• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Coaching Options for Qld Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
That person should understand sports management but not come from within rugby circles. The outside and impartial perspective is the key to getting to the bottom of the issues.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Clarkie mentioned some hot mail last night about coaching during the first half. I just missed it. Anyone catch what he said?

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
A new theory emerges re the QRU's 'independent review panel's' reason for existence in addition to those I advanced in post #652 above, namely that from Bret Harris is today's The Australian, and to quote (with emphasis added):

"The Reds last week appointed an independent committee to review the team’s failed season and high-performance structures. The only performance that will be reviewed is Graham’s. It has been suggested members of the Reds board are too close to Graham to objectively assess his performance."

This new one may make some sense as it's known that certain QRU board members are trenchant in their support for RG and want to see him re-appointed for 2016. Why remains a complete mystery. And if there was clear consensus within the QRU board and CEO that RG should go, surely the need for a review panel to help decide on the matter would barely exist.

As an aside, it's amusing that somehow the QRU has persuaded the media to call this review panel 'independent'. It is by definition no such thing when a key panel member is also a director of the QRU as is the case.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Overthinking the Review.

We have the players. We don't have the results.

Therefore a coaching issue.

New coach required.

The unfortunate fact S2050 is that if the QRU board had concluded as above - and as you and I would consider as overwhelmingly the right deduction after RG's 3+ year period with the Reds - there would be no need for any 'review'.

T

Train Without a Station

"The only performance that will be reviewed is Graham’s"

"been suggested members of the Reds board are too close to Graham to objectively assess his performance"

Sounds like they're clearly on the right track at least.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
"The only performance that will be reviewed is Graham’s"

"been suggested members of the Reds board are too close to Graham to objectively assess his performance"

Sounds like they're clearly on the right track at least.

TWAS, yes, maybe, sort of.

But surely you would agree that, as a matter of modern, good board governance, no board member should have placed themselves in a position whereby they 'are too close' to any key employee or associate of their organisation such that they 'cannot objectively assess his performance'.

Today, any well-structured board knows that each and every board member must do nothing either directly or indirectly that places that member in a position whereby they cannot with objectivity opine upon a senior employee's suitability for, or performance within, a senior role.

And after the CEO, the HC is the next most senior position within a RU.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
That's in today's paper I have been told

I really, really hope the Matt O'Connor new rumours are unfounded.

If true, we could be just more or less repeating the inexplicable rush-job we did - with such disastrous consequences - re picking RG in early 2012 after no considered and thorough search process for a new Reds HC was conducted.

Why rush the process - another multi-year failure straight after RG could be absolutely terminal for the QRU.

Not unduly rushing the process is surely a key benefit of having Knuckles around.

Get rid of RG, put Knuckles in as caretaker for as long as is needed to very carefully define the ideal attributes of a Reds HC from 2016-18, scour the world for the best candidates, do all the considerable background due diligence required, let the fans know this care is being taken and why, and then make an appointment when the time is right. Then pay out Knuckles or have him play very much a background role until his deal expires in mid-2016.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I really, really hope the Matt O'Connor new rumours are unfounded.

Get rid of RG, put Knuckles in as caretaker for as long as is needed to very carefully define the ideal attributes of a Reds HC from 2016-18, scour the world for the best candidates, do all the considerable background due diligence required, let the fans know this care is being taken and why, and then make an appointment when the time is right. Then pay out Knuckles or have him play very much a background role until his deal expires in mid-2016.

This assumes Knuckles would/wants to head coach

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Unless a Coaching Consultant is hired. In which case HC is at level pegging with waterboy in the decision making process

Yeah BB. The Reds HC needs a 'Coaching Consultant' after a mere 3+ years with the Reds and 2 years as HC. And the QRU board needs an 'independent review panel' to help them do a job of sorting out who should be HC even though this is one of the central jobs they are appointed to do themselves.

In the 2015 Alice in Wonderland world of our QRU no one seems able to actually do the job they are meant to do without extensive support and assistance from other parties commandeered in on a virtual emergency basis.

T

Train Without a Station

But surely you would agree that, as a matter of modern, good board governance, no board member should have placed themselves in a position whereby they 'are too close' to any key employee or associate of their organisation such that they 'cannot objectively assess his performance'.

Of course. More meant it from a point of frustration from the fans side. At least they are looking at the actual problem.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Yeah. What he's done on his own is utter shite, what he's achieved with his hand held is acceptable. Sorta confirms he's not up to it.

Reactions: gel

dru

Tim Horan (67)
My start point was we should have been rid of him a long time ago. But we are where we are with two games left. Surely at this point hold onto the status and see if a more thorough selection process can follow.

Note that while HC is our obvious sore thumb we need work through S&C and HPU.

We're going to need give a little time.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Still don't like the Knuckles addition. If the Reds require a care taker coach as the search for a new head coach continues, I think Styles has earned the right to be afforded that role.

What shits me is that Graham wasn't canned earlier and Styles given that chance earlier and a shot to put his name up as the longer term head coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.