• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Chris Hickey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
For beating two shitty teams senseless, broken up by beating a shitty team badly, and then before that beating a good team poorly?

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
NTA said:
For beating two shitty teams senseless, broken up by beating a shitty team badly, and then before that beating a good team poorly?

but the shitty teams we had to beat nonetheless

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
They were crapping on the ABC Radio coverage tonight that if the tahs win by 14+ BP then we would be top of the table. Very stupid thing to say given the others have had the bye and we haven't. We aren't the best team in the comp, but we are in the top half and on the improve. Like all of the other top teams, we have a tough run in but our destiny is in our own hands and anything is still possible.

I think Hickey is doing an ok job and gets a pass mark from me. He has made mistakes (WTF did he keep staring Anesi?)) but has probably got more things right than not.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
NTA said:

Your turning into a Rugby Grinch Nick.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
If he comes up with the right gameplan to beat the Crusaders you might have the beginnings of a case. Until then, I'm with NTA. Even after that I'll need a lot of convincing. I've seen too much crap to be converted yet.

Note that McCaffrey got 7 minutes tonight. Seven! How do you show yourself in seven minutes?

rsea

Darby Loudon (17)
the backline still isn't clicking
heaps of individual brilliance but no group cohesion

I can see pain on the horizon

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
mark_s said:

If by "Grinch" you mean "realist" then I'm with you on that.

Look at Hawko's point - we had young blokes on the bench and the game in the bag against a poor opposition. Bring them on and see what they can do. Alcock tore it a new one; no reason to believe McCaffrey can't, especially as he looks a more solid ball runner than Mowen.

One thing that still worries me is our lack of forward penetration, which better defensive teams like the Crusaders (R9), Brumbies (R11), Highlanders (R12), Chiefs (R13), and Hurricanes (R14) can exploit. Lose Cliffy against these teams and we're deep in shit because no-one has been moulded to try and replace his talents.

Sure, we're on top of the table now, but all the other teams in the top 8 have a game in hand

C

CanadianRugby

Lose Cliffy against these teams and we're deep in shit because no-one has been moulded to try and replace his talents.
[/quote]

and TPN.

As for people going on about the Tahs not having the bye yet, even if ALL the teams below them win during the extra game with a bonus point, the Tahs are still in fourth.

Couple more good wins and I might be forced to withdraw from the FHC. Not there yet, but he's doing better.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Fourth isn't very good from my point of view CR - any of those teams at home are tough to beat in a finals situation. And if the Tahs could somehow grab a home final, then the fans would come back because we want this title more than anyone.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
NTA said:
mark_s said:

If by "Grinch" you mean "realist" then I'm with you on that.

Look at Hawko's point - we had young blokes on the bench and the game in the bag against a poor opposition. Bring them on and see what they can do. Alcock tore it a new one; no reason to believe McCaffrey can't, especially as he looks a more solid ball runner than Mowen.

One thing that still worries me is our lack of forward penetration, which better defensive teams like the Crusaders (R9), Brumbies (R11), Highlanders (R12), Chiefs (R13), and Hurricanes (R14) can exploit. Lose Cliffy against these teams and we're deep in shit because no-one has been moulded to try and replace his talents.

Sure, we're on top of the table now, but all the other teams in the top 8 have a game in hand

By Grinch, I mean your determined to take the fun out of the tahs results. But heh its working as the tahs keep winning so keep it up.

McCaffery and Carter were the only reserves who didn't get atleast 20 mins last night. Re McCaffery, that was probably because Alcock and Mowen were playing well and were fillins anyway. Hickey started making the subs pretty quick after we secured the BP. I think the subs costed us a bigger win last night as we became more and more disjointed as the replacements came on. Thats ok because some players need a rest but I thought the tahs coaches used the bench well last night.

TPN's pick and go was huge last night, he has been a collossus for us this year.

We need to remember that we have lost two games (in the republic). Thats one more than the best team (the bulls) and 1/2 more than the saders, equal with the stormers and brumbies. But neither the bulls or crusaders have finished their big tours yet and they are the wins that will either secure them a home semi or otherwise open the door for other teams. ITs going to be a great 2nd half of the comp and the only thing I am certain of is that the tah fans will be complaining about something or other after the last game of the season regardless of where we finish.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Pretty sure my grounded opinion of how the Tahs are traveling has little, if any, effect on the results.

The Crusaders and Bulls do have some difficult games left, but they've got the class to do it. I think we have too but let's not all sit around smoking each other just yet.

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)
CanadianRugby said:
Couple more good wins and I might be forced to withdraw from the FHC. Not there yet, but he's doing better.

Read the Ts and Cs my crazy Cannuck friend, membership of the FHC is for life - and we have ways of dealing with turncoats.

I will allow our patron one get out of jail free card though for selecting Alcock and allowing him to play the full 80. Fantastic game for him as well and further proof that the Tahs should be stacked full of Highlanders rather than this current obsession with Uni and Eastwood players. But I'll let the Force keep DHP for now.

Talking of Alcock, did you see Waugh and him chatting after the game? Can just imagine Phil saying "well played Chrissy boy, but dont get too used to that no.7 shirt."

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
If - and only if - Hickey has the Tahs peaking at the right end of the season, he can stay. But honestly, I would predict a 4th - 6th place finish at the moment, and with the talent at his disposal, that is not good enough.

The best thing about the Tahs is the development of Mowen and Douglas.

C

CanadianRugby

TheRiddler said:
Read the Ts and Cs my crazy Cannuck friend, membership of the FHC is for life - and we have ways of dealing with turncoats.

Yes sir, I understand sir, it won't happen again sir.

what the hell are Ts and Cs?
What's wrong with finishing fourth? Fourth is still in the playoffs. Obviously homefield advantage with first and second is better, but the Bulls, Crusaders, Stormers etc... are still pretty damn good teams. I'm not too picky as long as you make the playoffs. Plus, as an optimist, I can still see the Tahs finishing in the top 2.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Terms and conditions.

4th means you play 1st at home. Fancy the high veldt anyone? I'm just saying that with a tough finish to our season, the Tahs would be ranked only about 4th - 6th at the moment.

C

CanadianRugby

My point is, even if all the other teams behind them win on their bye week the Tahs are 4th. And they might not have a easy schedule to finish out the year, neither do the teams chasing them. The Crusaders and Bulls still have to play each other. It seems that the general thought process is "even though the 'Tahs are 1st, really they are 4th or 5th and that's not good enough." I disagree. They are playing good rugby recently, and should be applauded for improving their play and getting into first. Stop adding little quantifiers to their success.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
I wouldn't have started this thread if I knew anyone would take the proposition seriously. I expected a barrage of abuse and :lmao: :lmao:s.

Status
Not open for further replies.