• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

COVID-19 Stuff Here

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I will definitely be downloading the app, people lives and livelihoods are a lot more important than some sort of pseudo privacy. The idea that this will give anyone more information on you than Google, Facebook, Amazon, Apple et al have already have is misguided.
Besides which, I don't deal drugs, I'm not a Russian spy and there's no 25 year old blonde that wants to have a covert affair with me, so there's not a whole lot to hide! ;)
While you voluntarily give consent to give your private data to those companies - it's largely for commercial purposes which aren't very scary. Targeted ads etc. They don't give a fuck what you do and only try to modify your behavior to buy certain products.

State authoritarianism is scary and it can come on very suddenly.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
at least this invasion of privacy will hopefully result in me being let out of my house arrest sooner than if we keep muddling through as we are

Just buy a burner phone and carry both it and your other phone with you, or install it on your work phone and go nuts.

I did chuckle at Apple releasing their new iPhone SE for $749 and the Government stimulus one off payments comes in at $750. #bigbrainstuff

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
The obvious hack is to just not carry your phone, which is definitely a healthy improvement for most people!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I will definitely be downloading the app, people lives and livelihoods are a lot more important than some sort of pseudo privacy. The idea that this will give anyone more information on you than Google, Facebook, Amazon, Apple et al have already have is misguided.
Besides which, I don't deal drugs, I'm not a Russian spy and there's no 25 year old blonde that wants to have a covert affair with me, so there's not a whole lot to hide! ;)

Any other party wanting that information from Google or Facebook etc. needs to get a warrant.

That's the big difference.

Aurelius

Ted Thorn (20)
What do they do, exactly? If it's about monitoring and early warnings they seem to have failed pretty drastically.

Not saying i agree with the de-funding, but if they failed as badly as it seems primarily because China told them to stay silent there probably needed to be some kind of reprimand.

If the WHO had simply failed to provide accurate information then that would be bad enough. But they actively discouraged other countries from enacting travel bans from China, implied that Chinese travel bans might be motivated by racist sentiments and refused to even acknowledge Taiwan's efforts in fighting the coronavirus (which they seem to have done better than anyone else in the world).

Even now they're prepared to endorse China's decision to re-open their wet markets, which the Chinese government itself said was the source of a pandemic which has killed over 100,000 people.

Whatever mistakes Donald Trump has made, I don't blame him one bit for de-funding them. Why should America pay one cent to an NGO that acts as a propaganda arm for their geopolitical enemies, with 20000+ dead Americans as a result?

Aurelius

Ted Thorn (20)
I'm with Derpus on this, Trump has his own political motivations to call out the WHO but that doesn't mean they didn't fail drastically. I see now Borris is under pressure to also pull funding.

While we're on the topic of what Boris should do - give Huawei the flick.

They had the contract for the Transperth network a month ago. Not any more.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ polling suggests the former with one published on Monday finding 66% of us were willing to see Level 4 lockdown extended if it meant not having to go back there later. As it stands Level 3 (which more closely resembles where you're at) will likely be announced Monday & take effect as early as Thursday.

The usual media suspects are trying to sell their overreaction snake oil but hardly anyone's buying it. To quote our First Bloke:

"Spare a thought today for anyone suffering a form of cognitive dissonance causing dismay that the ambulance at the bottom of the cliff is empty because the fence at the top is working."

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/ente...n-writers-suffering-cognitive-dissonance.html

EDIT: this, I think, is more or less the consensus:

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-...rus-pandemic-we-saved-thousands-of-lives.html

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
anyone else descending into full blown alcoholism due to having nothing else to do?
Fully blown?
mad-max-lead.jpg

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Or any other politician for that matter. I just don't trust their motives and working in IT security as part of my profession I doubt they can secure it properly anyway.

So as an IT professional I value your opinion.
Are they not just tracking movements for a finite period of time? Why is that such a concern? My movements are pretty bloody boring. They’re welcome to them. And if I get an early notification that I’ve been close to a positive person for a prolonged period then I might just save a family member or vulnerable person from catching it from me in the asymptomatic period.
If I want to go somewhere I shouldn’t I can leave my phone at home. Or delete the app.
What am I missing?

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I think it really depends on the level of anonymisation the data undergoes and who gets access to it. Is the data encrypted properly in transit and at rest? What other systems is it fed into? How long are they keeping it? etc...

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
In today’s Tech Clinic our tech correspondent Rhiannon Williams shares how to keep your keyboard clean. Which tech tip would you like to receive next? Let us know at newsletter@inews.co.uk.
rwg3iJkO7aIuZqnkC_po96XIk8vGRaqkRe2NuIY7qOS86-6W45aNvKGclhKzUUyDZMPxCiWhsbfoyRv5s2l9NmfawQp1_H3dUDJztvKKBoPQKKY8Xvs-EmSR9A=s0-d-e1-ft
While everyone is (hopefully) wiping down their phones on a regular basis, cleaning your computer keyboard is also an important way to keep things hygienic and minimise the chance of transferring germs.

If you're using a relatively modern laptop with shallow keys, wiping down the keys with a disinfectant cleaning wipe that doesn't contain bleach, followed by a slightly dampened lint-free cloth should be sufficient.
Cleaning a desktop keyboard or slighty deeper keys can involve trying to free dust, crumbs and other detritus trapped inside the main body, so disconnecting and turning it upside down over a bin and giving it a shake is a good place to start. Handheld vacuum cleaners and cans of compressed air can be useful for dislodging particular stubborn dust, as can cotton buds for swabbing at spills or sticky patches.
Once you're confident the keyboard dust-free, apply a small amount of rubbing alcohol to a lint-free cloth and wipe it gently over the keys in small sections. If you're feeling really thorough, you can remove each individual key (if your keyboard allows it) for a good wipe and leave it to dry for a few minutes before reattaching.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Lawsuit against Carnival Cruises re: Ruby Princess alleges there were infected people on the 24 Feb - 8 March cruise as well as the 8 - 19 March one & NSW Police are asking passengers from the earlier cruise to also complete an online survey that includes questions related to health practices and any other information gleaned while on board.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/austr...s-running-rampant-on-ruby-princess-court-told

I'm a little surprised NSW Health aren't being sued as well for negligence in letting the passengers off the second cruise without adequate screening & quarantine.