• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Chris Hickey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
1) I wouldn't be surprised if the NSW coaching staff recognised WJ

2) From my experience the only thing WJ loves more than the Tahs is a windup

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
waratahjesus said:
hey everyone,
i just wanted to post that today i was out and about and decided to grab some take away for lunch, while waiting in a larger than normal line a man walked past me and tapped me on the shoulder. To my surprise it was Chris Hickey himself who was there for some lunch with a couple of nsw staff members. He asked if i would like to join him and i accepted and much to my enjoyment we had a two hour power lunch with intense rugby chat. about half way through he asked me what the fans perspective on his coaching reign was and i mentioned how some people are quite down on him and the so called "eastwood connection" and mentioned this website that he was aware of already. he took out his laptop and logged on to have a look at a few comments about things and decided to answer some points brought up.

Curious. So how does one get to know the coach of the Tahs so well that he'd personally come up and tap you on the shoulder at a random lunch line? And then invite you to lunch with some NSW rugby staff members? And then have a two hour "power lunch" discussing rugby? And then pull out a laptop at the lunch with net access so he can read this website? Not to mention agree with your take on the Tahs so far...

Wish I could do that. How do we go about being noticed? Turn up to training sessions? Attend every open day/fan day? Provide sexual favours? (Just keeping track of the choices, of course...)

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Ash said:
waratahjesus said:
hey everyone,
i just wanted to post that today i was out and about and decided to grab some take away for lunch, while waiting in a larger than normal line a man walked past me and tapped me on the shoulder. To my surprise it was Chris Hickey himself who was there for some lunch with a couple of nsw staff members. He asked if i would like to join him and i accepted and much to my enjoyment we had a two hour power lunch with intense rugby chat. about half way through he asked me what the fans perspective on his coaching reign was and i mentioned how some people are quite down on him and the so called "eastwood connection" and mentioned this website that he was aware of already. he took out his laptop and logged on to have a look at a few comments about things and decided to answer some points brought up.

Curious. So how does one get to know the coach of the Tahs so well that he'd personally come up and tap you on the shoulder at a random lunch line? And then invite you to lunch with some NSW rugby staff members? And then have a two hour "power lunch" discussing rugby? And then pull out a laptop at the lunch with net access so he can read this website? Not to mention agree with your take on the Tahs so far...

Wish I could do that. How do we go about being noticed? Turn up to training sessions? Attend every open day/fan day? Provide sexual favours? (Just keeping track of the choices, of course...)

oh, ash, use bad language, bring up sex, stab the knife deeper, the lunch wasnt a power lunch, i upped the language to make it sound more interesting than it was.

plus, dont know if you know this, but most places have free wifi these days, especially mcdonalds, and yes, i go to alot of fan days and sit with the tahs at away games ive been to, i know alot of the staff and players and i chat to them regularly being that i go to uni at fox studios which means i wonder past there training sessions and even have a kick with them a couple of times a week when there at home. So in previous posts i may have had a position swayed by members of the team on other issues i bring it up with the people invovled often and it was only a few weeks ago when i took TPn aside and said, mate, your a big lad, just run forward, forward, next week he scored that great try against the blues, running forward, not taking full credit, some of the work TPN did himself, some of it was mental, and i like to think in the back of his mind that little voice sounded alot like mine saying, matey, forward, always forward, thats what you play, forward, didnt get its name from going sideways.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Digressing from WJ's lunch a little, I know some some teams from some codes used to have players go to pubs/their club and meet supporters after the game. Do Tahs players usually wander by the Fox & Lion for a quiet one / meet the fans afterwards? Or do they have any particular haunts / go anywhere to meet the fans? Was Turner showing up just a coincidence?

Regarding training sessions, I know a few people sometimes get down there and have a bit of a watch (Lee Grant has posted a few times about watching them train, for example...). Where actually do they train so they can watch? In front of the SFS? Serious question. For example, when the Cheetahs were in Sydney supposedly they were training at Dave Phillips.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
If Chris Hickey is so great why did it take some bloke who posts on a forum to get TPN thinking straight?

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
The Tahs often train at Victoria Barracks, and I reckon they'd have a gym at Tah HQ (called the IBM centre) which adjoins the SFS and I believe also houses the Roosters. They also do public training sessions which they usually talk about on waratahs.com.au

I've met Lachie Turner at the F&L a few times, it's not a team thing though - he's been dressed in civvies and meeting his mates for a beer after work. They give him heaps of shit when fans come over and ask for pics etc, though to be fair if he scores tries then goes to the pub next door, that's going to happen!

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)
Ash said:
Do Tahs players usually wander by the Fox & Lion for a quiet one / meet the fans afterwards? Or do they have any particular haunts / go anywhere to meet the fans?

I'm also intrigued where the Tahs meet up before home games. At the Blues fixture, I arrived at the stadium at the same time as Tahs were getting off the team bus in front of the stadium in Driver Avenue . I would have though they would have made their own way to home games. I posted this questiona few weeks back but dont think anyone had the answer

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
i think before the match they have a walk down at codgee before getting on the bus.

normal training is held in front of the scg/sfs, but its basically directly in front of the scg in moore park, i believe they train at victoria barracks when its behind doors or without media so to speak. there gym is in the ibm centre in the members car park outside the sfs.

Turner meets his mates at the fox and lions (if you want to know anything, he is an awesome guy to have a chat to, happy to talk), they used to all go to the pump house down at darling harbour for a meet and greet but have stoped that over the last couple of years after nta wouldnt leave them alone.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
waratahjesus said:
plus, dont know if you know this, but most places have free wifi these days, especially mcdonalds, and yes, i go to alot of fan days and sit with the tahs at away games ive been to, i know alot of the staff and players and i chat to them regularly being that i go to uni at fox studios which means i wonder past there training sessions and even have a kick with them a couple of times a week when there at home. So in previous posts i may have had a position swayed by members of the team on other issues i bring it up with the people invovled often and it was only a few weeks ago when i took TPn aside and said, mate, your a big lad, just run forward, forward, next week he scored that great try against the blues, running forward, not taking full credit, some of the work TPN did himself, some of it was mental, and i like to think in the back of his mind that little voice sounded alot like mine saying, matey, forward, always forward, thats what you play, forward, didnt get its name from going sideways.

so were you at Maccas?

I wonder, do you wander or wonder, or both?

but the best bit has to be your TPN pep talk - you are a comic genius!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom