• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Clyde Rathbone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
It's a simple case of evolution; back in WW1 and WW2, Aussie troops (on the whole) considered it their duty to fight for the Motherland, and by extension, Australia.

Korea, then Vietnam changed things a bit, especially when the threat was to neither England or Australia - we were transitioning into an American alliance model.

As for nowadays, war is very rarely aimed at defending a country. It is more a defence of ideals. In some cases, the ideal is that we are supporting and defending the weak (Somalia) or the oppressed (Iraq/Timor) or reducing global terrorism (Afganistan).

Having served in two of those little bunfights listed above, I can tell you that without exception, professional soldiers fight for their mates.

With conscription now a thing of the past and fulltime soldiers being the ones going O/S, we also see it as spending years training and finally getting the opportunity to play a game in the big show.

Anyway, just my 2c.

Daz, thanks for your perspective. When I've talked to defence personnel, I've always got the impression that beyond doing it for your mates, there's also a sense of pride in being involved in something larger - upholding the heritage of the unit? or something similar. Perhaps not patriotism in the sense of doing it for Australia, but something. Hope you're doing well after your involvement in those "bunfights".

D

daz

When I've talked to defence personnel, I've always got the impression that beyond doing it for your mates, there's also a sense of pride in being involved in something larger - upholding the heritage of the unit? or something similar.

Yes indeed. Honouring those who went before us is a massive part of the modern soldier's toolkit.

Being part of the ANZAC tradition/history is something Aussie soldiers are very, very proud of.

Next time you see a gathering of servicemen at an ANZAC day function, watch closely when the old and the new meet; no matter how many medals the modern servicemen has, he will always defer to the older diggers.

I am 100% sure our Kiwi brothers in service feel the same way.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Being part of the ANZAC tradition/history is something Aussie soldiers are very, very proud of.

Next time you see a gathering of servicemen at an ANZAC day function, watch closely when the old and the new meet; no matter how many medals the modern servicemen has, he will always defer to the older diggers.

To further this tangent, Peter Fitzsimons posted a great little article about an ANZAC Day story a few weeks ago. Some of you have probably read it already.

If the first paragraph I posted doesn't sound familiar, it's worth following the link and having a read!

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/from-the-archive-anzac-day-20131021-2vw62.html

Peter FitzSimons signs off with his last post for the(sydney)magazine – a stirring tale of reunion.

It was just there at the top of Martin Place, a quarter of a century ago, just after the Anzac dawn service had concluded. Venturer Scouts leader Don Rose is supervising his Scouts as they provide help to any elderly Diggers who need it, when he notices an old fellow with his medals glistening, leaning against a building and weeping.

D

daz

So, to put this into context under the original thread topic, do I see any philosophical difference between a bloke born O/S who serves in a war for Australia and a bloke born O/S who pulls on my national jumper to play rugby?

No.

They both served in a professional capacity and did the best they could to help their team and their mates win the big prize.

I don't believe for a second that Clyde even considered he wasn't Australian born when he stood for the anthem; much less when the whistle blew to start the game.

In his heart of hearts along the journey, did he wish he was representing SA at some point? Maybe, but what does it really matter?

Ultimately he was with his mates and he had a job to do, in the colours he chose. I am sure he did that job the best he could, Aussie born or not.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
To further this tangent, Peter Fitzsimons posted a great little article about an ANZAC Day story a few weeks ago. Some of you have probably read it already.

If the first paragraph I posted doesn't sound familiar, it's worth following the link and having a read!

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/from-the-archive-anzac-day-20131021-2vw62.html

Peter FitzSimons signs off with his last post for the(sydney)magazine – a stirring tale of reunion.

It was just there at the top of Martin Place, a quarter of a century ago, just after the Anzac dawn service had concluded. Venturer Scouts leader Don Rose is supervising his Scouts as they provide help to any elderly Diggers who need it, when he notices an old fellow with his medals glistening, leaning against a building and weeping.

Read that story a couple of times now. Bloody frustrating all the dust around playing havoc with my eyes when I read it.

D

daz

Slightly off topic question.. who are you supporting next weekend when NZ play England?

I'm a strange one with England sporting. I'm happy to support their football team, to a lesser extent their rugby team. But I wish nothing but failure on their cricketers. Not sure why.

I am with the majority here, I guess.

I have visited England a few times, love the place and (mostly) the people.

But when it comes to sport, I support two teams; Australia and anyone playing England.

In a sporting context, I want them ground to dust, wiped off the map and smashed. Embarrassed, even.

Why? Fuck knows. Just a good old-fashioned Aussie tradition, I guess!

:D

Reactions: BPC

Phil

Chris McKivat (8)
Slightly off topic question.. who are you supporting next weekend when NZ play England?

I'm a strange one with England sporting. I'm happy to support their football team, to a lesser extent their rugby team. But I wish nothing but failure on their cricketers. Not sure why.
MR,I am also a bit strange when it comes to England sporting teams.Will definitely be supporting AB's(I actually lived in NZ for 4 years,so support them unless playing Oz),hate their cricket team with a passion but support their football team.Not sure why I support their football team as they are about as disappointing as the Wallabies.Must be all the years of watching EPL on TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.