• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cheerio Deans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The news of Tony McGahan going to the Rebels is a good sign.

If a new coach is going to be appointed it is absolutely paramount that the coach gets to choose all their own coaching staff.

One of the big problems under Deans was that he didn't get to pick all his coaches.

I'd argue that it is just about more important for the national head coach to be able to hire his own coaching staff than it is for him to pick the players.

199madmave

Ward Prentice (10)
The news of Tony McGahan going to the Rebels is a good sign.

If a new coach is going to be appointed it is absolutely paramount that the coach gets to choose all their own coaching staff.

One of the big problems under Deans was that he didn't get to pick all his coaches.

I'd argue that it is just about more important for the national head coach to be able to hire his own coaching staff than it is for him to pick the players.

Good news for the ARU because he is gone or good news for the Rebels??

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
I think the appointment of McGahan suggests Ewen is the front runner. The only other things I can see happening in order of likeliness are:

1) Ewen goes back to the reds as director of Rugby. Jim Carmichael has already stated he will reopen negotiations if the ARU squib on Link.

2) Ewen goes overseas to coach another test team. Is anyone looking for a coach at the moment?

flat_eric

Alfred Walker (16)
If the ARU drop the ball on Link a second time I doubt he stays in Australian rugby. Unless he absolutely has to (family reasons). I'm sure there will be dozens of lucrative offers for him overseas.

T

Train Without a Station

Or, in a strange twist...

Jake White takes over the Wallabies, and Link becomes the Brumbies new coach.... :eek:

Or an even stranger twist. Carmichael re-signs link and they pay out Graham who goes to the Brumbies?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If the ARU drop the ball on Link a second time I doubt he stays in Australian rugby. Unless he absolutely has to (family reasons). I'm sure there will be dozens of lucrative offers for him overseas.

If McKenzie had been made the Wallabies coach as soon as he left the Waratahs I imagine there would have been absolute outrage out of Queensland.

I think Queensland's opinion of McKenzie is dramatically different now compared to what it was like then, particularly as he'd just been coach of NSW for 5 years.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Jake White takes over the Wallabies, and Link becomes the Brumbies new coach.... :eek:

The-Office-gifs-the-office-14948948-240-196.gif

I can handle losing Link as it's for the good of the country, but if he went to the Bumbies, Quade said it best about James playing 10, "watching your girlfriend go off on a date with someone else".

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
If McKenzie had been made the Wallabies coach as soon as he left the Waratahs I imagine there would have been absolute outrage out of Queensland.

I think Queensland's opinion of McKenzie is dramatically different now compared to what it was like then, particularly as he'd just been coach of NSW for 5 years.

My opinion of Links coaching is different to what it was back then. I would think Link himself would regard his coaching skills differently now to back then as he has experienced vastly different environments since that time.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)

It is widely known that McKenzie rejected the offer because he didn't think he was ready for the role. So we can go on all day about "what ifs" but even he obviously admitted his coaching ability and maturity was not ready for the Wallabies.

It didn't happen, and it never would've happened so hard to make comparisons.........

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
My opinion of Links coaching is different to what it was back then. I would think Link himself would regard his coaching skills differently now to back then as he has experienced vastly different environments since that time.

I agree.

I was mainly having a go at the comment about the ARU dropping the ball previously as if he should have been the Wallabies coach when he finished at the Tahs.

I don't agree with that at all and I don't believe many people would have thought that at the time. I think it is revisionist to suggest now that it would have been either a good or a popular decision.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I agree.

I was mainly having a go at the comment about the ARU dropping the ball previously as if he should have been the Wallabies coach when he finished at the Tahs.

I don't agree with that at all and I don't believe many people would have thought that at the time. I think it is revisionist to suggest now that it would have been either a good or a popular decision.

And let's not forget that if Deans had not come in at the 11th hour the job was going to Nucifora........

Status
Not open for further replies.