• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Crusaders v Reds, Round 11, 6 May 2016, AMI Stadium, Christchurch

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Just so I am clear on the rules:

You do not actually have to have control of the ball when scoring a try - you just need to be in contact with it AND not play for Queensland. Is that correct?

CFS was in contact judging by that replay

I think the issue might have been it left one of his hands and went sort of under the other on the way down with maybe some "clear air" between them. But yeah, have seen other tries given not really dissimilar. My main issue is how CFS managed to drop the bloody thing though.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Confirmation No 36 of three knowns:

- the Graham era was not 'bad', it was catastrophic, one the greatest periods of unforced self-destructiveness ever in the history of QLD rugby

- his 'co-coach' successors will continue the uber-disaster if one is reappointed as Reds HC, they're not good enough

- the Reds need a HC of Dave Rennie-like calibre if they're to ever recover as Finals contenders, or even get close

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I think the issue might have been it left one of his hands and went sort of under the other on the way down with maybe some "clear air" between them. But yeah, have seen other tries given not really dissimilar. My main issue is how CFS managed to drop the bloody thing though.
I think there was as much air between his hands and the ball as there was when the crusader scored.

But I'm not really upset though - seen worse decisions and try or no try it was a well executed move. Junior's last pass was a ripper.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I think there was as much air between his hands and the ball as there was when the crusader scored.

But I'm not really upset though - seen worse decisions and try or no try it was a well executed move. Junior's last pass was a ripper.

Agree. A very nice move. CFS should be able to fall on top the ball from where he was - it looked like the ball loosened when he went to score and stuck his arm down to brace his "fall". Bit odd really.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
was that a winger that Taufua, a flanker, sold a dummy to and skinned on his outside for a try in the corner?

If so, winger should be docked match pay for that.

All of it.

re:commentators, yes them querying about Read when it was obviously him that offended was very odd but they still made game way more enjoyable than if, say, the cantabs favourite cheerleader tool & anti-Blues wanker Tony Johnstone was calling it. Screaming his nuts off for his boys as his diamond-hard little drill bit bore straight through to fuckin China and back.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Anyhoo, pretty sure we've overtaken the Tribe at Top of the Table, if only by Points Differential: both on 37 points, both won 8, CruSadists PD +130ish, Tibe +120ish? Now just need the Clan to do the right things, being (a) beat the Tribe tomorrow then (b) lose to the CruSadists next week........

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
was that a winger that Taufua, a flanker, sold a dummy to and skinned on his outside for a try in the corner?

If so, winger should be docked match pay for that.

All of it.

re:commentators, yes them querying about Read when it was obviously him that offended was very odd but they still made game way more enjoyable than if, say, the cantabs favourite cheerleader tool & anti-Blues wanker Tony Johnstone was calling it. Screaming his nuts off for his boys as his diamond-hard little drill bit bore straight through to fuckin China and back.

The fapping levels were high enough - if you added TJ they would have been jizz-tacular.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Was Ian Smith waddling around the sidelines? He always loves a good circle jerk.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Yeah I thought Mertz was pretty good tonight. He had a good mix of insight and wit.

Sumo has gone backwards in my estimation.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Man that was dire from our boys but fuck, the Crusaders are easy to hate. So bloody cynical it drives me up the wall. They play stunning rugby when they have the ball but when they don't, instead of just backing their clearly excellent defence, they wander around aimlessly on our side of the ruck, they trip and fall on the ball. I could go on but I doubt I need to. Everyone knows they do it, it's just got me fucked how they get away with it.
It's clearly deliberate because they were infringing constantly inside their red zone for the first 25 mins until the red said, no more. Then on come thier halos and they just get on with playing actual rugby. /rant

Swandive

Allen Oxlade (6)
Not surprised by the result at all but I can see a few positives along with all the negatives.
Negative Observations:
The Reds had a poor first half considering all the possession and territory they had. We all know the Cru have great defense. You can run at them all day and they'll tackle you all day. I don't know why the Reds didn't put the defense in two minds with chip kicks or grubbers. A. Finger tried it once in the first half and it almost came off. The second half was much better as I felt they mixed it up more. As soon as McIntyre put through a chip they scored.

Why does Sautia always play so "soft"? Can't the coaches get more out of a guy of his size and skill? He must be one of the 'softest' wingers in the comp.

They will dearly miss Gill and Holmes next year. The reserve props still need a lot of work. (I know Holmes is not a prop!)

McIntyre hasn't changed his style all season despite it being bleedin' obvious that he is just a 'disher' and his first reaction is to turn towards the touchline - that's why his kick went directly across field (and I'm sure he did not mean that). How come the coaches can't fix this or at least look at different options. he stands way too deep. Mo'unga is also new to Super Rugby but is miles ahead (and kicks beautifully).

Nabuli was terrible on the flanker's try and then immediately gave a penalty away from the kickoff for a tackle in the air. Two silly mistakes in quick succession.

Positives:
Ref was pretty good (apart from penalizing A. Fainga'a for a high tackle which wasn't really and then missing one moments later which was much worse on the same guy)

Ready is a beast and has a bright future.

Magnay was a little overawed but shows a lot of promise I hope they let him go back to the U20's against NZ.

On one of his first touches Gunn went straight through the defensive line, something his bigger team mates couldn't do all day. Haven't seen much of him so hard to judge his potential.

Frisby was very good. Starting to run more (though he was probably to blame for the try that some were blaming Magnay for). I like what I see from him.

Tuttle gave quick ball and oozes confidence. He has a very bright future.

Greene made too many mistakes kicking-wise but I think he is trying to do too much in a short space of time due to lack of game time. He certainly looks more confident than McIntrye.

The Cru are killing it at the moment and I fully expect to see them in the Grand Final.....so it is not all doom and gloom for the Reds. A little bit of tweaking here and there. What to do with the standoff position is the biggest challenge they have. There are some bright futures there so I hope they have some big experienced names coming/coming back as Gill and Holmes will be massive, humongous losses.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well I personally thought the Reds looked like they had come the full circle for the season, and after one or 2 mediocre performances were back to looking fairly clueless. I not sure who is going to turn them around, there certainly needs to be some smart recruiting of players and coach. I certainly think the players are giving it everything, there are just too many average players in the team.
For Crusaders my MOTM had to be Scott Barrett, that kid is everything I want in a lock (reminds me a little of Brad Thorn), ahead of probably Tafua and maybe Dagg, and it funny Scoey mentioning where he thought Saders players were wandering around offside at rucks etc, because I thought reds were top at it last night, was laughing a few times at how Gill was wandering past the Saders 9 as he came back around breakdowns.
And as for people not understanding that you don't have to control the ball when scoring a try, just not knock it on etc, by gee fellas if you don't understand the laws of the game that much, don't tell us all, or everytime you have a moan at the ref, we know it is because you have no idea!!! If a ball is lying on the ground anyone can dive on it, and it always has been a try, you don't have to control the bloody thing!!

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Of course all teams do it Dan but none seem to do it to the extent or as systematically as the Saders do mate. They wrote the text book on wandering around aimlessly and taking the space.

As for the try laws, it's not a question on whether or not it's a try, there was just no real difference between the Saders try and the Reds non try.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
This is the Macilai try:

image.jpeg

Hand in contact with ball + ball in contact with ground = try.

Can't find anything on the EDIT: CFS no-try but IIRC he's got it in one arm as he nears the line, then loses it & grounds it with his other arm. Physics suggests that in the meantime it's gone forward. Happy to eat my words if anyone can show where that's not what happened.

@Dan, you beat me to it: was gonna comment on LFG's habit of arriving at rucks from the side & at least level with if not IFO the ball (his sensational 1st half steal excerpted, of course). The GOAT himself couldn't have done it better :).

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
As for the try laws, it's not a question on whether or not it's a try, there was just no real difference between the Saders try and the Reds non try. )

Thought there was quite a difference Scoey, in the Reds one the ball looked like it hit the ground with no hand touching it, hence the knock on, where as the Saders one his finger was still touching ball as it went down. Don't get me wrong mate, I think Reds were unlucky in that one, but there was separation unfortunately. I think generally when watching games we tend to hear and get influenced by the commentators too much, which adds to the confusion.
WOB, I actually didn't think Gill played one of his better games last night, may of been because whole team was so far off pace, but definitely didn't think he looked like the International 7 that a lot of people say he is, mind you I have always thought he a bloody good super player that probably lacks just something to really make it up a grade .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom