• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

English Away Jersey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebel rouser

Ted Fahey (11)
After all the hoohaa, England have shown the world their new black jersey.

As a Wallabies fan, I was a bit meh about the announcement last week. Assumed it would look like the strip they played against Aus with last year, which had a big red stripe on it, at least making it identifiable.

As it turns out, it really is just pitch black. In fact, it basically looks like last seasons All Black jersey (i.e. good, because it doesn't have the faggy new white collar).

So my final opinion is, I didn't think I could have any less respect for England than I did this time last week, but once again they have proved me wrong. That's some talent you poms have.

england-rugby-kits-682449344.jpg

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Ugh I'm sorry All Blacks, England has replaced you as my most hated side.

I just find this as a stupid PR stunt, which has unfourtunatley worked!

Actually, I take that back, England was already my most hated.

A

antipodean

That looks awesome. Hope it makes them play better and sells heaps for Nike. They deserve it.

Larno

Ward Prentice (10)
I can't say I'm a fan. The detailing is too busy. And yes England we are aware you won the tournament in 2003 ffs.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
another beat up, the English are complaining about the All blacks copying their jersey

2460med.jpg

T

TOCC

another beat up, the English are complaining about the All blacks copying their jersey

2460med.jpg

apples and oranges..
the color white in terms of uniforms is hardly restricted to England .. on the other hand the black jersey is pretty synonymous to New Zealand..

Bon

Ward Prentice (10)
Yes New Zealand have used a white jersey as an away strip,however they wore black shorts with it. [Fiji colours.] The poms strip is black jersey and shorts, All Black. Ask yourself how you would have felt if they had turned up for the WC in Australia with an alternative strip of green and gold. There are proud traditions associated with the wearing of a countries colours, not only in New Zealand but probably most rugby nations. To wear the National colours is what players dream of and strive to achieve.
A marketing stunt it may well be,but I doubt the poms have endeared themselves to the NZ public. Not that they have much respect here,and are the favourite country to beat at rugby,which we mostly seem to do.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think its pretty poor form from the Poms, but isn't this all a storm in a teacup? Won't the poms only weat their away jersey when playing against fiji? Who else would their home jersey clash with?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Yes New Zealand have used a white jersey as an away strip,however they wore black shorts with it. [Fiji colours.] The poms strip is black jersey and shorts, All Black. Ask yourself how you would have felt if they had turned up for the WC in Australia with an alternative strip of green and gold. There are proud traditions associated with the wearing of a countries colours, not only in New Zealand but probably most rugby nations. To wear the National colours is what players dream of and strive to achieve.
A marketing stunt it may well be,but I doubt the poms have endeared themselves to the NZ public. Not that they have much respect here,and are the favourite country to beat at rugby,which we mostly seem to do.

I would laugh and think it is the ultimate flattery, but I don't think a jersey has magical powers and that colours can be owned, a jersey is a jersey is a jersey.

A

Alex-A

If any other country on the planet did this, I wouldn't give a sh*t.... Something about England.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
I think its pretty poor form from the Poms, but isn't this all a storm in a teacup? Won't the poms only weat their away jersey when playing against fiji? Who else would their home jersey clash with?

1st game vs Argentina.

I think this is pretty funny. It's charcoal not black, but why would you do something to piss off the All Blacks? Lulling them into a false sense of security has worked 5 times in a row. Why change now?

T

Toby Lerone

It's all a marketing exercise, and that really annoys me about the England team.

The "Anthracite"/Grey kit that England used vs the Wallabies in the Autumn would have been fine for the World Cup, and ditching that kit after just one use is ridiculous. I'm just glad I didn't pay £45 for it in the Autumn, especially if it's never going to be used again.

Apostle

Peter Burge (5)
I was just speaking to a mate in the UK, and he said that the press coverage and fan response to the jersey has been overwhelmingly negative as well. Don't think they'll be selling many of them. I wonder if the players themselves are going to be a bit embarassed about wearing them in NZ.

Interestingly, the last couple of England away jerseys just happened to match sponsor's colours rather than tradition ones - seems like the RFU is whoring itself out pretty badly if that is the case.

A

antipodean

They shouldn't be embarrassed, it's a very nice touch paying homage to the hosts of the tournament.

Nelse

Chris McKivat (8)
The away jersey looks good, but I can't believe it sits well with the traditionalists that would be right through the ranks of the RFU. I would have expected white side panels at least, or something signifying the traditional English strip other than the English Rose.

And the World Cup 2003 on the sleeve is the same as the Aussies having the World Cup and 91, 99. I think the Saffa's have their 95 and 07 wins on their sleeve as well...

EVERYFWDTHINKTHEYREA6OR7

Syd Malcolm (24)
Provided that England wear their white shorts and white socks with this jersey i don't see a problem.

Surely they could seek an injunction via some sort of IP or copyright type grounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.