• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Continued decline in Sydney Junior Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

S'UP

Bill Watson (15)
Kerry Brady is NSW JRU President, not SJRU President. Think she is the SJRU Past President.

I may have to go through the local Village Club to try and get a copy.

Just seems a little slack to not have those rather important documents not published on the Website, particularly when there is provision for such, and a good past history of doing so.
I think with a title like this Kerry Brady SJRU Competitions Manager she should be able to help.

S'UP

Bill Watson (15)
she is a good person who is overworked, and IMO is left to hold the can for decisions made by other people.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
2014 SJRU Competition Rules state in part:
5.5 Forfeits

H) The Competition Manager may disqualify any Team that forfeits three (3) or more Matches in a season. If a Team forfeits three (3) or more Matches in a season, they will be required to furnish an explanation to the Competition Manager as to why they should remain in the Competition. In this instance the Team will be deemed to have withdrawn from the Competition and Competition Rule 3.13 will apply and / or the Team will become ineligible to participate in the Final Series.

Buddha tells us that there have been 48 games recorded as being forfeited this season.
Of those 48 forfeits, 28 are one off events.

5 teams are responsible for the remaining 20 forfeited games. These are:
Petersham, Under 12F, 7 Forfeits, Rounds 6-12
Coogee, Under 15A, 2 Forfeits, Rounds 5 and 6
Killara West Pymble, Under 15A, 2 Forfeits, Rounds 6 and 8
Chatswood Stags, Under16A, 6 Forfeits, Rounds, 5, 6, 7, 9, 11, and 12
Manly Roos, Opens, 3 Forfeits, Round 1,3,4 (round 2 was a Bye). They were removed from the draw in round 5.

How can a team which has forfeited 6 times in 12 rounds still be in the competition?

mangled

Frank Nicholson (4)
The constitution is being updated in consultation with districts. .. this is prob why not there

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
Anyone got a copy of the latest revision of the SJRU Constitution?

While there is some underlined text on the SJRU Website purporting to be a link to the constitution, there is nothing to click onto when I visit the page. Perhaps it is because I an visiting via a Mac instead of a PC.

I am interested to understand the constitutional requirements and procedure for election of SJRU officials at the AGM.

Still no copy of the 2013 Annual Report on their Web site either. I guess that must have been distributed on a "need to know" basis.

http://www.juniors.rugbynet.com.au/verve/_resources/2007_Constitution.pdf

Dated 2007 for what it's worth

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The Garling report came out in 2010. It recommended constitutional change, some of which appears to have been implemented.

The overall structure of the SJRU has fundamentally changed, rendering any 2007 constitution invalid.

Just expecting to see some transparency.

forwards4ever

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Kerry Brady is NSW JRU President, not SJRU President. Think she is the SJRU Past President.

I may have to go through the local Village Club to try and get a copy.

Just seems a little slack to not have those rather important documents not published on the Website, particularly when there is provision for such, and a good past history of doing so.
Kerry Brady is the competition manager for SJRU. She wears several hats. She should be able to email you the current constitution. The SJRU started looking at revising it in 2011, but to my knowledge nothing has been presented at any meetings to formalize changes.

Shane Smeltz

Fred Wood (13)
2014 SJRU Competition Rules state in part:
5.5 Forfeits

H) The Competition Manager may disqualify any Team that forfeits three (3) or more Matches in a season. If a Team forfeits three (3) or more Matches in a season, they will be required to furnish an explanation to the Competition Manager as to why they should remain in the Competition. In this instance the Team will be deemed to have withdrawn from the Competition and Competition Rule 3.13 will apply and / or the Team will become ineligible to participate in the Final Series.

Buddha tells us that there have been 48 games recorded as being forfeited this season.
Of those 48 forfeits, 28 are one off events.

5 teams are responsible for the remaining 20 forfeited games. These are:
Petersham, Under 12F, 7 Forfeits, Rounds 6-12
Coogee, Under 15A, 2 Forfeits, Rounds 5 and 6
Killara West Pymble, Under 15A, 2 Forfeits, Rounds 6 and 8
Chatswood Stags, Under16A, 6 Forfeits, Rounds, 5, 6, 7, 9, 11, and 12
Manly Roos, Opens, 3 Forfeits, Round 1,3,4 (round 2 was a Bye). They were removed from the draw in round 5.

Mentioned in this post about forfeits are the 15As.
Most of the posts on this thread recently have been about a certain 16s team and their forfeits.

But next year the 15As will be the 16As.
Today I watched a 15A game. One of the teams has forfeited one game because of lack of players. The other has never needed to.

Today at this game Team A beat Team B most convincingly, and deservedly.
But Team A had a bench full of subs and Team B had just one fit sub, a small back.
I think most people reading this thread will be aware that the bench full of subs for Team A do not reside in the area of the club of which they represent.
One of the players in Team A just registered yesterday apparently! Good timing because I think they were down to just 7 fit strong subs, this player did not have an i.d. card or anything as he was registered so recently.
Team B looked longingly at Team A's bench of large, fit subs with envy as the score-line blew out. When a prop went down he was encouraged to get straight back into it (he was ok as it turned out) as without that prop the team would have to go to uncontested scrums and all the drama involved with that.

At this time of the season most of the teams in all ages, let alone 15As, are struggling for numbers.
I feel the forfeits will continue amongst the other 15A clubs, except for the one who was Team A today.
But it will not be just due to lack of player numbers, it may well be due to clubs deciding that playing Team A at all may not be worth it.
With a bit of luck for them, Team A might end up the only team team in the A-grade. Talk about world domination.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
SS, this seems to be junior club rugby in the 21st century. Try to concentrate as much of the available talent into one team as possible - it seems to apply to village and district rep level. Some adults don't want to leave any room for doubt in their offspring's triumphant march through junior sport.

It's the adults doing this, not the kids.

RonnyGibbs

Herbert Moran (7)
Was at blacktown v hunters hill today 14A today, blacktown won 17-7, good tough game played in good spirit and very tough, credit to both teams.

Shane Smeltz

Fred Wood (13)
SS, this seems to be junior club rugby in the 21st century. Try to concentrate as much of the available talent into one team as possible - it seems to apply to village and district rep level. Some adults don't want to leave any room for doubt in their offspring's triumphant march through junior sport.

It's the adults doing this, not the kids.

I'm sure you are right QH.

Team A had actually lost a couple of games during this season due to a particular player being MIA due to his league commitments.
The adults didn't like that at all and begged him to come back. So he was there today as they returned to their previous dominating form (same as last year).
The smile on his face today as he ran home his umpteenth try was a joy to see.
If you were a Team A parent that is.

Well done Team A - back on track to take out the 15As title again in 2014.

* Edit - another forfeit in the 15As today shown on Buddha. Third forfeit by this team this season, poor kids. This team is due to play 'Team A' next Sunday. We'll see. I rest my case.

Druid

Herbert Moran (7)
Well Hills have now had 3 forfeits in a row against them in 16A's. They have not had a game since the 20/07. The poor thing about this is they traveled earlier in the season and had the last 4 games at home. Out of these last 4 games 3 have now been forfeited. So teams in an "A" grade competition are happy to play provided it is at home (with the exception of Chatswood who does not want to play at all), but are unhappy to respectfully return the courtesy and travel to an opposition's home ground!!!!

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Well Hills have now had 3 forfeits in a row against them in 16A's. They have not had a game since the 20/07. The poor thing about this is they traveled earlier in the season and had the last 4 games at home. Out of these last 4 games 3 have now been forfeited. So teams in an "A" grade competition are happy to play provided it is at home (with the exception of Chatswood who does not want to play at all), but are unhappy to respectfully return the courtesy and travel to an opposition's home ground!!!!

How sad what junior club rugby has become. This sort of stuff can only happen with weak or ineffectual administration or if administrators are part of the problem.

If the same clubs are doing this all the time - suspend the club for 12 months.

We heard from someone from Chatswood 16 As somewhere that they only had 12 players at the start of the season (I can't find the posts now) as an explanation for their long list of forfeits (which curiously assumed epic proportions after the State Champs). How irresponsible to enter a team when you only have 12 players.

EDIT: And all NFJ seems to worry about is lopsided school games:mad:

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Posts from another thread here @Quick Hands.

<snip>
Chatswood was left with 14 players (all rep players) to start the comp and then 2 got told they can't play by their school First XV coaches. To get a team each week we were reliant on friends of players agreeing to play on an ad hoc basis.

These kids have pretty much all played junior rugby since they were 8 and they wanted the opportunity to make rep teams this year. We tried to join up with other teams (Lane Cove and Wahroonga) but they wanted to go alone so it was a massive struggle from Day 1 and the best we could ever achieve was to try and qualify for rep teams. Playing a full year with 14 players was never going to work so the plan had to change.

We apologise to the teams that have been left without a game but we simply could not field a team.
<snip>

Chatswood have 14 regulars, 2 of whom can't now play - the other 12 have helped out once or twice at most to get a team on the field.

The minimum aim is to play enough games so that all our rep players get to wear the jersey they earned - we spend enormous amounts of time to find players so our rep players qualify by the rules and don't miss out.

Admittedly it is not an ideal way for our opponents but we don't have an alternative - no-one would join up with us.

The Team in question appears to have started the season with only 14 players.

The majority of these were deemed representative quality and had earned a tilt at U16 representative jumpers because they had been playing since the Under 9's.

Their stated intent in participating in the competition was to meet the minimum eligibility criteria for their representative quality players who are the best in their positions.

<snip>

EDIT: And all NFJ seems to worry about is lopsided 1st XV AAGPS school games:mad:
Fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.