• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

COVID-19 Stuff Here

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Whether you agree with Snowden or not, his quote on privacy is an interesting one
"Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy because you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say."

tragic

John Solomon (38)
I’m still undecided but I haven’t yet seen a legitimate downside.
They are even planning on releasing the source code to assure everyone its a simple name/ phone no. swap and nothing else.
If there’s a Bluetooth dropout then you don’t get a number swap and you won’t be contacted - which is no different to not downloading the app in the first place.
But if It works then it makes the contact tracers job much easier.
And its irrelevant where the contact occurred - they just want to contact, test and isolate the close contact. Instead of relying on the memory and honesty (If the TAS rumours are correct) of the positive individual.
And I can’t see what power they would be abusing - just knowing who you stood next to for 15mins is not really a power if you weren’t doing anything illegal in that 15mins.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
A few comments an IT guy I worked with made to me you should keep in mind when it comes to getting all freaky about a tracking app.

1. If a big super power wants to hack you as a company or track you as an individual it doesn’t matter what virus malware etc etc you have they will hack you. Think North Korea and Sony Entertainment and I would not regard North Korea as sophisticated as most.

2. If you have done one of those Ancestry DNA tests you have screwed yourself completely, even having dopey relatives that do it mean they have an implied profile on you, your health, probability of disease, cancer etc and this information is sold to life insurance companies etc personally this is 100 times more concerning to me than a COVID19 tracking app.

3. A lot of programme code is written in China heaps of companies have their code written up in China because it is cheap. If they covered up the outbreak do you honestly think they aren’t putting a few extras in the code. You don’t know who has written the banking software, app software etc.

4. If you have an Huwaei phone enough said.

5. If you drive a Tesla you are being tracked and your vehicle monitored and can be remotely modified do you know what Elon Musk is doing with this information?

6. If you have Facebook and complain about a COVID19 app my goldfish is smarter than you.

Fair enough if you have privacy concerns over this app, but you maybe better served looking for Trojan Horses that you invite into your life everyday.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
From the ABC:

"There is no geolocation, there is no surveillance, there is no tracking," he said.
"The app simply connects with another app if those two phones are within 1.5 metres for 15 minutes.
"It simply swaps phone numbers and names."
He said the Government had enlisted the help of the Australian Signals Directorate and the Australian Cyber Security Centre, as well as other industry partners, to check the veracity of the security measures in place.
Mr Robert also said the Government would be publishing the source code for the app for people to view and comment on, as well as the privacy impact assessment when it was completed.
"We want to be as transparent as we possibly can," he said.
"It is a big Team Australia moment.
"When this app is released in the next week or two, we really need every Australian to download it and to run it."
The app is called TraceTogether and uses Bluetooth to create a record of other nearby phones that also have the app.

I wasn’t sure it was necessary with the way the curve is flattening but I suspect they want to test the asymptomatic community contacts of positive individuals to see how much is floating around undetected.
The yield of testing these people will be much higher than just randomly expanding testing anyone with a sniffle.
Maybe they should link the $750 handout and payroll support to downloading the app if they’re really serious about it. We’ll help you if you help us.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
2. If you have done one of those Ancestry DNA tests you have screwed yourself completely, even having dopey relatives that do it mean they have an implied profile on you, your health, probability of disease, cancer etc and this information is sold to life insurance companies etc personally this is 100 times more concerning to me than a COVID19 tracking app.

Yeah. The wife sent off the rights to her DNA (and therefore, partly that of my children) to a fucking genealogy group despite my warnings not to.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
Yeah. The wife sent off the rights to her DNA (and therefore, partly that of my children) to a fucking genealogy group despite my warnings not to.

Here is a good article on how genealogy sites were mined to find a killer based on relatives submissions. Whilst solving a crime is a positive it can be used to profile your inherited health characteristics which could seriously impact on you.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...entify-joseph-deangelo-as-suspect-police-say/

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

And the silliest thing about doing so is that they aren't all that more informative for most who have at least some knowledge of their background. My background is largely Irish (both sides of the family), French(paternal grandmother + Irish) and Russian (paternal grandfather + Irish) via way of England. I've known this for a long time as has my siblings. My cousin on the other hand didn't and much as your wife surrendered his rights to one of these DNA groups. He came back with the results and told us of his mix at a family event. Everything was as expected including the Scottish of his fathers line.

He was surprised that he had Jewish (the Russian line) heritage. In which my grandfather explained that his grandmother was the last active practising member of the faith in his family. None of it was new to those of us who had an idea of our family tree.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Well, one could extrapolate to many situations. I think we have more than enough surveillance upon our daily lives. It's naive to think it would be as innocuous as you state. I'm not convinced we need this. I won't be downloading it.

The biggest issue I have is that it does have the capability to be used for purposes beyond the intention.

The general refrain that if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear is all well and good but the reality with just about every law or civil liberty related issue is that they are predominantly administered more strongly against the most vulnerable in our community.

Harsh fines for breaching lockdown rules were instituted in NSW largely in response to thousands of people crowding Bondi Beach on a warm, sunny weekend. One of the first fines in the state was issued to a man in Parkes in Central West NSW.

Waverley Council area (which includes Bondi Beach) has the most COVID-19 cases in Australia yet only 2 out of over 150 fines issued as of April 9 were issued to people in that council area. The majority? South-Western Sydney which is a far lower socio-economic area and also has far less COVID-19 cases.

There are a multitude of examples which can be provided relating to other laws to show how they are very much not applied consistently and that the burden of how they are applied falls on particular groups in society.

There is also the potential where people who do have access to the data will use it for illegal purposes to the detriment of people doing nothing wrong (e.g. a Queensland Police officer providing the address details of a domestic violence victim to their abusive spouse who was his mate).

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
An interesting article with comments from Michael Burry, a doctor and also investor, about the risk and response with COVID-19. Coincidentally I was watching The Big Short last night and this guy was one of the people who recognised the looming crisis in the mortgage market and made out like a bandit, so he some form as a forecaster. He has some interesting remarks on what should be done from here.

https://fortune.com/2020/04/07/big-...bpm9Y6-qfy9CkgSvRgnu8cTRl7vSl4_4ZV_NCRtVYMkLQ

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

Trump WHO WaPo.jpg

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/04/17/trump-tells-damnable-murderous-lie/

"Everything that the WHO knew, the Trump administration knew — in real time."

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
The reality is, as much as you may like to deny it, just about any possible information about you is already out there in the marketplace. If you have a mobile phone, use social media, post on websites (like this one), use Google, buy from Amazon, there is very little someone can't find out about you. And they don't need a warrant, they just have to pay for it.

I can post a property on facebook, and pay them to send it to people in a certain postcode, aged between 30 and 40, with an income over $80k who are in the market for a house, and that's at the most basic level. Big companies with more money can target people much more accurately. And that's not touching what your phone, online browsing etc can tell about you. Those of you very precious about your privacy would be horrified. Knowing who you've been close to is pretty minor by comparison. Anyway, I will certainly be downloading it. I have a chronic respiratory condition, and will be very pleased to be advised when I have been in contact with COVID-19. I hope it's not one of you guys, because then I won't have that information.

Aurelius

Ted Thorn (20)
So about five days ago I posted on here that there were about 1000 more recoveries in Australia than there were active cases. Based on today's figures as posted by the ABC, that gap has grown to about 1800.

There are about three weeks left until the national cabinet reviews the current baseline restrictions. If the recoveries keep outstripping the new cases, then if it hasn't quite been eradicated by then it will be something that we can manage very easily minus the current extent of restrictions.

Aurelius

Ted Thorn (20)
The reality is, as much as you may like to deny it, just about any possible information about you is already out there in the marketplace. If you have a mobile phone, use social media, post on websites (like this one), use Google, buy from Amazon, there is very little someone can't find out about you. And they don't need a warrant, they just have to pay for it.

That may all be true, but the difference is people voluntarily give up their personal data to these companies, or accept that they'll have to as part of the terms of usage. Governments compelling people to download an app (and yes, I know it's not going to be compulsory yet) so they can keep track of our movements like we're school boarders is something else.

I wish you luck with your situation but I can't say I hate the idea that people are going to take their freedoms less for granted after this.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Governments compelling people to download an app (and yes, I know it's not going to be compulsory yet) so they can keep track of our movements like we're school boarders is something else.

Have you actually read what the functionality of the app is?
Or are you just a conspiracy theorist objecting in principle?

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
Barnaby Joyce says he will not download the app.

Would be interested to know his logic, Barnaby it’s not like your wife (first) is going to have access to the information.