• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Elsom: In or Out?

Is Rocky your 6 vs the Boks

• Yes, incumbent and captain. Nuff said.

Votes: 20 20.2%
  • Yes, to test him pre RWC. Last chance.

Votes: 15 15.2%
  • Not 6, but starting from the bench.

Votes: 30 30.3%
  • If he can't play another 80 minutes, no dice.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Deport him to Leinster via Christmas Island

Votes: 9 9.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
Rocky may have completed his Super season in 80 limping minutes for the Brumbies, according to Wayne Smith in the Australian:

WALLABIES captain Rocky Elsom may have played his last game for the Brumbies after sustaining a high ankle syndesmosis

So..... Assuming he doesn't get back on the park in super rugby, but can prove fitness.....

Is he in your wallaby lineup July 23, Sydney, vs the Springboks?

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Bring him back via the bench. We need to look at alternatives in case his fitness and form don't come back.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Let's all remember that, only very recently, both JO'N and RD have come out with unequivocal support for RE as both immediate player in the Wallabies, and as their Captain for 2011. Extraordinary, given his (then) zero game time this year, and uncertain physical robustness after such a long hamstring rehab.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'll wait and see if/how long he's out for...

If he's fine or it's just a week off then he'll still get a few games to test himself...

Otherwise we need a short term alternative while Rocky gets his fitness back...

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I thought he showed enough against the Force to make me believe he will be good enough for the Wallabies with a couple more starts under his belt. Whether he gets those starts is another thing entirely.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Yeah he showed he is still quality, even first game back. But i don't think he should be given the first starting opportunity

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
When he is in form he is one of the best blindside flankers out there. For that reason I want him in the team. We should be playing him off the bench for the 3N too allow some of the other contenders to have a run as well (Higgenbotham and Wykes are my choices) then see what happens in the RWC.

Its the same deal for AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper). We know he has class, even if he is not in form at the moment. I think he will be a very different player once he gets away from the Brumby setup and works under RD for a few weeks. He should be our starting 13 in the 3N.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
I think he HAS to be given the first start - subject to him being fit to play, he needs to get up to speed as soon as possible and he wont do that from the bench

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Let's all remember that, only very recently, both JO'N and RD have come out with unequivocal support for RE as both immediate player in the Wallabies, and as their Captain for 2011. Extraordinary, given his (then) zero game time this year, and uncertain physical robustness after such a long hamstring rehab.

Yeah, but what else should they have said when asked that question?

If he has ongoing problems then they can change their mind and point to his fitness concerns.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
I suspect Rocky would have been back earlier if his position in the Wobbs was at risk. Nevertheless, he wouldn't be an automatic selection for me and I think others have out up some impressive form (Hodgon, Higgen Bottom, Mowen & Dennis). If fit, Horwill would also be a shot at the captaincy anyway.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I saw an interview years ago with B Dwyer and he said then it was a mistake to take injured players to the RWC. He was of course speaking about the 1995 RWC. The story is the same now and is valid for more players than Elsom. Elsom in particular though as there are worthy options to him that in the opinion of many are just as good as Elsom has been since his return from Euroland.

Ali's Choice

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Robbie Deans is trying to build a long lasting culture within the Wallabies. And having followed him closely for years during his involvement at the Crusaders, IMO he will give his captain the chance to prove his worth during the 3N if he is fit. Robbie Deans is a loyal coach. Sure, he is prepared to drop established players like Andrew Merthens for Dan Carter, and Reuben Thorne for younger players. But he is loyal to his players until it is clear that they are no longer deserving of selection. At this stage Elsom is still the Wallabies captain, and no other players have made a compelling case that the Wallaby no.6 jersey must be theirs. Given these factors, I fully expect for Elsom to be retained as captain, and if fit given first shot at blindside flanker during the 3N.

Status
Not open for further replies.