• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cheetahs vs Rebels RD 7

Should Cooper Vuna have been sent home as well???

• Yes

Votes: 13 46.4%
  • No

Votes: 15 53.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
It was an improved performance by the Rebels. As has been said Reid and Alo-Emile addition provided some spark. Along the same lines (youth) Damien Hill is there anyway you can pick Tom English (and give him more than 5 minutes on the field) ahead of the average Sidey just to add some enthusiasm, to give the youngster a decent go and to see what he has got.

Unfortunately I have to agree with a couple of other comments on here re: Delvey. He has struggled this year. A couple of times we looked like we were about to apply some pressure and then Delve threw a couple of forward passes. Still some basic errors killing us (not just Delve's errors).

A big game v the Force on Saturday. We have a good record against them. Then a big game at home v the Kings. Need to step it up in the next two weeks.

I will leave you with an interesting stat. James O'Connor and Cadeyrn Neville have both played 14 games for the Rebels. Neville now has 3 tries for the Rebels and O'Connor has 2.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
have only managed to watch the first half, recording system f'd up. but i agree with the above.
reid and PAE played well. delve way off the boil, phipps much to slow with clearance and communication at the back of the scrum non existent, leading to cheetahs first try. roberts not his best game and the midfield defensive alignment was caught out a number of times. kingi (like mitchell) is NOT a winger, defensive positioning all wrong. JOC (James O'Connor) trying the miracle pass after the touchline break, the players collectively just seem to taking the wrong options. lets face it, the multi phase attack under the posts should have led to a try not another 3 points.

i do not doubt the players commitment but execution errors are still the major problem with this outfit. the rebels continue to make the same mistakes (under pressure) as in the past two years, as well as just too many unforced errors. all the turnovers stop any chance to build momentum. at times in both attack and defence we looked clueless and disorganised.

this implies a coaching problem, i think that hill is gone unless they win a lot of the remaining games and i just cant see that happening now. after showing a lot of promise and improvement in the middle of last year and in the early games this year the last two weeks we have gone backwards. i have no direct inside information but the on field results seem to suggest the rumours of off field of division have a ring of truth. a great shame really because the melbourne rugby community have invested a lot of emotion. energy, money (?) into supporting he rebels. unfortunately i don't think they will win again this season.

all we supporters can do is hang in there and hope they manage to get their house in order, recruit well (and i dont mean superstars) and slowly build over the next few seasons to be a competitive side

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Probably won't bother with the replay (2nd time I'll miss a game), most of what others have told me, is enough. Same old fade outs.

People can cite the "but it's South Africa" excuse, I'm sorry, it's a professional outfit. The Cheetahs just came back from a 4 game tour of Aus & NZ and managed to finish us off.

We'll probably smack the Force and it'll be all rosey in the eyes of some.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
It wasn't all bad. there were some good moments, but agree - mental lapses cost us.
had higgers made a better pass to woodward he was over the line and the game was 17-14 if not 17-16. entirely different story for the last 20 minutes.

delve was horrible and should've been yanked a bit earlier.
reid and PAE looked really good. reid has a great work rate.
I was again left thinking that roberts is not at super rugby level.
phipps' box kick was horrible in the first half - the one that went straight out off a turnover. NSW can take him! zacker was much better than him.

it is very clear there are issues among the players. communication is not great.
things need to turn around quickly here otherwise we run the risk of our stars losing confidence and JOC (James O'Connor), Higgers wanting out.
Hill is clearly not the coach for the team.
i don't put too much into the scoreline though as i mentioned, woodward gets over and we are within a point. luke jones - that was pointless and cost us the game.
JOC (James O'Connor) wasn't convincing either. the whole team is struggling across the board. Inman the only real consistency in the backs.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
It's a shame that in only the Rebels 3rd year they look like they need a complete fresh start. New coach, a heap of recruitment and a fresh attitude.

Most people were mystified when they signed Cipriani, Beale and JOC (James O'Connor) together. Cippers is now gone but the rock star attitude divide appears to be alive and well in the team.

Having said, they have enough pure talent to beat some S15 teams. If they can get Beale, JOC (James O'Connor), and Vuna all back together on the park and pointing in the same direction they have enough X factor to dispose of teams like the Force and Kings.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
It wasn't all bad. there were some good moments, but agree - mental lapses cost us.
had higgers made a better pass to woodward he was over the line and the game was 17-14 if not 17-16. entirely different story for the last twenty.

phipps' box kick was horrible in the first half - the one that went straight out off a turnover. NSW can take him!

luke jones - that was pointless and cost us the game.

JOC (James O'Connor) wasn't convincing either. the whole team is struggling across the board. .

This is my exact point. The passes from delve to Reid and higgers to Woodward, the fuckn box kick ( again !) these are errors that simply should not be made by professional footballers. They consistently cost us momentum, field position and points, not only in this game but against the tahs and the reds contributing to both losses. Many of these guys are in their third season together and there is still little cohesion to be seen.
Really frustrating, but as Georgina Robinson said perhaps a many of them are just content to be S15 players and cruise along with a nice lifestyle and pay packet. I wish we really knew the truth of what is going on behind the scenes

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
There's easily enough talent in the team to put together a very solid outfit.

PAE, Pyle, Jones, Higgers, Stirzaker, JOC (James O'Connor), Inman, Vuna... You can absolutely build a team around that. Given a couple more games could easily throw Roberts and Reid in there as well. They look unfit and badly coached to me. It's the same issues that were present from the very first game, I have no idea why they haven't been fixed by now.

Was quite drunk by the time game time rolled around, but my feeling at the time was that PAE was just about our best player. Nice to see talent coming through when it's given the opportunity. Now if only we could see the same with Stirzaker.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
the old amber throat charmer didn't betray you. PAE was very good. as was reid. i would say our best were PAE, Reid, Inman (in the backs) and pyle looked good today.
delve was horrible. not sure what to make of that but you have to back the big fella to bounce back. i suspect he has gotten a spray from the coach/management.
and yes. with a full team we could beat most teams in the comp bar the top 3, but as soon as we get injuries the quality slips. we replace beale with roberts for example.
we need to recruit two props and a proper 12. possibly a 15/10 depending on how woodward and roberts develop.
assuming we keep pyle our lock and backrow stocks are pretty solid.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
TBH

1. Lahiff
2. Shota
3. Alo-Emile
4. Pyle
5. New Tighthead Lock
6. Jones
7. C. Fainga'a?
8. Higgenbotham
9. Burgess
10. Roberts
11. Vuna
12. English/Mitchell
13. Inman
14. Woodward
15. O'Connor

16. Sexton
17. New Loosehead
18. Weeks
19. Neville
20. Saffy/Reid
21. Stirzaker
22. Mitchell/English
23. Situati

Would be a pretty decent team next season.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
There's easily enough talent in the team to put together a very solid outfit.

PAE, Pyle, Jones, Higgers, Stirzaker, JOC (James O'Connor), Inman, Vuna. You can absolutely build a team around that. Given a couple more games could easily throw Roberts and Reid in there as well. They look unfit and badly coached to me. It's the same issues that were present from the very first game, I have no idea why they haven't been fixed by now.

Was quite drunk by the time game time rolled around, but my feeling at the time was that PAE was just about our best player. Nice to see talent coming through when it's given the opportunity. Now if only we could see the same with Stirzaker.
How's the vibe going to be between Vuna and JOC (James O'Connor) after the former decked the latter's best mate?

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
i've seen nothing to suggest we should target faainga.
we have the kiwi, saffy and reid who have all showed they are capable at 7.
we need props, and another playmaking back and wings.
i'd like to see a backline of
9 burgess
10 JOC (James O'Connor)
11 Vuna
12 Mitchell
13 Inman
14 Lachie Turner (he is 25, wallaby capped and stuck behind great wings in NSW)
15 Woodward

Zacker, English, Roberts

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Good win to the Cheetahs.

Burton Francis was sensational for a bloke who only got the call up in the warm up. Robert Eberson is also a very under rated player.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
i've seen nothing to suggest we should target faainga.
we have the kiwi, saffy and reid who have all showed they are capable at 7.
we need props, and another playmaking back and wings.
i'd like to see a backline of
9 burgess
10 JOC (James O'Connor)
11 Vuna
12 Mitchell
13 Inman
14 Lachie Turner (he is 25, wallaby capped and stuck behind great wings in NSW)
15 Woodward

Zacker, English, Roberts

still not a fan of JOC (James O'Connor) at fly half. think that roberts and/or hegarty are the longterm prospects. need a playmaking IC to set up inman, but can't see any on the horizon except godwin at the force. could hegarty fill that role?
so if JOC (James O'Connor) stays see him at FB or on the wing where he belongs. is sitauti any good i cant recall him getting too much game time at the brumbies
really need a loosehead (come back p manu our doctor was wrong) or two and neville to stand up at tighthead lock. jones, higginbotham and reid/fuglistaller in the backrow.

those leaving

delve, robinson, henderson, kingi, phipps, beale, horie, all gone next year

? pyle, inman, saffy, o'connor as well

perhaps rokobaro, just not big enough

thats virtually everyone who came in 2011: jones, mitchell, weekes, vuna, the only survivors of the original team. doesn"t leave much hand me down "corporate memory", perhaps thats a good thing :)

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
The reality is the rebels have too many players not upto the standard to be a competitive team.

Henderson and Robinson have to be just about the worst 2 front rowers in the competition. The other 2 props Weeks and PAE are squad standard players but they shouldn't be starting.

Fuglistaller and Reid are not quite upto the standard just yet - maybe in the future. Phipps is shithouse. Roberts, Sidey and Mitchell not up to the standard. Kingi's not a winger.

Add to that Beale and Delve who are both probably leaving the team. Full cleanout needed..

whatty

Bob Loudon (25)
God dam the cheetahs need a rest. My admiration for this team grows each week!
The men from the flower fountain have my full support!!

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
Is it bad if I'm really looking forward to the clean-out? It's all I'm hanging on to at the moment.

I want us to pass on JOC (James O'Connor) and KB (Kurtley Beale), and give all that money to Ewen McKenzie. Let him build a squad with the local kids and give Victoria a team we can really call our own.

Status
Not open for further replies.