• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Colts 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
The Colts comp looks really competitive this year.
Wouldn't it be great if we could somehow see grade and colts on the same ground?
I know a few years ago they tried playing Colts 1sts on the same ground as grade, but I think there were issues with providing subs as a result of the colts 2 and 3 playing at the other team's home ground.
Maybe it could be looked at again with 4th grade and colts 2 and 3 playing on a ground nearby.
This would be easy for some clubs (eg Uni, Norths, Eastwood, Rats, Parra) but not so easy for the others.
So lineup on main ground would be:
3rd grade
2nd grade
1st colts
1st grade

Any thoughts?
Coach, worked a treat on the weekend with the derby in front of a crowd of about 5000+.

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)
Not so good for the guys on the bench for first grade Dave and early kick offs for 2's and 3's will not please the old hard heads or guys who are pushing to playing first grade than the colts. Colts 1sts works well for big days like Marlins v Rats but likely to be a lot of grade player push back if entrenched. Last year at Manly v Rats Colts 1's played at 3rd grade kick off time and 2's stayed at 1:30pm as I recall.

Elvis - Barrenjoey

Frank Row (1)
There's been no discussion on this board since Sunday, so lets get one rolling on this weekend's round of Colts 1st. My tips:
  • Wests to win their second game against Warringah
  • Manly too strong for Penrith
  • Norths to bounce back over Randwick
  • Uni to beat Souths
  • Parra to go 4 in a row over Easts
  • Eastwood to bounce back over Gordon
I agree with you Ryan. Let's get back to the matches this week. The Colts/Grade game fixtures will unfortunately will not change for some time yet.
  • Wests to win
  • Randwick to defeat Norths
  • Uni to defeat Souths
  • Easts to defeat Parra
  • Eastwood to defeat Gordon
To my understanding Easts had a number of players out for the Wests match. Should bounce back this week and defeat Parramatta

GPStyle

Herbert Moran (7)
Any news on where Michael Wells is playing??? I remember watching him play for riverview and he was one of the most dominant schoolboy players i have ever seen play.

The Raging Potato

Allen Oxlade (6)
If I had to pick...

Rats
Marlins
Norths (only because I can't pick against them! Wicks have the form)
Uni
Easts
Woodies

On another note... I am hearing that SRU in their wisdom have decided that Colts 3 is to contest its finals series after round 11 when each team has played each other once. If true, well done SRU for trying to kill off Colts 3 next year. Or maybe that is the intention?

B

BellyTwoBlues

If I had to pick.

Rats
Marlins
Norths (only because I can't pick against them! Wicks have the form)
Uni
Easts
Woodies

On another note. I am hearing that SRU in their wisdom have decided that Colts 3 is to contest its finals series after round 11 when each team has played each other once. If true, well done SRU for trying to kill off Colts 3 next year. Or maybe that is the intention?

I don't think it's their intention at all. Or atleast I certainly hope not. We busted our guts to get 3 teams up for this year. But hey, as one of the clubs who in recent years have struggled to field 3 teams, we probably have no grounds to comment on this in the eyes of many.

What I don't understand though, the Colts 3 comp is a 10 team comp. The season is 18 rounds long. The SRU were aware long before the season started that Colts 3 was going to be 10 teams. Why didnt they just do a 10 team home and away draw for 18 rounds?
That would in the very least have made life easier for the Competition Manager.
It would have also have given 10 teams worth of kids a full season......................

Perhaps the issue shouldn't be the decision taken but more so the time it took to get there!

rant over

The Raging Potato

Allen Oxlade (6)
I don't think it's their intention at all. Or atleast I certainly hope not. We busted our guts to get 3 teams up for this year. But hey, as one of the clubs who in recent years have struggled to field 3 teams, we probably have no grounds to comment on this in the eyes of many.

What I don't understand though, the Colts 3 comp is a 10 team comp. The season is 18 rounds long. The SRU were aware long before the season started that Colts 3 was going to be 10 teams. Why didnt they just do a 10 team home and away draw for 18 rounds?
That would in the very least have made life easier for the Competition Manager.
It would have also have given 10 teams worth of kids a full season........

Perhaps the issue shouldn't be the decision taken but more so the time it took to get there!

rant over

Belly, you perhaps have more grounds than anyone to comment. You have indeed busted your guts. Now you will have a bunch of disappointed boys. There are a number of ways in which they could have accommodated a 10 team comp which don't take a rocket scientist to work out and would include your suggestion however they have gone for the most simplistic solution more than halfway (as it turns out) through the season for 3s. This would suggest to me that they don't really care about the 3s comp, i.e. it won't be there next year so who cares. I am however a pessimistic pessimist so don't take my word for it!

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
What a shame those boys in Colts 3s can't get more rugby. Years ago there was an official Colts 4s comp, and even recently clubs like Uni and Wests (and a couple of others) put out a fourth team and played friendlies before thirds.

I can't help feeling reducing the numbers of teams at Sydney's "Premier" clubs isn't good for rugby. If anything we should be trying to grow the game.

sidelinesid

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Agree wholeheartidly with Lindomer. The ARU, NSW and SRU should be encouraging SS clubs to have 'depth' . Only way to get depth is to have plenty of players- only way to keep players is to let them play. Encourage the Colts and you may retain many of them for the main grades. No good if they go to 'Subies' as that does not benefit the SS.
As the Jesuits say - 'give me the boy *****etc'

Nos Tradamus

Frank Nicholson (4)
reducing the colts 3 comp to 11 rounds is a disgrace. the draw got too hard to figure out and some teams had 4 byes others 2. what the SRU has done is robbed kids of 7 rounds. There are kids who just love to come out and play some footy and won't be fussed and others who are busting their backs trying to get into 2s. some kids just won't get into 2s even though they try so hard. now the administration of each club is going to have to explain to them why their season is/could be over in a months time. maybe they're trying to kill the 3rds comp. but NO club boards were consulted, the decision was just made. they've cut a bunch of kids at the knees and they're wondering why numbers are declining.

young gun

Fred Wood (13)
Does anyone know if the decision about Colts 3 is final? With the two byes already built into the first rounds that makes 9 games for the season, in total, for some clubs - you play 14 when you're 8 or 9 years old - so what started out as 17 games is now 9!!!!!!!!!

Now, before I start, the following is based on the presumption that it is a done deal and the organisers have no interest in changing it. If that isn't the case, don't read my comments below, because they are rendered irrelevant.

What possible logic is there behind this? "Too hard to organize" is just a pathetic excuse. In relation to some clubs having more byes than others - so what? In relation to maybe 3's plays at a different place to 1's and 2's, (if they have to move away from the traditional model) so what - play it 1/2 hour earlier - the 3's are only going to be reserves for 2's, not part of the run-on team so 1/2 hour gives them time to get there to sit on the sideline - or are they worried about not having the tunnel there to clap seconds on?.

At the end of the day the SRU, or NSWRU, (whoever is the latest body of incompetents making these decisions) are there to facilitate people playing the game - not stopping them from playing - how does this fit within that mandate? Do they know who the key stakeholders are? No, it's not them, and their convenience, its the "rugby public" which not only includes, but especially includes, the people actually playing the game. The seasons have never been totally fair, (ie: everyone plays each other home and away) since I can remember, which is back to the 70's - we lived with it - hope we didn't make it too difficult for the Administrators!

Are the Clubs agitating against this? It you just take it up the clacker nothings going to change. Maybe some of the current 3's teams don't think they'll have a team for the rest of the year (all I have seen so far are well stocked) and that's influenced the decision - if so, how about letting other know?

Maybe this is where Sydney Uni can take a leading role - they have a viable 3's, so hence a vested interest. Bill Pulver is at their games, to see his son play (good player too, I'd like to add) - "... Bill, a quiet word in you ear if I may ..." it doesn't have to be intrusive or obnoxious. I know, the ARU doesn't co-ordinate these things, but there is obviously influence there.

I'll leave it there.

Interested party

Frank Nicholson (4)
Have been told by a GM that the biggest issue was having 3rd Colts teams travelling away from the rest of their clubs colts teams. Not all Clubs could manage the logistics. The decision re the 3rd colts format was taken by the SRU board who don't seem to consult their GMs much!!!

young gun

Fred Wood (13)
Thanks I.P thats interesting - makes you wonder how they knew the individual travel logistics capabilities of each team if they hadn't consulted with the GM's? - this whole thing has a very nasty smell to it - don't know why, but it does .........

Interested party

Frank Nicholson (4)
From what I have heard there has only been one GMs meeting this year and they are the ones at the coal face...surely their collective opinions should count! Not sure how much info gets passed down from the Board and Presidents to their GMs!!

The Raging Potato

Allen Oxlade (6)
Have been told by a GM that the biggest issue was having 3rd Colts teams travelling away from the rest of their clubs colts teams. Not all Clubs could manage the logistics. The decision re the 3rd colts format was taken by the SRU board who don't seem to consult their GMs much!!!
What do they think the 3rd Colts teams will be doing while contesting their "finals" from Round 12? How are they going to manage the logistics?

Interested party

Frank Nicholson (4)
Good point. How many years is it now since all 12 clubs fielded 3 colts teams? Perhaps Uni could put some extra colts teams in to fill up the spots!! Logistics wouldn't be an issue for them!!!

The Raging Potato

Allen Oxlade (6)
Again I will reiterate, I am the most cynical of cynics so take this with a pinch of salt... Something smells wrong here as young gun has also suggested. I can see a 10 team Shute Shield next season. Penrith will be gone, and Gordon will escape the cull if they can fill two colts teams rather than three. Someone else will get the crap end of the stick. The stars are aligning etc...

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)
Again I will reiterate, I am the most cynical of cynics so take this with a pinch of salt. Something smells wrong here as young gun has also suggested. I can see a 10 team Shute Shield next season. Penrith will be gone, and Gordon will escape the cull if they can fill two colts teams rather than three. Someone else will get the crap end of the stick. The stars are aligning etc.
If it ain't Gordon the who will follow Penrith out the door ? Not really for this thread ......

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Again I will reiterate, I am the most cynical of cynics so take this with a pinch of salt. Something smells wrong here as young gun has also suggested. I can see a 10 team Shute Shield next season. Penrith will be gone, and Gordon will escape the cull if they can fill two colts teams rather than three. Someone else will get the crap end of the stick. The stars are aligning etc.

If a club is to go Gordon would be one of the last clubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.