• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

COVID-19 Stuff Here

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Hopefully it leads to the realisation that aged care work needs to be better paid and less casualised. It is very hard to protect aged care facilities if a large percentage of their workforces are casual/part time working across a number of facilities and industries.

If that's the case I hope we're prepared for how much more it's going to cost to avoid situations like this in the future. The other alternative I guess is that people will stay in their homes longer.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
OK I am a little bit suspect of how the entire Roosters League squad has had COVID and a few other clubs have only one or two players who haven’t contracted it.
What’s is the probability of this from a medical point of view? Are they having COVID parties so they don’t come down with it during the season. COVID decimated some of the cricket big bash teams.

Or maybe I shouldn’t be surprised given the average league players ability to behave himself off the field.?

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
So I was watching a travel video on the Youtubes just now, about a bloke who was travelling from Radelaide to Sri Lanka. He's in the travel trade I believe and this is the first time he's been out of the country in two years. Hit me right in the feels it did. Lucky bugger! Not sure when I'm going to be able to do that again from here in the Hermit Kingdom.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
A liitle bit of silver in the covid dark cloud:
Dr. Hans Kluge (director of WHO )said at a media briefing that there is a "singular opportunity" for countries across Europe to take control of COVID-19 transmission due to three factors: high levels of immunisation due to vaccination and natural infection, the virus' tendency to spread less in warmer weather and the lower severity of the omicron variant.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Dr. Hans Kluge (director of WHO )said at a media briefing that there is a "singular opportunity" for countries across Europe to take control of COVID-19 transmission due to three factors: high levels of immunisation due to vaccination and natural infection, the virus' tendency to spread less in warmer weather and the lower severity of the omicron variant.

Definitely. It is the same response from Norman Swan on the Aussie situation.

In both cases it is something of an Indian summer - much of the developing world has little vaccination and Omicron only seems to provide immunity for Omicron. Further strains are expected, but for now, subject to being boosted and following basic hygiene (mask, social distance, hand washing, etc) we are in a period of "COVID normal". (Except for WA.)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
OK I am a little bit suspect of how the entire Roosters League squad has had COVID and a few other clubs have only one or two players who haven’t contracted it.
What’s is the probability of this from a medical point of view? Are they having COVID parties so they don’t come down with it during the season. COVID decimated some of the cricket big bash teams.

Or maybe I shouldn’t be surprised given the average league players ability to behave himself off the field.?

I think this is pretty normal. With the contagiousness of Omicron, if you're hanging out with the same group of people regularly, either the whole group will get it if it gets introduced there or they will avoid it.

With all the outbreaks it is pretty uncommon if it's just one person who gets it and no one else does.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
I'm not sure what Dr Kluger means by "take control of COVID-19 transmission". We could control transmission of the early variants with lockdowns, contact tracing, etc. Delta we couldn't eradicate, and Omicron is way too transmissible to be controlled in any practical way.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Omicron numbers starting to overtake those for Delta: 209 cases today c.f. Delta peak of 215 in mid-November, 7-day rolling average 131 c.f. peak of 194 on 17/11 & bottoming out at 22 as recently as 19/01. It's a long weekend so testing will likely tank & cases numbers look pretty good for the next few days but it wouldn't surprise me if Tuesday's or Wednesday's are double today's.

Got an inside look at Waikato Hospital's Covid Ward on Monday: wifey presented at our medical centre with what we were sure was a chest infection but the doctor she saw thought pneumonia so packed her off to ED in an ambulance. Only she got swabbed for Covid but they kept us both in a closed room with a HEPA air scrubber until the test came back negative. In the interim nurses & the duty registrar came & went in full PPE & did what they needed to do without undue fuss. I found that very reassuring & walking out three hours after arrival, Amoxicillin prescription in hand, almost anti-climactic.

Reactions: dru

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Omicron numbers starting to overtake those for Delta: 209 cases today c.f. Delta peak of 215 in mid-November, 7-day rolling average 131 c.f. peak of 194 on 17/11 & bottoming out at 22 as recently as 19/01. It's a long weekend so testing will likely tank & cases numbers look pretty good for the next few days but it wouldn't surprise me if Tuesday's or Wednesday's are double today's.

Got an inside look at Waikato Hospital's Covid Ward on Monday: wifey presented at our medical centre with what we were sure was a chest infection but the doctor she saw thought pneumonia so packed her off to ED in an ambulance. Only she got swabbed for Covid but they kept us both in a closed room with a HEPA air scrubber until the test came back negative. In the interim nurses & the duty registrar came & went in full PPE & did what they needed to do without undue fuss. I found that very reassuring & walking out three hours after arrival, Amoxicillin prescription in hand, almost anti-climactic.
Great to hear a good news story.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Or are you willingly trolling?
Not trolling. Honestly looking al all sources of information and worried about the slavish adherence to just one line of thinking.
THIS would be me trolling:
"The great philosopher Sean Ono Lennon recently tweeted IF ivermectin DID actually turn out to be an effective medication for Covid-19, you get the feeling that SOME people would actually be upset. How invested in your narrative do you have to be to NOT want medication to work? Seems a teensy-weensy bit weird doncha think?"

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Not trolling. Honestly looking al all sources of information and worried about the slavish adherence to just one line of thinking.
THIS would be me trolling:
"The great philosopher Sean Ono Lennon recently tweeted IF ivermectin DID actually turn out to be an effective medication for Covid-19, you get the feeling that SOME people would actually be upset. How invested in your narrative do you have to be to NOT want medication to work? Seems a teensy-weensy bit weird doncha think?"

This is the rest of Tex post.
Comments made in Scenarios "Alpha" and "Delta".

Circumstances change and we now find ourselves in Scenario "Omicron".

Different scenarios.

Different parameters.

Why do you suggest comments made in Scenarios Alpha and Delta are somehow misleading when taken out of context and applied to Scenario Omicron?

Do you not understand why you are mixing apples and oranges? Or are you willingly trolling?

Ignoring anything that doesn't suit your narrative is not exactly honestly looking at all sources of information. There are plenty of teensy-teensy bit weird things happening in these discussions. None of the from Tex I think. Nor can I find any reference to anyone suggesting they'd be ticked off if Ivermectin becomes proven. But that IS the point FF (Folau Fainga'a). It needs to actually do this bit: actually turn out to be an effective medication for Covid-19.

Prior to that Ivermectin is simply horse paste.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
An interesting TikTok video has emerged showing deputy New South Wales Health secretary Susan Pearce explaining how covid hospitalisation numbers have been exaggerated.
There may be more to her statement not in the video but it appears she said that incidental covid is counted as a covid admission. Even if the patient only went in for treatment for a bicycle accident, if found to have covid their case was counted in the covid hospitalisations statistics.
If true, this admission leads to all sorts of concerns about the health advice and its reliance on case numbers, hospitalisations, and deaths.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
An interesting TikTok video has emerged showing deputy New South Wales Health secretary Susan Pearce explaining how covid hospitalisation numbers have been exaggerated.
There may be more to her statement not in the video but it appears she said that incidental covid is counted as a covid admission. Even if the patient only went in for treatment for a bicycle accident, if found to have covid their case was counted in the covid hospitalisations statistics.
If true, this admission leads to all sorts of concerns about the health advice and its reliance on case numbers, hospitalisations, and deaths.

Flagrantly dishonest in your assessment. Which sadly has become the norm for you on this thread.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Let me get this straight, A person presents at hospital with an injury and needs to be admitted. The hospital tests him and he presents as positive for COVID. They now have just as much work to do to manage secondary infections but people think they shouldn't be counted because that wasn't why they went there.
I wonder how many times it happened? I mean it'd be pretty rare to have to go to hospital and have COVID. Less than 1% of hospitalisations. 0.1%? Less?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
As COVID cases have got higher everywhere, the percentage of people getting attending hospital with COVID rather than for COVID has increased substantially.

It is very relevant because it changes how you have to deal with the patient and precautions that need to be taken etc.

This has also been higher in terms of percentage of admissions among children in lots of jurisdictions because they are more likely to have an asymptomatic case.

We are still talking about a minority of cases though and it's relevant that they are included because they need to be dealt with in COVID wards etc. so they are taking up COVID treatment capacity.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
The good thing from the stats is that the cases and ICU admissions seem to be dropping consistently across most states in OZ. I'm guessing life is on the improve over east?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The good thing from the stats is that the cases and ICU admissions seem to be dropping consistently across most states in OZ. I'm guessing life is on the improve over east?

I'm probably more confident being on public transport and going to shops/cafes/pubs etc. with a lower risk of getting COVID but in terms of rules etc. nothing has changed. We're still largely free to do what we want.

Hopefully the pressure on hospital staff is coming down. I don't think there was any way that was going to be reasonably avoided however they carry a huge load during the surge.

You would think by some of the media statements and comments by McGowan that we were in lockdown over here which is a long way from the truth.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Exactly as I thought. I'm so glad I get to talk to people from other parts of the world and Australia about what's really happening. The hysteria from the McGowan government and their enablers in parts of the press over here has been incredible. Fortunately I think the tide of opinion is starting to turn and there have been some hard questions being asked of the premier and his ministers at press conferences.

Friends of ours have just moved over from interstate, enrolled their kids in one of our local schools and now they are home schooling because of TWO cases in that school. Madness.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Big moves in the covid world recently.
Morrison announces international travel for vaccinated people will resume on Feb 21. This may impact Super Rugby scheduling and cause WA to open its borders.
The UK has announced it will revoke the vaxx mandate for health workers. Looks like its OK to work while unvaccinated. That's one hell of a statement to the rest of the world.