• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Chris Hickey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
While we Waratahs fans are hard taskmasters and expect our team to play exceptional rugby every week, we retain a small glimmer of irrational hope that it is impossible to suppress. Hence some have become so excited by the idea that there is some small chance, however minute, that we could finally lift a trophy this year that they have stopped looking closely at how well we are/are not doing the things you have to do to win.

Next Saturday is season defining. Will the Tah's rise above their coaching team and smash the hated foes or are we back to the old reality again?

I, for one, don't expect to win. There has not been enough growth in backline play and our forwards have had such an easy three weeks that next week's intensity will be an ice-water shock. Nothing I have seen, this year or last, has indicated that the coaching team will set the plan and lift the players to give 110% for 80 minutes, which is the minimum you need to beat the Crusaders at home. But there remains that small irrational glimmer....

C

CanadianRugby

Hawko said:
Will the Tah's rise above their coaching team and smash the hated foes or are we back to the old reality again?

Hawko, if the Tahs win will you begin to trust the coaching team a bit more? I'm still not a huge fan of Hickey just because I think it takes him a long time to make adjustments, but surely being top of the table earns you some credit?

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Hawko said:
While we Waratahs fans are hard taskmasters and expect our team to play exceptional rugby every week, we retain a small glimmer of irrational hope that it is impossible to suppress. Hence some have become so excited by the idea that there is some small chance, however minute, that we could finally lift a trophy this year that they have stopped looking closely at how well we are/are not doing the things you have to do to win.

Next Saturday is season defining. Will the Tah's rise above their coaching team and smash the hated foes or are we back to the old reality again?

I, for one, don't expect to win. There has not been enough growth in backline play and our forwards have had such an easy three weeks that next week's intensity will be an ice-water shock. Nothing I have seen, this year or last, has indicated that the coaching team will set the plan and lift the players to give 110% for 80 minutes, which is the minimum you need to beat the Crusaders at home. But there remains that small irrational glimmer....

The Crusaders aren't as strong as they have been. I wouldn't be surprised to see us win if we perform well although the performance against the Cheetahs won't get us within 30 of the Crusaders. We've already lost to the other two top 4 teams so if we don't beat the Crusaders it doesn't bode well for our finals chances.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
if the crusaders turn play like they did against the reds the Tahs will put fifty on them, problem is, at home, the crusaders re probably along side the bulls as the hardest road trips in super rugby. The Tahs can definately do it. but i dont see a loss as season ending or revealing as the "sky is falling in" brigade around here.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
CanadianRugby said:
Hawko said:
Will the Tah's rise above their coaching team and smash the hated foes or are we back to the old reality again?

Hawko, if the Tahs win will you begin to trust the coaching team a bit more? I'm still not a huge fan of Hickey just because I think it takes him a long time to make adjustments, but surely being top of the table earns you some credit?

We are top of the table because we haven't had the bye, look at the losses to work out who are the best sides,

If you re work the table by losses and bonus points it shows a clearer picture, the Brumbies look like doing a "Tahs" at the moment. Their stodgy play puts them out of the semis if they lose another match because of the lack of bonus points.
L BP
Bulls 1 4
Crusaders 1 3
Waratahs 2 4
Stormers 2 4
Brumbies 2 1
Reds 3 5
Chiefs 3 5
Blues 3 4
Hurricanes 4 4
Sharks 5 4
Cheetahs 5 1
Highlanders 6 3
Western Force 6 1
Lions 7 3

S

Spook

The Brumbies have missed the semis due to Bonus points on about 3 (I think) occasions since 2004 - sides that lost more games leap frogged them. The Brumbies are doing a "Brumbies".

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
hey everyone,
i just wanted to post that today i was out and about and decided to grab some take away for lunch, while waiting in a larger than normal line a man walked past me and tapped me on the shoulder. To my surprise it was Chris Hickey himself who was there for some lunch with a couple of nsw staff members. He asked if i would like to join him and i accepted and much to my enjoyment we had a two hour power lunch with intense rugby chat. about half way through he asked me what the fans perspective on his coaching reign was and i mentioned how some people are quite down on him and the so called "eastwood connection" and mentioned this website that he was aware of already. he took out his laptop and logged on to have a look at a few comments about things and decided to answer some points brought up.

Carter was starting at outside as Horne was ruled a risk to see out more than half a game. Sidey hasnt been performing at training and he felt there was no other option.

Barnes rang NSW and said he was done with QLD not the other way around. He is on less money than he would have got had he stayed in qld as no third party deals were aranged and he had some that are now void as he left the reds.

He knows everytime an eastwood player comes into the team that people will talk and say there is favouritism shown, but says its no different to when the randwick boys were pulling the strings or the uni boys will be at melbourne and says keeping a core group of players together who arnt internationals through the club scene is a really good thing for the team.

he has a year option for next ear and said it is totally NSW call and if he is let go he would love to stay invovled with coaching in australia possibly back with the schoolboys and colts teams.

thinks sevens is overrated as a pathway to super rugby, would prefer a seconds comp and said the jnr waratahs/brumby runners games have been awesome and thinks people would turn up to watch them as curtain raisers.

thought the ARC was far to short a season to actually fill the void. doesnt see how a comp at that level could be sustainable unless the wallabies play more games in asia etc to raise money for it and said that will dilute test matches in australia.

would love to send phil waugh out a winner in the next two years whiel saying the young guys coming through will be ready to fill the void when he leaves, he thinks phil might actually stay and go straight into being a forwards coach, cant imagine nsw without him.

thinks benn and palu will sign in the next week.

had a few words for the anit Hickey crew, and that was for them to go get coaching credentials and put there game plans into action for the under sixes at there local club, he said wait two games then come back and apologise and he would be happy for them to buy him a beer.

great guy, and a lunch has made me believe great coach, he was open and honest and happy to answer anything i put to him, he said a bit more but i didnt loisten that well, will post if i remember

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Interesting. His coaching tactics might not be particularly progressive but his communication channels with fans seem to be. Good form.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Great stuff, WJ. Where does one have lunch that puts you in the same lunch queue as Chris Hickey?

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
waratahjesus said:
1. Carter was starting at outside as Horne was ruled a risk to see out more than half a game. Sidey hasnt been performing at training and he felt there was no other option.

2. Barnes rang NSW and said he was done with QLD not the other way around. He is on less money than he would have got had he stayed in qld as no third party deals were aranged and he had some that are now void as he left the reds.

3. He knows everytime an eastwood player comes into the team that people will talk and say there is favouritism shown, but says its no different to when the randwick boys were pulling the strings or the uni boys will be at melbourne and says keeping a core group of players together who arnt internationals through the club scene is a really good thing for the team.

4. he has a year option for next ear and said it is totally NSW call and if he is let go he would love to stay invovled with coaching in australia possibly back with the schoolboys and colts teams.

5. thinks sevens is overrated as a pathway to super rugby, would prefer a seconds comp and said the jnr waratahs/brumby runners games have been awesome and thinks people would turn up to watch them as curtain raisers.

6. thought the ARC was far to short a season to actually fill the void. doesnt see how a comp at that level could be sustainable unless the wallabies play more games in asia etc to raise money for it and said that will dilute test matches in australia.

7. would love to send phil waugh out a winner in the next two years whiel saying the young guys coming through will be ready to fill the void when he leaves, he thinks phil might actually stay and go straight into being a forwards coach, cant imagine nsw without him.

8. thinks benn and palu will sign in the next week.

9. had a few words for the anit Hickey crew, and that was for them to go get coaching credentials and put there game plans into action for the under sixes at there local club, he said wait two games then come back and apologise and he would be happy for them to buy him a beer.

10. great guy, and a lunch has made me believe great coach, he was open and honest and happy to answer anything i put to him, he said a bit more but i didnt loisten that well, will post if i remember

1. Horne was injured last year - if he knew there was a lack of depth in that position, why not rectify it? Surely there is a 13 somewhere in the world who could have been convinced to sign.

2. I don't care why he came, or how much he cost, I'm concerned about his often utterly shit play.

3. I don't care where they come from, just that they do the job.

4. things seem to be going in the right direction, so maybe he has a chance (he managed to drop Anesi after 6 weeks of mediocrity, so i guess he is learning)

5. absolutely agree regarding both points but...

6. some kind of ARC would be the best long term goal, for reasons discussed all over the place. The problem, as always, is the money.

7. I'd love it too

8. Great news

9. I would prefer to hear an answer to the Anesi mystery - WHY? or the Barnes dilemma, or a reason why when the tactics weren't really working he persevered with them. What is the story with Palmer? I think many of the criticisms were valid ones and sidestepping the issues by throwing up the 'see if you can do better' line doesn't impress me.

10. I'm sure he is a pleasant guy, and as someone pointed out, he does seem to have the players on side, which is a big part of being a good coach. I guess that could be the reason he didn't go into detail regarding the form of various players (team solidarity etc), so fair enough.

Keep it coming WJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.