• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Club Players with potential

Status
Not open for further replies.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
A few Sunnybank boys might be worth a look. Rex Tapuai, Rota Setu and the 5/8, Seniuli I think? Also like the look of Con Foley from Uni.

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
Roland Suniula certainly has potential, but hopefully after the world cup and his exposure he won't be a club player for long hopefully.

He was a great player for our club in the 2010 season, although seeing how he played at 10 at the RWC, perhaps he could have been moved there for us. At 12 he was very solid.

GreenFrogg

Bob McCowan (2)
Hello. I was past few months ago to get some informations about Marlon Solufuti who came in my club, la Section Paloise in french 2nd league ProD2.
I come back today because it's near than an other player of the Marlins is coming, Ed Gower. It's very difficult to get informations about this player from France.
Could you please help me and give some opinions

Thanks a lot for that

S

Spectator101

Hello. I was past few months ago to get some informations about Marlon Solufuti who came in my club, la Section Paloise in french 2nd league ProD2.
I come back today because it's near than an other player of the Marlins is coming, Ed Gower. It's very difficult to get informations about this player from France.
Could you please help me and give some opinions

Thanks a lot for that

Ed gower is a great player and leader. He captained Gordon rugby for a while. Had a stint at the brumbies but got injured(fell off a bike during a training session)

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Gower is a tough nut 2nd rower that I suggested that some soft Super sides should pick up rather than young giraffes.

He's 25 195cms and 112 kgs and plays big. At one point late in the 2011 Sydney club season he had played every minute of every game and for all I know he played in every minute of the season. He's durable when he is not falling off a bike and easily good enough for Pro D2.

Incidentally GreenFrogg - how well did Marlon play?

GreenFrogg

Bob McCowan (2)
Thanks a lot both of you
Yes Lee G, Marlon played for 20 matches last season. He miss for few matches when he had a little injury, he was a little in challenge with a younger player came from our Formation center, but he was our best player in n°8.
This year he looks better yet in the beginning of the season. Our style is more and more mobility and playing, and i think he'll more and more important in our team. Specially with our new N°9, Taniela Moa (seen with Tonga at the WRC)
His card here - good web site
2010-2011 played 20/30, 17 as holder, 3 tries, 2 yellow card
2011-2012 played 5/8, 4 as holder, 2 tries, 1 red card, 1 yellow card

You can see his second try this season there
http://www.section-paloise.com/accueil.php
-> Espace video
-> Interview apres match
-> Narbonne

You can find me as "L'Eclair" on this forum where i quote yours answers
http://www.sectionpaloise.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7967&start=2985

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Fly half David Harvey has just signed for french club Narbonne in Pro D2. Is he any good ?

Not Top14 material but easily good enough for Pro D2. He's a flyhalf who can play fullback and is a very handy goal kicker and tactical kicker. He's 25/26 175cms and 85kgs, and definitely does not lack confidence - sometimes to a fault.

He's been around for Oz 7s and played in clubs in Europe - and is one of those players who haven't played Super Rugby, but you wonder why not because he's always picked in sides like Oz Barbarians and Sydney combined sides.

Incidentally he's a grandson of Neil Harvey, one of Australia's great cricketers

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
Fly half David Harvey has just signed for french club Narbonne in Pro D2. Is he any good ?

He is one of those point scoring players. While he has become tougher with age, defence still isn't his strong point. There are often many points scored on both sides in games that he plays.

Karl

Bill McLean (32)
So for a good/great club player - what is the progression? Say you've got a kid in Queensland, he plays for his Club and at School, then back to the club. What is the trajectory of the typical kid to Super 14 and then Rep? What are the possible pathways and how do these kids get noticed?

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Karl, I think our code offers inadequate pathways for "good/great club players".

The principal official pathway to the professional level is via the National Talent Squad (NTS). Under this scheme "80+ players aged 15 - 18" from all around Australia are involved in intensive skill and strength & conditioning development programs. As they move out of this age range they are fed "into the Provincial Academies or Super 14 Squads, on the one hand, or into the HPU Contracted Players Squad on the other." (This information from the Reds Rugby website is slightly out of date but I could find nothing currently on the ARU website about the NTS)

So in each age cohort we have only about 20 players across Australia being fast tracked for development. It could be expected that early developers would be disproportionately represented among this group. And they flow seamlessly into the schoolboy rep teams. In 2005 "twenty-three of the 28 Australian Schoolboys squad to tour the UK and Ireland were involved in the NTS program."

What other "possible pathways" are provided for the very large number of non-NTS players with real rugby potential? As far as the ARU and the state unions are concerned virtually none.

In my opinion the only way to provide for these players is for clubs to implement their own development programs. I note from your profile, Karl, that you are a committee member of a very strong Brisbane club and that you have two boys playing junior football there. I suggest it is worth considering persuading your club to make internal development a major and ongoing priority.

Cheap shot exponents, please form an orderly queue.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
So for a good/great club player - what is the progression? Say you've got a kid in Queensland, he plays for his Club and at School, then back to the club. What is the trajectory of the typical kid to Super 14 and then Rep? What are the possible pathways and how do these kids get noticed?

You go and play reserve grade for uni and after a while someone will sign you......

But in all seriousness the poster above me raises a very valid point. There is no concrete pathway unless you are a golden child and/or you are very physically developed at a younger age.

I think an U21 provincial comp with the kiwis is the way to go as most clubs dont have the money to run academies. There is only so many steak burgers you can sell on a Saturday.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I the names being thrown around on a thread like think proves a 3rd tier semi-pro nation-wide comp is still a necessity. Perhaps having a rule that each match day squad must have 5 U21 players or something could be part of it.

If this is an impossibility I'd like to see each Aussie Super rugger team sign a contract with a Japan Top League side and work in a similar way to AFL clubs association with VFL or NBA and D-league. Anyway just a thought.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
You dont want to be sending 18 years olds to a foreign country where they dont speak the language. All right for a holiday or a gap year but I cant see that working in the long haul. It would make doing a degree especially hard as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.