• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

COVID-19 Stuff Here

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Ew7VBvYXAAEWtFM

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Time to revisit this

The usual suspects will try to defend the indefensible, including deflection, whataboutery, etc. (it's a sure bet ).

The U.K. has 100000+ deaths, whereas Taiwan has 7 deaths.

Right-wing governments will always protect the party and the leader at all costs before the population. They don't want to upset their voters, and will look after their donors. They seem to believe that they are the natural party of government (true arrogance). They will never truly apologise for their actions or inactions (they will proffer only faux apologies).

Inevitable pile-in in 3, 2, 1

Certain politicians and businesses don't give a crap about protecting lives, such people are more concerned about protecting businesses not protecting lives; protecting businesses which want to re-open, businesses which want to start operating again.
This is not about protecting the public.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Obviously the $64K question re: the T-T travel bubble aka Quarantine-Free Travel (QFT) is what happens if there's an outbreak of some kind in one or more of your States & Territories. Here's the NZ Gov's framework, I'd imagine the Aus Gov's one wrt NZ would be similar if not identical?

IMG_1086.JPG

Even if only half as many people travel as pre-Covid that's still 20-30K* of us in Aus & you in NZ on any given day which shows the magnitude of the challenge managing QFT will present.

* Edit: seems that was total arrivals into NZ from all countries so the actual number will be more like 5-10K.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
grace pettigrew

@broomstick33

Morrison failed to secure the borders, failed to establish federal quarantine facilities, failed to secure diverse vaccine contracts, failed to establish vaccination hubs to supplement GP rollout, now businesses failing as jobkeeper withdrawn, Liberal donors must be getting antsy

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
grace pettigrew

@broomstick33

Morrison failed to secure the borders, failed to establish federal quarantine facilities, failed to secure diverse vaccine contracts, failed to establish vaccination hubs to supplement GP rollout, now businesses failing as jobkeeper withdrawn, Liberal donors must be getting antsy
Every single Premier needs to be added to the list of incompetent political leaders during this medical emergency. Morrison and the Federal Govt are not Robinson Crusoe in the blame game.
Just one example - 900 deaths in Victoria caused by the quarantine stuff up.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Every single Premier needs to be added to the list of incompetent political leaders during this medical emergency. Morrison and the Federal Govt are not Robinson Crusoe in the blame game.
Just one example - 900 deaths in Victoria caused by the quarantine stuff up.

1f4a7.svg

Michael Dowling-Criticise me if you like but...

@MeckeringBoy

To be fair, Morrison never earned any “pandemic credentials”. He wanted (us) to live (and die) with the virus, keep borders open. He criticised Labor premiers for saving lives with lockdowns. LNP caused hundreds of deaths in federal-responsible aged care. He picked loser vaccine.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
This latest vaccine news fucking sucks. UK & USA are nearly vaccinated and are so much larger than we are. We're a very rich country for a small population, no excuse why we couldn't do it. Bananas. Apparently we're on the same trajectory as Germany or France but that should not be celebrated - we're two months behind countries that are crippled by COVID whoopee.

My only hope is that with USA & UK's successes the vaccine production can be turned elsewhere. But we're firmly at the back of the queue now.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
This latest vaccine news fucking sucks. UK & USA are nearly vaccinated and are so much larger than we are. We're a very rich country for a small population, no excuse why we couldn't do it. Bananas. Apparently we're on the same trajectory as Germany or France but that should not be celebrated - we're two months behind countries that are crippled by COVID whoopee.

My only hope is that with USA & UK's successes the vaccine production can be turned elsewhere. But we're firmly at the back of the queue now.

If we'd reached the initial target of 4 million people vaccinated by end March, where would those doses have come from? There's no surplus anywhere in the world (except where administration has been inefficient) - we'd be taking doses from countries that need it much more than us. US might be starting to get to a point now where they might be able to direct some production elsewhere, but that hasn't been the case before now.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
NZ Gov copping similar criticism re: the slow rollout but as Jacinda & others have been saying at every opportunity kiwis aren't dieing in their thousands so it's really not that big of a deal that we won't have half the population vaccinated until th final quarter of the year PROVIDED the border remains secure which it more-or-less is ATM.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
If we'd reached the initial target of 4 million people vaccinated by end March, where would those doses have come from? There's no surplus anywhere in the world (except where administration has been inefficient) - we'd be taking doses from countries that need it much more than us. US might be starting to get to a point now where they might be able to direct some production elsewhere, but that hasn't been the case before now.

Okay, if Australia suddenly takes a Citizen of the World position, I'll eat my hat. It's not what we've been told. I'm all for Australia suddenly finding it's moral compass wedged down the back of the couch and deciding "one for all, all for one" but this isn't it, this is incompetence. Unintended utilitarian incompetence but still a fuck up. I don't think when Scomo said "front of the queue", he was thinking about the waxen poor & needy getting vaccinated first.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Okay, if Australia suddenly takes a Citizen of the World position, I'll eat my hat. It's not what we've been told. I'm all for Australia suddenly finding it's moral compass wedged down the back of the couch and deciding "one for all, all for one" but this isn't it, this is incompetence. Unintended utilitarian incompetence but still a fuck up. I don't think when Scomo said "front of the queue", he was thinking about the waxen poor & needy getting vaccinated first.

Well, the vaccination rollout plan focuses on the vulnerable getting the vaccine first. I dunno, I'm just getting a little tired of people finding reasons to bitch about the government's response at every step: "I don't just want zero community transmission and economic support, I MUST be the first vaccinated in the world or you're all INCOMPETENT!!". Tiring. It even makes me sound like I'm defending ScoMo, and that makes me grumpy.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Well, the vaccination rollout plan focuses on the vulnerable getting the vaccine first. I dunno, I'm just getting a little tired of people finding reasons to bitch about the government's response at every step: "I don't just want zero community transmission and economic support, I MUST be the first vaccinated in the world or you're all INCOMPETENT!!". Tiring. It even makes me sound like I'm defending ScoMo, and that makes me grumpy.
I'm not asking for first, I'm not asking for second. By their own (now dropped) targets we wouldn't have been in the top 20, let alone first. I think the Govt. has sailed through with very little criticism whilst shifting all the responsibility to the states. Is it really that shrill and straw-clutching of me to expect the Government to actually diversify the vaccine orders to prevent this very easily foreseeable issue?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

My mother has already had her shots, my uncle has had his first, the experience from OS is two weeks after the second jab they are not getting hospitalisations, get the shot to the vulnerable and the job is pretty well done

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I should add they chased the shots, my partners mother (80yro) hasn't bothered even asking, we are having to chase and register for her

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Hang on, they missed THEIR target by a farkin mile.
THEIR target.
whenever anyone misses their target by 80%, by definition they have fucked up deluxe.

in the scheme of things, has their incompetence caused a disaster?
no.
but they have failed, and it’s not wrong to point it out.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Bang on, Rob. It's kind of along the lines of the old engineering maxim: you can fast, cheap or good - pick two.

We're getting none of those things currently though.

It is both true that we're in a very fortunate position of having close to zero COVID that getting vaccinated in a hurry is not essential and that the vaccine rollout has been a complete failure so far.

Everything from the timing of orders, approvals, restricting choice of vaccines and now the rollout has been botched. The communication around the AZ vaccine has also been a debacle. There's a very real chance that large swathes of the over 50 population that we intend to vaccinate with it will refuse that vaccine.

We're now very clearly likely to reach a situation where many other countries are returning international travel to normal while we won't be able to due to insufficient vaccination of our population. That's the point where there will actually be a steep cost to the failure.