• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cooking meat outdoors

How should meat be cooked outdoors?

• Total voters

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Paarl that is the best barby I have ever seen. We have fire bans. Don't know of I would get away with the smoke from the initial fire but I. Am going to be giving this ago mate. And I have to make the grill tongs thingo that holds the meat. I have seem them on tv before.

Here's one for you all. I heard that the whole "turn your steak once" is a crock of shit from a very good meat chef. I think he is right. Turning your stake 6 times is better then once.
Thoughts?

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Paarl that is the best barby I have ever seen. We have fire bans. Don't know of I would get away with the smoke from the initial fire but I. Am going to be giving this ago mate. And I have to make the grill tongs thingo that holds the meat. I have seem them on tv before.

Here's one for you all. I heard that the whole "turn your steak once" is a crock of shit from a very good meat chef. I think he is right. Turning your stake 6 times is better then once.
Thoughts?

The fire dont make smoke, its when you start braaiing when the smell (the best part of braai) and smoke comes. Dunno about the turning 6 times Boet, you need to leave them before the first time turning. You need to seal the meat to keep the good stuff inside. Myself like it raw, a good veg must still be able to pull the cow through.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Every man and his dog seems to think they know how to cook the perfect steak.

Science says that searing on each side doesn't 'seal' in the juices like people seem to believe. But none the less that's how I like my steak, as I think searing gives it a nice taste whilst keeping it juicy enough inside.

I like to marinate, rest, sear till you see the blood rising to the top of the raw side and then turn. Then take it off the heat and let it rest for a little longer before serving.

Scotch fillet does it for me. Not a fan of t-bones as I can never stop them leaking their juice everywhere, even when I sear and then bake.

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)

Thoughts?

I tried cooking a steak recently using the method of turning every 60 seconds. I also brushed it with a maple syrup based hickory BBQ sauce in the final minute. It was probably the best tasting steak I've ever cooked, but that isn't saying much.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I like my basting sauce (usually marinade) with steak. Put it on the side to heat up. usually braai the steak and before serving and just dip it in the braai pan sauce before serving. Mrs always makes a creamy (the real one) mushroom sauce with our steak. All braai meat is suppose to be eaten from the grill, steak included. Meat dont need rest time, from the grill to the stomach the quicker the better.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
What, if any, condiments do you guys like with your steak? I'm a massive hot English mustard fan, and that's usually it for me. Sometimes a red wine or mushroom sauce if I'm somewhere really nice like here (although that's not very often)

Otherwise blowing my brains out with the yellow stuff all the way.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
What, if any, condiments do you guys like with your steak? I'm a massive hot English mustard fan, and that's usually it for me. Sometimes a red wine or mushroom sauce if I'm somewhere really nice like here (although that's not very often)

Otherwise blowing my brains out with the yellow stuff all the way.
In SA we get a lot of marinades, I usually use Steers spare rib marinate for most braaiing stuff.
2325l.jpg
Nothing else.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Lions wors hit the SA market
http://a1.sphotos.AK (Andrew Kellaway).fbcdn.net/hphotos-AK (Andrew Kellaway)-ash4/402981_267724079959526_151843218214280_708936_138542870_n.jpg

The Golden Lions Rugby Union, in conjunction with Crown National and Spar, has launched their own range of meat, and supporters are invited to help us choose the best boerewors for the brand. Visit Ruimsig Super Spar at 10am or Rant-en-Dal Spar in Krugersdorp at 12:30pm THIS SATURDAY, 28 January 2012. Aside from voting for the best boerewors, you will stand the chance to win some exciting prizes, have photos with Mufasa, and meet some of the MTN Lions upcoming starts such as Bradley Moolman, Francois du Toit and Ross Cronje​

S

spooony

Pofadder wors is better
Steak you don't braai on a grill you use a plate to braai it on. Like the back of a pots lid.

What we normally did with the Texan steaks is to hit it with a hammer marinade it in the fridge for a couple of days.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Pofadder wors is better
Steak you don't braai on a grill you use a plate to braai it on. Like the back of a pots lid.

What we normally did with the Texan steaks is to hit it with a hammer marinade it in the fridge for a couple of days.
I am a bit carefull where I buy that pofadder. My late father in law was a butcher in Beaufort Wes , grew up at Griekwastad and made a mean pofadder, also made an excellent boerwors.

I'll never braai steak on a plate, never. Like the charcoal taste init.

Regarding the pot, you right, I never stir mine, pack them in layers, from the hardest to get done to the easieast. Will only stir when its done before serving.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
If you stir a chicken potjie it end up into "chicken alla landmine" or like we use to say in the army days, "find the meat and win a Datsun"

I

Ilie Tabua's Shadow

Ok, I learn more about braai's as this thread progresses.

ScepticalScotty

Stan Wickham (3)
I have a couple of the Hairy Bikers books and they are great cooks, who clearly love thier food. The pointed out IIRC that in London the secretaries in designer clothes eat skinny mocca lattes and green leaf salad...in Argentina they want STEAKS!!!

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)
My way of cooking steak.

Pour half cup of oil in bowl. Finely chop 2 cloves of garlic and add to oil with a lot of salt ( 2.5 tspn). Add steak and marinate for one hour.

Cook one side till nicely charred. Turn and cook other side to desired doneness. For me this is less than 2 minutes, rare.

Rest. Rest. Rest. On a warm plate with foil draped over. 10 minutes.

Simple. True taste of steak.