• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Chants

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Army_Gav

I guess it is just what teams/sports those chants are associated. Swing Low Sweet Chariot is also just a song - but we'd never try to sing that! Along the same lines, we'd jeer at another team taking up the 'Aussie Aussie Aussie' bogan chant, despite it originally being an English thing - Cornish, to be specific (though we changed Oggy to Aussie).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oggy_Oggy_Oggy

I like the idea of ones that are recognised as Australian - 'I still call Australia home' is great, along with Waltzing Matilda. Pub With No Beer? A Home Among the Gum Tree? I Come From a Land Down Under would work, I reckon.
You can take those chants and make them Australian, Rugby specific. It might even attract soccer supporters over to Rugby.

While some of the ones you mention above are good, they don't always work at full voice with no backing music. Like the "Aussie Oi Oi" chant, people are getting tired of the same old, it's a prime opportunity to try something fresh.

It'll well and truly shock the the Kiwis and European teams.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Hmmm i would argue that its more about someone would rather die than be free.

He also steals from a squatter someone who is attempting to take from the crown. Who is also in cahoots with the law.

Couldn't think of something that is more Aussie and a middle finger salute to empire really, and the confusing and contradictory state of affairs that exists till this day.

What an eloquent post!

Searsy

Herbert Moran (7)
I am Australian? [video=youtube;rjkrjYitgeA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjkrjYitgeA[/video]

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
What an eloquent post!

I know I'd rather die than be free!

As for chants I can't think of any that don't make me cringe just a little, but that could be more my problem than anyone else's. Having said that 'land down under' actually worked quite well in the round ball - I guess absolutely everyone knows all of the words.

[video=youtube;leitrq6VdC0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leitrq6VdC0[/video]

Searsy

Herbert Moran (7)
How about this to the tune of Dumb Things by Paul Kelly

Welcome [insert country name] to the show
Very soon your heads will be hanging low
We got the forwards
And the backs
And everything that your shit team lacks

We're in the middle,
In the middle
And we're Gold and Green

All our players are firing,
And yours did all the dumb things.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
They play land down under at the ground when the Wallabies score a try, don't they? But it's a different mix to the original.

A

Army_Gav

Watching the Rugby Club, Clarkie described the Eden Park crowd as hostile.

I want the Suncorp crowd to get stuck into the All Blacks and All Blacks supporters. Sick of this so called 50/50 stuff.

Shame I won't be there or that Melbourne won't host one anytime soon.

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
Happy my Shit Part of Fiji chant has taken off, but disappointed nobody has suggested this yet.

[video=youtube;gSq8ZBdSxNU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSq8ZBdSxNU[/video]

I'm serious.

A

Army_Gav

In light of recent events, one for the Poms:

Who's now full of convicts?
Who's now full of convicts?

Reactions: BPC
A

Army_Gav

Happy my Shit Part of Fiji chant has taken off, but disappointed nobody has suggested this yet.

[video=youtube;gSq8ZBdSxNU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSq8ZBdSxNU[/video]

I'm serious.
Yes!

Gold
Always believe in your soul
You've got the power to know
You're indestructible
Always believe in, because you are
Gold

Hardtackle

Charlie Fox (21)
Back in the day NZ's best bowler used to cop it every time he was involved in the play, "Hadlee's a Wanker, (clapclap clapclap clap) repeated till everyone was rolling around laughing" these days the cricket mob often chant, "you are a wanker, (clapclap clapclap clap)"

So I reckon a switch to "Ritchie's a Cheater" would catch on big time and may make him stop and think, before well..........cheating.

A

Army_Gav

One for the Saffers

One team in Gold
There's only one team in Gold
One team in Gold-d
There's only one team in Gold...

A

Army_Gav

I'd love to take the Army's drum to the RWC also, helps create an atmosphere.

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
A while ago Fitzsimmons suggested "Bound for Botany Bay" to be sung at Waratahs matches which I thought to be a good idea (even a broken clock is right twice a day). In that spirit, how about:

Farewell to the Kiwis forever,
Farewell to the Saffas as well,
Farewell to the pommies and the frogs
No others have any chance in hell.

Chorus:
Singing too-ral, li-ooral, li-addity,
Singing too-ral, li-ooral, li-ay,
Singing too-ral, li-ooral, li-addity,
Bill’s bound for Botany Bay.

There's the Elsom as is our commander,
There's the Horwill and all the forward crew,
There's the usual suspects as passengers,
Knows what we supporters go through.

These many long years I've been barracking
And many more years have to stay,
All for that chance of lifting Bill up
And taking the prize away.

There are several other verses but my ingenuity is pretty much used up.

Clawhammer

Herbert Moran (7)
They play land down under at the ground when the Wallabies score a try, don't they? But it's a different mix to the original.

It's always amazed me that Land Down Under is used so much as a 'patriotic' song. The first line is about smoking pot in a combi van.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
It's always amazed me that Land Down Under is used so much as a 'patriotic' song. The first line is about smoking pot in a combi van.

Not really any different to waltzing matilda, is it?

As for bound for Botany Bay, I was sure the Dropkick Murphys had done a cover of it but I couldn't find it, so here's there Fields of Athenry - a great chant if ever there was one (and the tune for the Balmain club song, so I like it a bit more than most I guess)

[video=youtube;9Hqy8n3BcqA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Hqy8n3BcqA[/video]

Status
Not open for further replies.