• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

COVID-19 Stuff Here

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Goddamn you have a low bar for Trump to meet.

Trump like Morrison couldn't really do that much, they can advise and recommend but the states are in charge. Both like to take credit (and they get the blame) for stuff out of their control

They can close the borders, but they can't provide an order to close a business in New York or Wagga Wagga

The UK is much more centralised with Boris

On the UK and risk, i thought this was interesting
http://inproportion2.talkigy.com/pages/covid.html

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
21/50 US States are seeing an increase in cases & deaths. Cuomo's NY isn't one of them but several of those that lifted stay-at-home orders etc at Trump's behest (& before meeting CDC's criteria for doing so) are.

View attachment 11530

Can we get beyond cases? That is a factor of more testing and was always going to rise

Hospitalisations and % of ICU beds used are the important factors

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Trump like Morrison couldn't really do that much, they can advise and recommend but the states are in charge. Both like to take credit (and they get the blame) for stuff out of their control

They can close the borders, but they can't provide an order to close a business in New York or Wagga Wagga

The UK is much more centralised with Boris

On the UK and risk, i thought this was interesting
http://inproportion2.talkigy.com/pages/covid.html
Interesting?
hopelessly biased.
The lockdown was a wasted exercise, because months after the lockdown, less people are dead than the Hong Kong flu killed without lockdown?
your individual risk of dying is only 1 or 2% higher, so it’s a waste of time?
2% of 66million is....only 1.3 Million.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Interesting?
hopelessly biased.
The lockdown was a wasted exercise, because months after the lockdown, less people are dead than the Hong Kong flu killed without lockdown?
your individual risk of dying is only 1 or 2% higher, so it’s a waste of time?
2% of 66million is..only 1.3 Million.

Retrospect is fun, but there is a growing argument the lockdown wasn't as necessary as was first thought

But the Norwegian public health authority has published a report with a striking conclusion: the virus was never spreading as fast as had been feared and was already on the way out when lockdown was ordered. ...........................................

Camilla Stoltenberg, director of Norway’s public health agency, has given an interview where she is candid about the implications of this discovery. ‘Our assessment now, and I find that there is a broad consensus in relation to the reopening, was that one could probably achieve the same effect – and avoid part of the unfortunate repercussions – by not closing. But, instead, staying open with precautions to stop the spread.’ This is important to admit, she says, because if the infection levels rise again – or a second wave hits in the winter – you need to be brutally honest about whether lockdown proved effective.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/norway-health-chief-lockdown-was-not-needed-to-tame-covid

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Sure.

22/50 States are now seeing an increase in DEATHS. That is a factor of more INFECTIONS (assuming the deaths/ infections rate stays more or less constant).

and we were always going to see more deaths from this thing, so stay healthy, lose weight and if you are in a risk category take the extra precautions etc etc

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Retrospect is fun, but there is a growing argument the lockdown wasn't as necessary as was first thought
If you hadn’t posted an article that was retrospectively trying cherry pick facts to suit their POV, I wouldn’t have commented.

so, not quite sure of your point.

i would have liked to have read the Norwegian report, but nothing I’ve read in English, suggests anything other than delays in enforcing lockdowns cost tens of thousands of lives.

the argument for when restrictions should have been lifted, with suitable precautions is a totally different argument.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
It'll be interesting to see how hard American drug companies keep pushing for a vaccine if the virus continues to run its course in the US.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Given the Orange fool was recently bragging they have already stockpiled 2M vaccines(that are in trial phase)
I'd suggest they are desperate to roll anything out, regardless of efficacy, or safety.

it’s all about perceptions, and getting re elected.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
^^
If the trials fail, I’m not sure how much more cash will be pushed. The election will be over by then and the US will probably have seen the worst of it. Concerning for Aus and NZ who need a vaccine to fully return to normality, hopefully UQ pull through.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)

Sure, that's one way of looking at it. At the same time, Morrison hasn't been kicking and screaming about 'open it up' back in April to the Premiers.

There's the cliched saying in private companies of "The tone is set from the top" and when the "top" is saying big brain stuff like this;

"If we stop testing right now, we’d have very few cases, if any,” Trump said

"Our testing is so much bigger and more advanced than any other country (we have done a great job on this!) that it shows more cases. Without testing, or weak testing, we would be showing almost no cases. Testing is a double edged sword - Makes us look bad, but good to have!!!" Trump tweeted.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthca...top-testing-right-now-wed-have-very-few-cases

boyo

Mark Ella (57)

1f9a6.svg

Marie-Caroline

1f9a5.svg

@NoWay7790

The 3 countries with the most COVID19 deaths in the world are led by right-wing populists who don’t take responsibility but blame others . Yet, they’re still popular with their supporters. The mind boggles

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Give it a week before the cretinous ""journalists"" are back with the click-bait sob stories about how some expat can't see their vegetable state grandma, they've not seen since they were four years old, for a quick Instagram selfie.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
22 new cases in Vic over night. 15 were returned travellers, which gives the impression that everyone overseas has it. I imagine the truth is we'd all be surprised by how many people are coming into the country every day.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
USA will hit 120000 deaths today. 0.035% of their population. Brazil is about to explode off the chart by the looks of things. Hard to see how they will social distance. Russia is outright lying about their deaths from COVID. India will also get hit hard but like a lot of countries we will never know how many died from this. They just don't have the means to deal with this gig a disease.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
USA will hit 120000 deaths today. 0.035% of their population. Brazil is about to explode off the chart by the looks of things. Hard to see how they will social distance. Russia is outright lying about their deaths from COVID. India will also get hit hard but like a lot of countries we will never know how many died from this. They just don't have the means to deal with this gig a disease.
I assume China is lying too, with some evidence indicating the outbreak may have started last August.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I’d be interested to know the % of returning travellers with COVID-19. Seems everyone that comes back from overseas has it.