• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cipriani to Melbourne?

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

weetam

Cipriani has talent and could well be the ENgland player of the future. However he has an ego that hugely inflates his own opoinion of himself as a rugby player. He has been slapped down by Martin Johnson because he was disruptive in the England squad and literally by Josh Lewsey at a Wasps training session to teach him respect.
He will not get the big pay deal in France now with their salary cap next season so the big money is on him going to you guys.
We also have the rumour that Nick Abendanen from Bath has been touted by JC2 for a place with the rebels. Any news about him? He is good, young and talented but could benefit from a couple of years out of the Guiness Premiership

Scorz

Syd Malcolm (24)
the big money is on him going to you guys.
How much you want to put on it? The player and the coach of the new franchise have denied it. MacQueen even said he's not what they're looking for.
The big money at this stage would have to be on him NOT going...

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)
weetam said:
We also have the rumour that Nick Abendanen from Bath has been touted by JC2 for a place with the rebels. Any news about him? He is good, young and talented but could benefit from a couple of years out of the Guiness Premiership

I hope not. Have you seen him play for Bath? Whilst he has undoubted talent and a great step, the fundamentals of his fullback game are very suspect and hardly a game goes by without him having at least a couple of brain snaps and total failures of mature decision making.

aussie1st

Alfred Walker (16)
Would be a decent pickup for them and its always good building a side around a good 5/8. The only problem with that is the fact it takes away the opportunity for one of the youngsters that are currently stuck behind the 5/8s in NSW and ACT.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Can we get this thread back on topic please? :angryfire:

copy-of-kelly-brook02769_kelly_brook_in_bikini_on_the_beach_in_barbados_march_29_3_122_554lo.jpg

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
aussie1st said:
The only problem with that is the fact it takes away the opportunity for one of the youngsters that are currently stuck behind the 5/8s in NSW and ACT.

Yeah, that'd be my problem with it. I'd much rather see them develop local talent. Or local born talent. Or hell, any talent that can play for the wobs.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Danny Cipriani is one of the pre-eminent emerging talents of the English system. If he was an Aussie he'd be a test regular by now. Good on the Rebels for snaring him.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
I agree Groucho. You see these guys like Cipriani and Hook and you think - oh shit, we're in trouble now. And then they get nothing but criticism at home because a kick goes out on the full or something. The NH teams seem to hate having a 10 that might actually create something.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Groucho said:
Danny Cipriani is one of the pre-eminent emerging talents of the English system. If he was an Aussie he'd be a test regular by now. Good on the Rebels for snaring him.

Amen.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Scarfman said:
I agree Groucho. You see these guys like Cipriani and Hook and you think - oh shit, we're in trouble now. And then they get nothing but criticism at home because a kick goes out on the full or something. The NH teams seem to hate having a 10 that might actually create something.

You could add Tait to that list

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Ex-fucking-actly FP. He was the only guy in the whole team who knew how to take space last weekend and they still gave him shit. Apparently Wilkinson having no clue how to set or run a backline is Taits fault because he's too small or something.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I personally love Wilko as a player but I reckon he should play 12. Like he did on that NZ British-Irish Lions tour.

I know this may not be the best example of quality play, but it proves he can play there. Playing at inside would allow for him to use him dominant defensive and running game more and would allow his lack of ball spreading ability to not be exposed, via 10-13 cut-out passes.

He would obviously switch to first receiver for kicks.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
The weird thing is, he not that good at field kicking either. Not in the same class as O'Gara, anyway.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
From Will Carling's website

Danny Cipriani

February 12, 2010 by Will Carling Comments (9)

danny cipriani

OK, loads of people have asked why I did not go ahead and manage Danny Cipriani, so here is my explanation.

I first really spent time with Danny when he was in 'hosting' our facility at Twickenham for the Autumn Tests, along with many other players and ex-players. During the matches, we all sit around a few tables with some good wine and beer and watch the games. Zinny and I spent quite a bit of time chatting to him and getting a picture of where he was and what he wanted.

To be fair to him he is very different from the person depicted by the media, no surprise there then, and struck both Zinny and I as a young guy who was lost and lacked any guidance. Many of the 'older guys' in the facility said that I should 'manage' him - and I am being honest here when I say it is something that has never appealed to me at all before this time.

So I started doing some research, and called the likes of Sean Edwards, Josh Lewsey, Matt Dawson to get some background on the guy, and everyone admitted that the guy has a great talent. There were also plenty of references to his attitude, and to his ability to alienate team mates, which I took on board.

I went and had a long lunch with him and the reason that the whole concept appealed to me was that I believed here was a guy with a special talent, who desperately wanted to play for England, and maybe I could help him work things through with Wasps and England, as I know the key personal in both camps.

I have had a couple of very positive chats with Martin Johnson and at no time has he 'warned' me off, or told me that Danny was a 'lost' cause as speculation has concluded.

I have spent the last six weeks trying to focus Danny and without laying the blame at anyone's door, the main reason that I have decided not to go ahead is that I do not believe that Danny's focus is on playing for England. That and that alone was my main motivation for getting involved with him, it is not about money and certainly not about profile, it was about helping him earn the England number ten shirt. And rightly or wrongly I have concluded that his desire to 'earn' that shirt is not as strong as I want it to be and as strong as it needs to be.

So my decision is easy really. I think he is a good guy under all the media garbage, and he has a special talent. I sincerely hope that it is not a talent that is never fulfilled in an England shirt, but I worry that might be the case, and I just hope that sometime soon Danny focuses on England and the hard work that will be necessary to earn his place in the team

P

Part of the union

The English have shot themselves in the foot by not picking him. They are desperate to find someone who can get the backline going and yet they shy away from such a player because the English game is conservative by nature. I think he would enjoy the game out here as the attacking attitude is something that I think he would love to try and do with England if he was given the chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.