• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Chiefs v Reds, Rd 11, Sat May 6th, 5;35pm AEST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
That's probably enough of a mourning period over the loss to the Tahs.

Now how do we win in NZ by beating the Chiefs to get ourselves back into contention?

Any changes to last week's squad? Obviously a few of us would like to see some changes in tactics like not kicking the ball away all the time in the last 20 minutes but who knows what will happen?

Chiefs are around 20 point favourites with the bookies and seem to have a host of players coming back for this match.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...or-chiefs-after-prolonged-concussion-symptoms

So Reds are right up against it here but hopefully Stiles & Co can produce a miracle.

Former Chiefs player Jamie Nutbrown will be the referee.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Now how do we win in NZ by beating the Chiefs to get ourselves back into contention?

c0460a6c205f24ab459ecf9a4fd077e0.jpg

Any changes to last week's squad? Obviously a few of us would like to see some changes in tactics like not kicking the ball away all the time in the last 20 minutes but who knows what will happen?

Higginbotham captain. Frisby out. Sorovi in.

Chiefs are around 20 point favourites with the bookies and seem to have a host of players coming back for this match.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...or-chiefs-after-prolonged-concussion-symptoms

Conservative from the bookies

So Reds are right up against it here but hopefully Stiles & Co can produce a miracle.

Look at Mr Optimistic over here

Former Chiefs player Jamie Nutbrown will be the referee.

OH COME ON

Chiefs by an infinite amount of points

Reactions: gel

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
The May 2012 Reds win v Chiefs at Suncorp was one of the best (a) Reds wins/games ever, just ever and (b) one of the best Super games I have ever seen.

Crowd: 36, 479

Score: 42-27

'Mikey' Mike Harris kicked 7/8 incl 1 drop

Reds tries by Shipperley 4', Lucas 40', Higgers 42', Genia 47', S Finger 51'

Those were the fucking days of our lives in rugby, those were the days

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
The May 2012 Reds win v Chiefs at Suncorp was one of the best (a) Reds wins/games ever, just ever and (b) one of the best Super games I have ever seen.

So revisionist. ;)

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)

The decision for Kevvie to go for the corner near the end of the first half was also the turning point of the match, and subsequently the season (we had to go 6 straight wins to get into the finals and what did we do? Exactly that. We averaged from that game to the final game, averaging 3 tries and 29 points per game in that hot streak)

If we didn't lost the elimination final to the Sharks that year, do you reckon we could have gone all the way and gone back to back?

Where's my DeLorean?

Cpt Crow Eater

Chris McKivat (8)

Ahhh you're giving me pain right in the feels now.

I'd give my left nut to get a coach like Link back in Oz rugby these days...

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)

Highlights:

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I can't see us coming close.

Chiefs will be ready to declare by half time, and Sanzaar will be talking about introducing a mercy rule.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
The decision for Kevvie to go for the corner near the end of the first half was also the turning point of the match, and subsequently the season (we had to go 6 straight wins to get into the finals and what did we do? Exactly that. We averaged from that game to the final game, averaging 3 tries and 29 points per game in that hot streak)

If we didn't lost the elimination final to the Sharks that year, do you reckon we could have gone all the way and gone back to back?

Where's my DeLorean?

I was always dismayed by that 2012 QF loss to the Sharks, and at Suncorp no less. I remember so vividly leaving Suncorp in the company of Juan Cote (an early semi-founder of GAGR), both of us really disheartened.

The team seemed to lose composure and intensity virtually the whole match. We certainly lost it as much as the Sharks won it (with Freddie M at 10 as I recall). I could never understand why, just then, after the admirable striving as you say in the latter parts of the 2012 season.

Was it not so that QC (Quade Cooper) missed that match after the alleged high tackle the week before on Barnes?

If we had knocked off the Sharks, I agree, we would have been a major chance for the 2012 Title.

It was in 2013 that the rot started to set in, like an innocent-looking little brown spec on the skin that ultimately turned into a bad melanoma threatening death.

Link became highly distracted with his and the QRU's quest for him to coach the Wallabies, and then in parallel the gradual 'delegation' of the team to my favourite Reds HC closely loved and sponsored in as he was by the then QRU Chairman.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Ahhh you're giving me pain right in the feels now.

I'd give my left nut to get a coach like Link back in Oz rugby these days.

Quite.

And btw: if you had time to look through the whole game tape, you'd see that the Reds' overall skills and penalty-avoiding composure were both superior to those now on display in 2017.

5 years ago - what have we built since, what's improved?

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I was always dismayed by that 2012 QF loss to the Sharks, and at Suncorp no less. I remember so vividly leaving Suncorp in the company of Juan Cote (an early semi-founder of GAGR), both of us really disheartened.

The team seemed to lose composure and intensity virtually the whole match. We certainly lost it as much as the Sharks won it (with Freddie M at 10 as I recall). I could never understand why, just then, after the admirable striving as you say in the latter parts of the 2012 season.

Was it not so that QC (Quade Cooper) missed that match after the alleged high tackle the week before on Barnes?

If we had knocked off the Sharks, I agree, we would have been a major chance for the 2012 Title.
From remembering the match, there were 1 or 2 controversial calls against us. Also Lucas (@ FH that game) did his ankle. QC (Quade Cooper) also got controversially suspended for a week.

EDIT: This article on the game: http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/s...s/news-story/087929b0207b5767bc164a03c0653216

Status
Not open for further replies.