• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cooper boxing:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
talking about this at work today with some Sharks supporters. General feeling is that Gallen may miss most of the season if Hika takes this seriously.

Apparently Hika is taking it seriously. He trained all through the northern tour and started far before the other fighters, knowing his lead-in would be interrupted. He's very mobile for a 112kg man, and he's done martial arts all his life. I really think he's going to be handy.

Greg Bird is going to kill Ranger though.

T

TOCC

In your first few fights physicality pales when compared to the technical understanding of boxing, it's quite easy for someone with more composure/experience to outclass an opponent who is physically superior

BarneySF

Bob Loudon (25)
Does anyone think that the boxing/training for, will have an impact on QC (Quade Cooper)'s defence? Perhaps in the mental as well as physical dept?

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
There's nothing wrong with his attitude. I've never seen him run away from a tackle. His problem, is that his default defensive mode is to go high and try to strip the ball/shut down the offload.

Works sometimes, but most of the time it doesn't. He needs to spend 3 weeks solid with the Fainga'a twins, with Ita Vaea hired out for once a week tackling sessions, with the brief "make it as difficult as possible for him to tackle you. Run over/around/through etc, but make it hard". That'd sort him out, we just need to get his default mode to be 'daisy cutter'.

Also, when are these fights happening? IE Hika/Gallen etc?

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Well that was a surprise. Gallen has been working out in the off season he was huge!

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Greg Bird is going to kill Ranger though.

Ranger was robbed I thought. He should've got the points decision.

Gallen showed decent form IMO. Some decent technique to get through Hika's defensive stance.

The Flavell v Mason fight was a bit of a laugh.

Was hoping 'Los would knockout McCracken right at the end there.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
... and Paul Gallen will potentially require surgery on his elbow after his fight.

I think anyone saying that there is no risk of injury and players should be freely allowed to pursue this sort of thing is becoming even more tenuous.

T

TOCC

... and Paul Gallen will potentially require surgery on his elbow after his fight.

I think anyone saying that there is no risk of injury and players should be freely allowed to pursue this sort of thing is becoming even more tenuous.

I don't think anyone has said there is no risk, but you need to keep it relative.. These players play a contact sport, through the training there is always going to be risk of injury..

How many Australian players are already out for the season purely through training , Fitzgerald and McDuling? Wouldn't be surprised if Gallen was already carrying some injury in the elbow.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't think anyone has said there is no risk, but you need to keep it relative.. These players play a contact sport, through the training there is always going to be risk of injury..

How many Australian players are already out for the season purely through training , Fitzgerald and McDuling? Wouldn't be surprised if Gallen was already carrying some injury in the elbow.

Gallen did already have issues with his elbow.

Rugby is a contact sport and injuries happen frequently. There's no point allowing the people you are paying to engage in other activities which are likely to injure them. Especially when the other activity is of no benefit to what you're paying them for.

T

TOCC

Gallen did already have issues with his elbow.

Rugby is a contact sport and injuries happen frequently. There's no point allowing the people you are paying to engage in other activities which are likely to injure them. Especially when the other activity is of no benefit to what you're paying them for.

Yes I've now read the Gallen had 'tennis elbow' prior to the fight, probably lucky they are cleaning it up now rather then mid-season.

As for other activities which may induce injuries, well no one complained when they participated in Australia's Greatest Athlete... I've also seen players twittering jet-skis in there offseason as well as numerous drinking sessions.. If the QRU is happy to accept the risk, then so be it..

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Back from holidays and I thought it time to drag a QC (Quade Cooper) thread back to the front page I reckon! :confused: (Read: sorry!)

Mods: I thought it better to post here than to start a new thread in the "Everything Else" section but it may be better to move this whole thread over there??

Anyway, QC (Quade Cooper)'s opponent has been announced and the media conferences have started. This guy says all the right things (but then again he'd have Nasser in his ear) and I thought on reading one of the web news stories that he may actually have some ability.

Then I found out his pro boxing record is 1 from 2. "Seasoned fighter"? pfft. The loss by KO and the win by split decision and both fights being within a week of each other in 2010. He's primarily a kick boxer though so I did a YouTube search for Barry Dunnett and found the video below. Anyway skip to 2:20 for the start of the actual fight. For someone criticising Quade's technique he's pretty limited himself. He looks like a douche bag to me which is what I guess they want. Long story short they've found another also ran to throw in the ring with QC (Quade Cooper) and whilst I usually go for the boxer as opposed to the "Celebrity Boxer", I hope Quade flogs him! :D

Edit: Barry (QC (Quade Cooper)'s opponent) is the guy in the blue/white trunks.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
''It's a bit strange, isn't it,'' Larkham said of Cooper's bout. ''Even if one of our guys was playing touch footy 10 days before a really important match it wouldn't be right.
''It [wouldn't] sit well with the Brumbies culture, but there are different circumstances up there.
''If it was a Brumbies player, it certainly wouldn't be happening........."
Ding ding ding.........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom