• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

English Away Jersey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm pretty sure there's no coin toss, because their jerseys don't clash.

England's PR team have had a major win with this jersey.

It such a major non-issue.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Why don't they wear the tequila sunrise jersey's like the sevens team they were brilliant.

O

OLDDOG

this is what I reckon the poms should wear. that might get in the kiwis headspace.....;)

Attachments

• New All Black Jersey.jpg
    New All Black Jersey.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 181
U

undercoverkiwi

My take on this, is that it’s just plain farkin stupid. The only thing that makes me angry about it, is it’s such a typically English farknuckle thing to do. It’s just farkin stupid. What other nation would have the temerity - or the lack of dignity - to adopt another team’s home colours as their change strip for a RWC, in that country?

It’s not about owning the colour black, or being offended by it. Other teams have worn black before (Wales, Canada), and no probs with that all. Cause those games have not been in New Zealand. Similarly, I doubt many Aussies would care if, say, Scotland decided to wear gold (in fact I think Wales did wear yellow once or twice), but for a tournament in Australia? Australians would be a little WTF about it? Saffers would query New Zealand turning up in dark green and gold for a RWC in SA.

That some English fans have claimed double-standards from those Kiwis that have cracked the shits over it, because NZ’s alternate strip is (2007 excepted) a white jersey, are missing the point by so farkin far it’s not even funny. For a start, New Zealand’s jersey colours were historically black and white. We have only ever worn the white jersey against Scotland, in NZ, or (IIRC) at RWC1995 in SA). We’ve also been doing it for decades, since white is the opposite as black and as mentioned above, has always been NZ’s “second” colour. There’s also a plain simple tendency for teams to opt for a white colour as their alternate. Sports teams all over the world often opt for white as an alternate.

I think a lot of NZ fans have got wound up cause they are foreseeing a 2007-style jersey ambush coin toss switch-a-roo, but that won’t happen cause if we play the twats they’ll be in white and we’ll be in black. But nevertheless, a lot of Kiwis are spewing – epic PR fail by England IMO. I only hope a few of them have got tickets to the England v Arg game in Dunedin, where the black jersey will be worn, and scream the farkin house down in support of Arg. Sadly I expect most the tickets will be bought by Pom fans.

Ian Bell was farkin out, too. Idiot.

Thanks

U

undercoverkiwi

I dunno mate. If nothing else, it was a genius PR move.

If you accept the adage that "there's no such thing as bad publicity", then undoubtedly so.

However it still seems to me that doing something that will knowingly piss off the locals is – at best – rude (typically English?). Some England fans I know are justifying it by saying that it’s allowed in the rules, so what are the precious Kiwi fans getting so worked up about? Which I think sums up the English attitude perfectly. I don’t really understand or agree with why it’s offensive to hold my girlfriend’s hand in Dubai, but I know not to do it, cause I try to get along.

The RFU are banging on how they asked the NZRU about it and the NZRU (rightly) said they have no problem with it. But that misses the point by some margin. The NZRU are only entitled to speak for themselves, and presumably only within what they are legally entitled to say. i.e. the NZRU wouldn’t ever say “No, you can’t do this” because they would know they can’t legally back that up.

As I refer above, it’s a shame that the PR fail won’t come back to bite them because 95% of fans at Otago stadium on the day will be England fans. Although the gags about how Dylan Hartley has finally got to wear a black jersey etc should be good value.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
All well and good, undercoverkiwi, but most countries' second strip has been far from set in stone. As you say, there have been all sorts of variations tried. Th real issue is whether this actually means anything. When will it ever become an issue? If they end up playing, England will be in white, NZ in black. So who cares? It's a non-issue.

U

undercoverkiwi

All well and good, undercoverkiwi, but most countries' second strip has been far from set in stone. As you say, there have been all sorts of variations tried. Th real issue is whether this actually means anything. When will it ever become an issue? If they end up playing, England will be in white, NZ in black. So who cares? It's a non-issue.

When you rationalise it like that, you are right, it’s a non-issue*. And like I say (as hard as this might be to believe given the length I write) it doesn’t bother me at end of the day.

But the fact remains, it’s a fckin pathetic stunt. No-one else would do it. And I believe the majority of Australian rugby fans or other fans would be pretty bemused/pissed off if England turned up in Australia for a rugby, cricket or league match sporting a canary yellow kit. There are some things you just don’t do, out of respect or tradition or just not being a twat.

*how long till England – or should say Nike - release their new black home kit?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
OK buddy, take a deep breath... relax...

It's England's alternate strip...

They only need to wear it for Argentina...

England have gone through various different alternate colours over the past few years...

They can't wear it against the All Blacks because their main jersey is white...

There is nothing to fear... I repeat... there is nothing to fear...

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I couldn't care if England played in black and the ABs played in a pink jersey with yellow polka dots and bright red sleeves....so long as we win....

B

Braveheart.

Speaking of jersey's and the 'old gold' colour of the early 90's.... I was bidding on an era '91 Jersey on ebay... the f*@ker went for $250

T

tblackadder

best wallaby jumber IMO was the old mid 80s addias one - more gold than yellow with the green stripes

they should release a replica

Status
Not open for further replies.