• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

EOYT 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I'd probably look at resting all our big names in the game against Argentina in Argentina on 25 July. - Avoid travel and reduce the chance of injury and have guys fresh for the game against the kiwis on 8 August.

We don't really stand to win much from beating Argentina, nor do we lose much if our second string team goes down in a close loss. The RC title is not really the aim next year, we should just concentrate on the Bledisloe and the WC

D

daz

I'd probably look at resting all our big names in the game against Argentina in Argentina on 25 July. - Avoid travel and reduce the chance of injury and have guys fresh for the game against the kiwis on 8 August.

We don't really stand to win much from beating Argentina, nor do we lose much if our second string team goes down in a close loss. The RC title is not really the aim next year, we should just concentrate on the Bledisloe and the WC

You don't think that is a slap in the face to Argentina and their fans? I understand the logic behind it, but as has been pointed out by others, if we do it, we can't complain when other nations send a second string side to Oz.

The only time it would be ok, in my opinion, is if all the RC nations agree to rest names from the pre-RWC RC.

I know SA and NZ did it when we won the 3N a few years ago, but it does smack of devaluing Test Rugby.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Just believe in picking the best team from all available all the time.

A Test is a Test. Players are playing for their country and the best should be doing that. Anything other is disrespectful to the players themselves but also the supporters who hang in there year after year.

What's happening in League is an absolute disgrace. We deserve to get flogged

T

Train Without a Station

I don't agree with "resting".

If a player has an injury concern that they could play through, however you have adequate cover and a longer recovering time will assist them overcoming an injury then that's prudent.

But resting players for the sake of it is a pointless exercise. David Pocock has been well rested at the start of the last two seasons. How's that worked out for him?

Players get injured. That's life. Wrapping them in cotton wool will only soften them up too much, not keep them battle hardened.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)

A Test is a Test. Players are playing for their country and the best should be doing that. Anything other is disrespectful to the players themselves but also the supporters who hang in there year after year.

Spot on and that's why the 'resting' or 'standing down' of players during last years Lions tour was wrong.
Denying a player the chance to play against the Lions was cruel.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Ordinarily I don't believe in resting players, but if your aim is to win the world cup and you feel some of your players would benefit from being rested, it should be considered.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)

It's the players acknowledgement of the value of a test jumper in that sport.
Everyone on here goes on & on,what a fucking joke Test footy in League is.
Is it a surprise that their players also know it?

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Does anyone else think we may be better served long-term if we rest some of our key players for the EOYT to give them an off season to freshen up with the added bonus of developing some depth and seeing if others are up to test level?

Players who I think should be rested are Slipper, Moore, TPN, Kepu, Hooper, Palu, Genia, Cooper, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Folau, Robinson. I know some of these guys are / haven been injured and have had a 'rest' whilst recovering but my idea would allow them to have an 'off season' to help build their bodies, strengthen and freshen them up in the world cup year.

Players I would look to include would be Toby Smith, Scott Sio and Pek for LHP; Finger, Hanson, plus 1 for hooker; Weekes, Ryan, PAE for THP; Hodgson and Gill / McMahon for openside; Higgers plus one for 8; Phipps, White plus one (Frisby ?) for half; keep the current fly-half rotation (minus Quade); bring in Speight, Morahan, Lucas for wing / fullback.

Is this a worthwhile idea or could it lead to arguments of devaluing test rugby?
Advocating a rotation policy? Don't be absurd! This is Australian Rugby we're talking about, where we play our guys into the ground. They can rest when they're injured.

T

Train Without a Station

Our biggest issue I think is a lot of our best players aren't at their best due to lack of rugby. Look at the players from our top 30 that have missed large chunks of the last 3 seasons:

Quade
Genia
Horwill
Pocock
Moore
TPN
Speight
Alexander
Sio
Palu
McCalman
Higginbotham

Every one of these players would be in our first choice 30. Every one of them hasn't played enough rugby the last 2 years.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Our biggest issue I think is a lot of our best players aren't at their best due to lack of rugby. Look at the players from our top 30 that have missed large chunks of the last 3 seasons:

Quade
Genia
Horwill
Pocock
Moore
TPN
Speight
Alexander
Sio
Palu
McCalman
Higginbotham

Every one of these players would be in our first choice 30. Every one of them hasn't played enough rugby the last 2 years.

Question marks over Alexander. Even in top form he is only average. I think Robinson would have more merit in that list. He hasn't returned to his best since his injury.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I wouldn't like to see many, if any, of the top players rested from the tour, but we should be starting one or two back up players per match to see how they're going and to help bring them up to speed, especially if they are newbies like Godwin. Better to start them in a game or two for the experience rather than just a couple of minutes off the bench at the end of a match.

Anybody else notice that the tour schedule must have been designed to maximise the amount of travel and hence limit the amount of training time available to the team? Although, not as much travel as when a NH side tour here obviously.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
As I said on the most recent podcast, I'd be definitely resting players.

I'd be resting Slipper, Horwill, Simmons, Fardy, Palu, Phipps, and.....wait for it...Hooper.

Hooper is the big one for me. He has had a massive year both on and off field.

He's played massive minutes but as also taken over the captaincy of our two most high profile teams. The burden upon him from a Wallaby perspective would be massive - particularly over this last month.

As such I'd leave him home to refresh and rehabilitate. I don't see him as our captain next year (all things being equal) so don't see the need to push him.

So my touring squad would be (starting XV first)

15 Folau
14 Speight
13 Tevita
12 To'omua (head permitting)
11 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
10 QC (Quade Cooper)
9 Genia
8 Higgers
7 Hodgson
6 McMahon
5 Neville
4 Carter
3 Kepu
2 TPN (is he fit?)
1 Smith

16 Sexton
17 PAO
18 Robinson
19 Skelton
20 Jones
21 White
22 Foley
23 Tomane

Not sure how many others they will take, but hope it would be 30 in RWC mode. Mine would include:

24 Alexander
25 Faulkner
26 Coleman
27 Gill
28 Timani
29 Godwin
30 Stirzaker

And Matt Hodgson would be my Wallaby captain. One of the most respected players/individuals in Oz and an impressive leader.

I reckon that team could take it to any of the opposition teams. The bench probably a little weaker than currently, but only really in the pack with a few rookies.

Waratahs would be happy as a lot staying home for off-season.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

I'd be resting Hooper.

He's played massive minutes but as also taken over the captaincy of our two most high profile teams. The burden upon him from a Wallaby perspective would be massive - particularly over this last month.

The only minutes of Super Rugby and Test Rugby he hasn't played all year have been when he was yellow carded.

That's a lot of time on the field.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)

I'd be resting Slipper, Horwill, Simmons, Fardy, Palu, Phipps, and...wait for it.Hooper.

As such I'd leave him home to refresh and rehabilitate. I don't see him as our captain next year (all things being equal) so don't see the need to push him.

So my touring squad would be (starting XV first)

15 Folau
14 Speight
13 Tevita
12 To'omua (head permitting)
11 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
10 QC (Quade Cooper)
9 Genia
8 Higgers
7 Hodgson
6 McMahon
5 Neville
4 Carter
3 Kepu
2 TPN (is he fit?)
1 Smith

16 Sexton
17 PAO
18 Robinson
19 Skelton
20 Jones
21 White
22 Foley
23 Tomane

Not sure how many others they will take, but hope it would be 30 in RWC mode. Mine would include:

24 Alexander
25 Faulkner
26 Coleman
27 Gill
28 Timani
29 Godwin
30 Stirzaker

And Matt Hodgson would be my Wallaby captain. One of the most respected players/individuals in Oz and an impressive leader.

I reckon that team could take it to any of the opposition teams. The bench probably a little weaker than currently, but only really in the pack with a few rookies.

Waratahs would be happy as a lot staying home for off-season.

Reg

Good points but will not happen in this lifetime

Status
Not open for further replies.