• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Election 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
The only problem is that the GbE would only give you that level of bandwidth inside Australia. Once the traffic leaves our shores it will be aggregated into a smaller pipe and the performance will actually be worse. If you have people with an end-point connection of 1 gigabit being concentrated into a core network that can't accommodate at least a substantial portion of their theoretical aggregate consumption, then we are no better off.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
The only problem is that the GbE would only give you that level of bandwidth inside Australia. Once the traffic leaves our shores it will be aggregated into a smaller pipe and the performance will actually be worse. If you have people with an end-point connection of 1 gigabit being concentrated into a core network that can't accommodate at least a substantial portion of their theoretical aggregate consumption, then we are no better off.

Correct. Once a user is downloading heavy data quanta fm non-Aus sources with multi-hops, this is a key fact of the matter of 'real' vs 'theoretical' speeds as realised here in Oz land. I have high speed cable measured at about 15 mbps down and the difference in, say, receiving wsj.com vs say abc.net.au is palpable and the former has massive output capacity.

I was so amused to see this week that Gillard and Conroy where justifying the whole $40bn partly on the glories of video conferencing. Well, we all know that's possible right now with a reasonable ADSL 2+ connection at each end.

I have not seen one single, serious, well-considered end user application(s) for this $40bn that can properly justify this massive expenditure (vs other uses such as universities for the informatics and information economy skills development we absolutely need as a nation) on nation-building grounds. Then we add in the fact that the whole technology base may be made redundant by wireless innovations coming in the 2014-16 period.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Yep, the missing piece in the governments plan appears to be a recognition that wireless technology innovation is taking off at a very rapid pace and that the amount of competition in the market in OZ is actually pretty good. The private sector will most likely solve a lot of this.

What I am in favour of, however, is investment being put into better comms in the bush. Perhaps we should focus on that and outer suburban areas of our growing cities, which are under-served right now. That's money that I could live with being spent.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
The missing piece is a goddamn business plan! I mean, how can they be so reckless.

If these guys were running an organisation they would all have been fired by now.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
For G&GR with 62% of our traffic coming from Australia it would be awesome to host locally. Though I don't agree that a 43bn NBN is the best way to do this. If we want broadband to improve in this country then the priority is to improve bandwidth to the US.

If hosting in this country was competitive, many websites that Australians visit (including G&GR) would be hosted in Australia. As such, latency would decrease and the Internet would be much quicker for "local" content.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
One week until D-Day and the polls have Labour winning. The Libs are apparently preparing an onslaught of campaign ads for the electronic press before the deadline for no electronic ads cuts in on Wednesday night.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I think Labor will get up, but I'm not sure by how much. The wild card will be how much anti-ALP feeling there is in NSW and QLD. If they lose a few seats there it could get a bit interesting. On the other hand, they are apparently polling well in VIC and SA.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Labor will have a big swing against them, but will get in by the skin of their teeth, and by Green protest votes coming back as preferences.

C

chief

Labor is going to win simply by 3 or 4 seats. It's going to be tight. You really have to applaud the inroads Tony Abbott has done. Last year he was one of the most popular PM's going around. Abbott to really close the gap is something phenomenal. I can't see Tony Abbott seeing out the whole term as Opposition Leader, as Work Choices will come back to haunt him.

I think Gillard should do a pretty good job as PM, hopefully she doesn't backtrack on things like Rudd did. Hopefully no more mismanaging on funds too. I also hope Kevin Rudd isn't chosen as a Cabinet Minister too, this election has had some aspects of a soap opera and I really don't want this to continue during Gillard's first term.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Labor is going to win simply by 3 or 4 seats. It's going to be tight. You really have to applaud the inroads Tony Abbott has done. Last year he was one of the most popular PM's going around. Abbott to really close the gap is something phenomenal. I can't see Tony Abbott seeing out the whole term as Opposition Leader, as Work Choices will come back to haunt him.

I think Abbott's future depends heavily on the competence of Julia. If she can run a steady ship for a few years then Tony will be in trouble, as he feels the need to get more and more radical when the opposition aren't making inroads. So we will see more extravagent statements and policies, which will eventually be his undoing. Then Turnbull comes in, wins the election, and the 4 after that.

However if Julia keeps fucking things up and giving Abbott more ammunition, then he could be there for a while.

C

chief

For me I'd love to see Costello or Turnbull back to the Liberal leadership. Costello is a fantastic politician, who also made it a very entertaining business. Had he simply challenged Howard in 06, I think things would be a lot different right now.

If Gillard loses, I can't see her party allowing a full term. Would like to see Anthony Albanese or even Nicola Roxon taking the leadership. I hope Wayne Swan is nowhere near it as well. Surely Simon Crean won't get another crack.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I think if Gillard wins and does an OK job Turnbull will be the leader at the next election and may even nick it for the Libs. I'd be fairly happy with that, as I've previously stated my affinity with him as a politician (if not always with his party).

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
For me I'd love to see Costello or Turnbull back to the Liberal leadership. Costello is a fantastic politician, who also made it a very entertaining business. Had he simply challenged Howard in 06, I think things would be a lot different right now.

If Gillard loses, I can't see her party allowing a full term. Would like to see Anthony Albanese or even Nicola Roxon taking the leadership. I hope Wayne Swan is nowhere near it as well. Surely Simon Crean won't get another crack.

Costello has left parliament, you wont ever see him again. And I hope you were joking about Anthony Albanese. He is a party hack of the lowest order. If Gillard does go down she will stay, citing insufficient time in office. The real reason is Labor have no legitimate candidates on their benches at the moment, although if anyone was to challenge I wouldn't be surprised if it was Bill Shorten.

C

chief

Costello has left parliament, you wont ever see him again. And I hope you were joking about Anthony Albanese. He is a party hack of the lowest order. If Gillard does go down she will stay, citing insufficient time in office. The real reason is Labor have no legitimate candidates on their benches at the moment, although if anyone was to challenge I wouldn't be surprised if it was Bill Shorten.

Fully aware Costello has left Parliament. It's sad he has. Shorten looks the goods, he was a senior figure in having Rudd docked though, it will be interesting to see if he lands a Cabinet position if Gillard wins (which he should). Albanese isn't all too bad.

Today seemed to be the day all the Sunday Newspaper's did an editorial on who they wanted or should I say "deserved" to win. Courier Mail of course they favoured a Coalition lead Government. What did the Sydney Newspapers say?

AND, did anyone watch that Mark Latham segment on 60 minutes. He's completely lost it, although I do think he had a few good points.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Mark Latham is an idiot. Thank Christ he was never anywhere near the Lodge. His articles for the AFR in the last year have been fairly good reading, but the bloke is a "look at me" drama queen. He's also a bully who doesn't like people standing up to him.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Mark Latham is an idiot. Thank Christ he was never anywhere near the Lodge. His articles for the AFR in the last year have been fairly good reading, but the bloke is a "look at me" drama queen. He's also a bully who doesn't like people standing up to him.
Nicely positioning himself for a return to the labor leadership in 3 weeks...

Scotty

David Codey (61)
There is no benefit to taxpayers or the Australian economy from spending $43 billion or more on something that turns out to have a commercial value of a fraction of that when it is finished and sold. Risks like this are better born by the private sector – so shareholders, not Australian taxpayers, lose out if the plan goes off the rails.

In the end the NBN reflects Labor’s cargo cult mentality. Rudd/Gillard Labor thinks you can fix schools by putting computers in classrooms, you can fix climate change by putting pink batts in roofs, and you can fix telecommunications by building huge pipes.

Clever governments understand that you fix problems by empowering initiative and enterprise: by policy and regulatory settings that steer, not row. Labor thinks it can row, but it invariably sinks the boat.

The Coalition’s broadband alternative is less risky and less costly. Lofty talk about vision and imagination is all very well. But Australians deserve policies that are practical, deliverable and affordable too – and nowhere is this more the case than for broadband.

Malcolm, we miss you.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I think if Gillard loses then someone like greg combet might get the job. I think he deserves it aswell.

Status
Not open for further replies.