• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Colts 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Heroic performance from the Manly boys, playing 70 minutes with a man down (rightfully) and losing another key player to injury. To go down by a single point is a moral victory.
I was on the opposite side to the tackle so can't comment

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Moyes should never be allowed to touchy again. That try decision was disgraceful. Not even Jim Stewart thought he had scored it. Once again not only do you have to beat Uni but you have to beat the 3 stooges. If you don't believe me ask the guys involved with Eastwood 2nd grade colts.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Was it Moyes in the washing shed's before the game washing the blue stipes out of his gold hair?

lily even Uni supporters after the game thought one of Reece's conversions went over but Moyes waived it away.
The number of times the Uni 7 rolled over in the ruck to kill the ball - I'll be.

The colts went down by 1 point with only 14 players on the park, and in my eyes 2 questionable decisions that related directly to points.

stonecutter

Chris McKivat (8)
Manly's performance was outstanding considering the circumstances that evolved in the match. Losing Hodge to injury was unfortunate, losing Foketi to a red card wasn't as the rules are clear in regard to lift tackles. Across the park Manly's individual flair seemed to have greater attacking potency but Uni's teamwork and numbers game just kept pressuring away and snuck in front despite making a number of unusual errors. The try that started from within Uni's in goal area from a turnover and finished in the far corner was worth travelling that far to see. Baranyi's ability to cover the 12 position kept Manly in the game but I thought the Uni winger Narracott had the most influence on the games outcome.

In regard to the officials, those of us at the bar thought it was a no try (Stewart's) but we were slightly further away than the touchie and its not a good angle to adjudicate on goal kicks but the ref did flog Uni continually (and justly) for being offside at the breakdown throughout the game.

It would be nice next season if the SRU didn't make supporters spend a tank of petrol or a 90 min bus ride to support their teams throughout a finals series. Forshaw is a great facility and has a rightful claim to some of the games but not the whole series.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
That Narracott kid was freaking fast.

Matt is light-framed and already has a clear focus on how he sees his rugby career developing. He wants to concentrate on Sevens. I think that makes sense for him and is a good thing for Australian Rugby. We need to emulate other countries and build our Sevens programs - male and female - around players who are prepared to make a serious commitment.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Matt is light-framed and already has a clear focus on how he sees his rugby career developing. He wants to concentrate on Sevens. I think that makes sense for him and is a good thing for Australian Rugby. We need to emulate other countries and build our Sevens programs - male and female - around players who are prepared to make a serious commitment.

Geez, I hate Sevens. It's fine for what it was designed for (preseason training) but I wouldn't cross the road to watch a game. The World Sevens tournament seems to me to take place all over the world in front of empty stadiums, for the benefit of TV, while removing from club football talented players who might strengthen the competition.

Well done Manly on a great effort and a great season. But a word to Manly supporters in this thread - it's useless implying that Manly might have won had they kept 15 men on the field. Having the discipline to keep 15 men on the field is an integral part of the game. It's the same thing as saying, we would have won if we hadn't missed all those tackles.

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)
So close to the Lottery The Galah.
Indeed Hugh ! In London at present for work - actually caught the double header at Twickenham for the opening round of Aviva premiership
( 60,000 there - for another thread but ARU can only dream) , saw the game on you tube yesterday evening. Heartbreaking loss - send offs in finals always tough particularly when the "tipped" player seemed to bounce back up - was yellow not an option? I think Hodge going off didn't help either - not only number one kicker but also captain. There were questions over a Uni try I have heard see above from Lily . All history now but the send off won't be the excuse Snort!

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Indeed Hugh ! In London at present for work - actually caught the double header at Twickenham for the opening round of Aviva premiership
( 60,000 there - for another thread but ARU can only dream) , saw the game on you tube yesterday evening. Heartbreaking loss - send offs in finals always tough particularly when the "tipped" player seemed to bounce back up - was yellow not an option? I think Hodge going off didn't help either - not only number one kicker but also captain. There were questions over a Uni try I have heard see above from Lily . All history now but the send off won't be the excuse Snort!

Manly don't need excuses. They had a great season and came very close to beating a very good, very strong side. They should be proud of what they have achieved (although it would be unnatural, I guess, if there were not some disappointment and frustration initially).

thecow

Ward Prentice (10)

No room to move for that tackle. Player landed on his head - referees were told at the start of the season that any tackle past the horizontal where the tackled player lands on the head/neck region AND/OR hand which would have broken the fall, automatic red card. We are not going in the direction of NRL where the punishment is based on the injury level of the player.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
A link to the game would be good because they only had about 40 seconds of not backs running the ball on the ABC at half time yesterday.

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)
A link to the game would be good because they only had about 40 seconds of not backs running the ball on the ABC at half time yesterday.

Apparently the vision is unlisted so public search of YouTube won't work . I received a link via the club. Not sure why this is so

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Last year there was a NSW Under 19 team chosen that played a match against a Queensland U19 selection.

Did this happen this year, or was last years experiment deemed a failure?

It would seem that our age group "rep" players (fringe academy) need to play more high level rugby than less, particularly given our recent performance in Under 20 Jnr RWC competitions.

EDIT:

Which organisation/s would be responsible for coordinating these Inter-State Age group matches? ARU, ARU HPU, NSW RU/QLD RU, Sydney RU/Brisbane RU ?

Tah and feathered

Watty Friend (18)
I heard that it was QLD turn to travel to Sydney for the U/19 game and they said they wouldn't travel.
Last years game was a great success and should continue

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
You Tube link found to the 2013 GF (somewhat late) - supplied by Keith Fleming Video

1st Half

2nd Half

Status
Not open for further replies.