• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Dewar Shield 2017 & other Vic comps

Status
Not open for further replies.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Box Hill are the team on the move - started the year with 3 losses, and 2 of them very close losses to Quins and Unicorns, they have now won 5 straight and in most part won them all very comfortably. Watch out for the Broncos.

Very sad re Souths state - it was only in 2010 they were playing in the Dewar Shield Grand Final. Think they have to go back to Division 2 next year and rebuild and hopefully come back as a strong club once again.

Agree with everything you've said. Box Hill's new coaching staff are clearly doing a good job and South's situation is a sad one, but I'd love to see a stronger 2nd Div with them, and ideally Northern/Wydnham rounding out numbers.

I think Moorabbin are ones to watch too, few wins but they've all come against top of the table teams. And, their coach is a good one who can grow a team deep into the season.

Even Footscray and Endeavor could fire shots in the second half of the season. 3rd-8th (at least) is anyone's this year.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
It's a very close comp this year, I can't recall another year that has been this close across all 3 grades.

I think it's as simple as Quins being weaker (though not substantially), Box Hill/Moorabbin/Power House/Endeavor being roughly the same standard, and Footscray/University improving substantially.

OneOrThree

Herbert Moran (7)
A little birdy told me recently that Souths asked to be dropped to Div 2 this year, but the VRU said no. This is a real shame. Why not make the P1-3 8 teams and have breaks for the Rebels vs. Lions game and the Test match. The season would just be as long calendar wise, and none of the ridiculous Friday night shenanigans we saw in April. I haven't heard anything yet but I assume they are going to have to repeat the scheduling of Round 6 for Round 11.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
A little birdy told me recently that Souths asked to be dropped to Div 2 this year, but the VRU said no. This is a real shame. Why not make the P1-3 8 teams and have breaks for the Rebels vs. Lions game and the Test match. The season would just be as long calendar wise, and none of the ridiculous Friday night shenanigans we saw in April. I haven't heard anything yet but I assume they are going to have to repeat the scheduling of Round 6 for Round 11.

Based on chatter I've heard and seen around the place, I'd be very surprised if this were the case. Everyone involved knows once you go down to D2, moving back up is incredibly difficult.

I hope they don't go the way of Kiwi-Hawthorn and die for the year.

OneOrThree

Herbert Moran (7)
Fair call and I agree, demotion is difficult to overcome. Its a 5 year turn around at least. I reckon they'll get a P1 up for the remaining games but thats about it. A damn shame for the comp. Who are their allocated Rebels for 2017? Can they assist during the Test rugby break? I know that would exclude Sione while his on U20 duties.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Fair call and I agree, demotion is difficult to overcome. Its a 5 year turn around at least. I reckon they'll get a P1 up for the remaining games but thats about it. A damn shame for the comp. Who are their allocated Rebels for 2017? Can they assist during the Test rugby break? I know that would exclude Sione while his on U20 duties.

Sione & Weekes at least.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member

Laurie Weeks – Southern Districts
Mitch Inman – Southern Districts
Dom Day – Southern Districts
Sione Tuipulotu – Southern Districts

From: https://melbournerebels.com/2017/03/15/rebels-recommit-to-local-rugby/

OneOrThree

Herbert Moran (7)
Do any clubs get their Rebels during the test break or are they not allowed to play due to contractual obligations?

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Do any clubs get their Rebels during the test break or are they not allowed to play due to contractual obligations?

I think it's dependant on the player. I heard they have been given the week off after the Brumbies match. After that, I'm not sure.

Axemen

Allen Oxlade (6)
I think it's dependant on the player. I heard they have been given the week off after the Brumbies match. After that, I'm not sure.
Usually there is a compulsory holiday period that comes under the RUPA agreement with the ARU - so they aren't permitted to play for some part of the period.

Axemen

Allen Oxlade (6)
It's a very close comp this year, I can't recall another year that has been this close across all 3 grades.

I agree - across all three grades and Colts the competition is the tight. Top 4 in 2nd Grade are pulling away a bit - but few blowout scores across all Grades (excl Souths). There doesn't seem to be as much of players backing for 2 games in a day either. Looks like End Hills have placed 3rd Grade as a priority over 2nd Grade, we will start to see more of this once clubs start to focus on Grades they think can go all the way.
2nd Division seems far more competitive across the competition - I see Kiwi's lost a 2nd game, this time to Bendigo with only Eltham undefeated, and Geelong look strong also. Maroondah and Ballarat look to be struggling.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
maybe im being overly skeptical, but surely Souths would be pleased to 'only' lose 28-0

I really do think them failing to field a team would partly be due to midseason blues and partly due to the boys not wanting a spanking by Quins.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
Some games tonight and a few tomorrow morning.

Souths have forfeited all 3 grades once again.

Tonight
Endeavour Hills v Melbourne P1 - 20:15
Endeavour Hills v Melbourne P2 - 18:45

Harlequin v Footscray P1 - 20:15
Harlequin v Footscray P2 - 18:45

Tomorrow

Endeavour Hills v Melbourne P3 - 10:00
Harlequin v Footscray P3 - 10:00

Melbourne Uni v Box Hill
P3 - 9:00
P2 - 10:00
P1 - 11:30

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
Endeavour Hills 15 v Melbourne 31
Harlequins 48 v Footscray 19
Melbourne Uni 26 v Box Hill 77
Moorabbin 28 v Souths 0 (forfeit)
Power House v Bye

19105484_10158730447525262_5801641113803332092_n.jpg

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
Round 12 17 June
Power House v Harlequins
Souths v Endeavour Hills
Footscray v Moorabbin
Melbourne v Melbourne Uni
Bye v Box Hill

At the moment Souths are only playing 1st grade, but who knows if that will change by the end of the day. If anything Endeavour need to play them and try to get up over 80-100 points scored to help their PD come the end of the year. I don't think they will make finals but they might be able to catch Footscray or PH if they get some results going their way.

I think Moorabbin might be able to make the 4, but BH are looking dangerous at the moment, won 5 or 6 on the bounce now and scoring a lot of points each week. Quins and Melbourne are once again playing good, structured rugby and will obviously be there at the end of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.