• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cooking meat outdoors

How should meat be cooked outdoors?

• Total voters

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
My way of cooking steak.

Pour half cup of oil in bowl. Finely chop 2 cloves of garlic and add to oil with a lot of salt ( 2.5 tspn). Add steak and marinate for one hour.

Cook one side till nicely charred. Turn and cook other side to desired doneness. For me this is less than 2 minutes, rare.

Rest. Rest. Rest. On a warm plate with foil draped over. 10 minutes.

Simple. True taste of steak.
Try the grill next time. The fire must have some flames still.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Opinions on butter v oil when cooking steak in a heavy pan?

I've tended to put a few drops of oil on then a knob of butter so that the butter doesnt burn. They cook the steak on it?

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Opinions on butter v oil when cooking steak in a heavy pan?

I've tended to put a few drops of oil on then a knob of butter so that the butter doesnt burn. They cook the steak on it?
Depend on the taste you wants? I grew up with butter and always will prefer it, also healthier. Anyway I think its a bit of a waiste frying steak in a pan, should be open fire or flames on a gas grill. My Mrs do marinade our steak one day earlier with Olive Oil and fresh lemon juice. Oil do helps getting that flame going when braaiing steak over hot coals .

When making potjie I try not to use oil .butter/margarine, wants my meat to produce its own sauce and much healthier. Always cook my potjie meat (lamb shanks and add a few thick lamb ribs) a little bit first to release the fat making its own frying oil/butter.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Paarl, you'll be happy to know that I am in the Republic on business at the moment and have consumed more red meat and red wine than I thought a human body was capable of. Much of it was BBQ'd too ;)

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Just knocked off a lovely bit of Scotch fillet, on the Weber (lid down) - medium rare and superb! Enjoy the Republic, TBH.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Nah sorry Boet, heading home tonight. Trust me, I'd love to be heading down to the Cape for the weekend, but the company won't pay for that ;) I will say that I've had some fantastic hospitality while I've been here.

Cyclo, I'd say this has been one of my most enjoyable work trips ever.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Cyc which cut is a Scotch fillet? I have such a busy weekend of line walking , cant get a braai init.
This one! :p Rib-eye steak.
images

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Nah sorry Boet, heading home tonight. Trust me, I'd love to be heading down to the Cape for the weekend, but the company won't pay for that ;) I will say that I've had some fantastic hospitality while I've been here.

Cyclo, I'd say this has been one of my most enjoyable work trips ever.
Have a good trip back home.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Oh looks great bit to steam that quality in a Weber, goodness crazy Cyc.
Not steamed mate. Get it hot, 3 and a half minutes each side, but keep the lid closed - sears it beautifully, tender as anything. Marinated with some olive oil and sea salt prior. Only problem was my son ate his whole bit, and I missed seconds! :)

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Had my usual braai yesterday. I call it organised braai. Close grill for the small pieces like chicken, loin choppies and boerewors(you dont want to pinch them and it lose all its own sauce) and open grill for the bigger leg chops and lamb rib. Rooster Koeke needs to be turn by hand. Weather wasnt good but I just have to braai at least once a weekend. Stormers losing so saturday wasnt an option
braaigeorden.jpg

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Eat your heart out, PB....a BBQ at my mate's 5 star resort in Mexico (pls let me know if the pic doesnt appear below)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-AK (Andrew Kellaway)-prn1/545142_10150962077327784_526437783_12129521_284716367_n.jpg