
Isaac Crone Brisbane State High School
Brady Dawson Knox Grammar School
Joel Ellis Waverley College
Dougal Hicks The King’s School
Ben Joseph The Scot’s College
Emmit Keepa Ipswich Grammar School
Jeremy Kempston Ipswich Grammar School
William Kirk St Joseph’s College, Gregory Terrace
Willie Manu St Augustine’s College
Will McCormick Waverley College
Michael Pavlakis Knox Grammar School
Tristan Reilly St Joseph’s College, Hunters Hill
James Sidery St Augustine’s College
Davida Stowers Ipswich Grammar School
Bruce Tevaga Padua College
Emosi Tuqirie Marist College, Ashgrove
Harry Turner Epping Boys High School
Jack Walsh St Augustine’s College
Jack Winchester Bishop Druitt College

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
Sideline View has had some sport on the GPS thread for those of you who have not had a look. Amazing how prevalent elitist attitudes seem to emanate from that thread which after all is currently supporting what is a second tier competition...baaah haaaa haaa

Wristman

Alfred Walker (16)
Sideline View has had some sport on the GPS thread for those of you who have not had a look. Amazing how prevalent elitist attitudes seem to emanate from that thread which after all is currently supporting what is a second tier competition.baaah haaaa haaa

Hasbeen and Sideline View, enjoy the win over GPS.
Thoroughly deserved.
A lot of good players this year.
No need for the inferiority complex any longer, you can finally stand tall my friends.
CAS rugby has come of age.......the question is have you?
Time to stop the childish jibes.
Or is that a bridge too far for you at this delicate stage of your path to manhood?

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
Wristman, in my occupation I am mature and responsible most of the time. Here I can be 15 years of age again (within reason) and post childish comments if i wish. And maybe they may just lighten up somebody's day. Or bring a smile to the face during a tough day. Lighten up brother.

Wristman

Alfred Walker (16)
Wristman, in my occupation I am mature and responsible most of the time. Here I can be 15 years of age again (within reason) and post childish comments if i wish. And maybe they may just lighten up somebody's day. Or bring a smile to the face during a tough day. Lighten up brother.

You should try and be humorous though Hasbeen rather than boorish.
It is always preferable to bring a smile to others rather than a self satisfied smile to oneself.
I will indeed lighten up though....there is a week of excellent schoolboy rugby in store when the best of GPS and CAS come together to ensure we beat the pretenders from the North.:)

rollin_maul

Peter Burge (5)
Thoroughly deserved.
No need for the inferiority complex any longer, you can finally stand tall my friends.
CAS rugby has come of age...the question is have you?
Or is that a bridge too far for you at this delicate stage of your path to manhood?

Spot on Wristman. These jibes come across like someone with a big chip on their shoulder who finally now has a chance to 'get square' and it's becoming really tedious.

Enjoy the success. But please do so with a bit of decorum.

Most folks in other association thread would have lots of respect for the CAS PLAYERS and their achievements.

But I'm not sure the same can be said for many of their SUPPORTERS who are posting here in the forums.

S

sidelineview

Thoroughly deserved.
CAS rugby has come of age...the question is have you?

P .ll.eeease .. the condescending self righteousness of it all.

Of course we've had a bit of fun with the success, as GPS posters have reveled in the success of the past, including with the results of pre-season trial matches in previous seasons.

And as GPS posters had some fun with predictions as to how many trial games CAS teams would win. Like, zero wins for example.

And as some GPS posters have shown disdain at losing the exclusivity of their GPS competition. Having to share it. Signs of snobbery and elitism have been detected.

You might want to consider the superiority complex as well as the supposed inferiority complex.

I remember how the GPS posters spat their dummies when the CAS U16s beat GPS in the Final of that inaugural competition a few years ago, because they expected to win. We got a giggle out of that one as well.

I have enjoyed being a little immature in a way, but that fun was limited. I didn't gloat (well, I didn't gloat much at least). I've also enjoyed reading Hasbeen's couple of immature postings as well. Smart ass comments but ultimately harmless.

I replied to inferences of scholarships being responsible for the success of Waverley rugby this season which isn't true (that success wont be consistently maintained in the years to come). We all know its cyclic.

I replied to childish cheap shot comments in general, so go back to the GPS thread and give your own posters a patronising lecture.

The message is ''Cop it sweet''; it's a lesson boys are taught and learn in participating in competitive sport, and which men should already know (unless they're sooks)

PS: The GPS and CAS players will be playing in the same teams next week and will become mates; the better mates they become the better chance their teams have of playing well; and some will become lifelong friends.
We saw it last year, particularly with NSW2s and Combined States.

It wasn't long ago that they were trying to smash each other out on the field but now its different, so get it into perspective and dont be so precious about yourselves and clean up your own backyard first.

Breaks_Away

Sydney Middleton (9)
You should try and be humorous though Hasbeen rather than boorish.
It is always preferable to bring a smile to others rather than a self satisfied smile to oneself.
I will indeed lighten up though..there is a week of excellent schoolboy rugby in store when the best of GPS and CAS come together to ensure we beat the pretenders from the North.:)

Ahh, Wristman
Thought I might remind you that the NSWI & NSWII teams do NOT ONLY consist of CSA and GPS boys! so let's rephrase you're above comment shall we! .....
May the NSW School boy teams come together as one to play their best rugby yet to ensure they beat the contenders from other states.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Ahh, Wristman
Thought I might remind you that the NSWI & NSWII teams do not only consist of CSA and GPS boys! so let's rephrase you're above comment shall we! ...
May the NSW School boy teams come together as one to play their best rugby yet to ensure we beat the pretenders of the North :)

They come from more directions than the North.

Expect the ACT and VIC both to be serious challenger's with real chances to win as well.

Sent from my F3115 using Tapatalk

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
What's happened to WLF?

Hasn't been seen since before CAS v GPS game.

Thought he would have had a field day with that one.

Hope he's ok.

Maybe he's maxed out on number of posts you can make before an avatar is required and he has morphed (again) into another profile.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
What's happened to WLF?

Hasn't been seen since before CAS v GPS game.

Thought he would have had a field day with that one.

Hope he's ok.

Maybe he's maxed out on number of posts you can make before an avatar is required and morphed (again) into another profile.

Not sure. Banned apparently. No idea why

Status
Not open for further replies.