• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

EOYT 2016 - Possibles, probables and general banter

Status
Not open for further replies.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
It might not be expressly written in, but if a player is on big bikkies from the ARU there is the return on investment factor..

A ROI decission is hardly the same as a negotiated contract condition. The first I'm completely OK with (actually would be annoyed if wasnt happening) the second would not be appropriate, and as I said has been denied.

Reactions: mst

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
I think your memory fails you, Scoey.

Folau was near enough the best Australian rugby back from about his first Super Rugby game, in which he scored two tries and handed off a third. Go back and read the reviews on this site. RugbyReg will correct me, but I remember he also won the MOTM points on here.

He was by far the best Australian rugby back by his first international match, four months later, when he scored twice against the Lions.

The only sense in which he was hopelessly out of place was that he was nowhere near where the Lions defenders hoped he would be.

This makes me want to put him back out at 14.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Bullshit if cheika chooses him to play it will be because in training sessions he has proved worth it. The guy is a super star in league and if believes worthy of match time in position less technical than most re: wing with guy who has union background what does it matter.

We are talking about top class athletes and cheika will only start him if can see not the risk and more likely at best bench option.

Do people really think cheika would play him from the bench if not up to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Read your blog on selection of koroibete rugbyreg - yes you have called it correctly I believe about this being professional environment and wallabies professional franchise as biggest money earner which rugby's fortunes unfortunately heavily tied to. Hence yes if his selection is seen as going to help the wallabies fortunes then yes given wallabies are effect a professional franchise this is the right decision cheika made. I have no doubt this is supported by the aru as the decision aligns with cheika' kpi's which is to win matches.

I know it pains you as a traditionalist but in the professional era which is fiercely competing with rival codes (products) and sports fans i would suggest if cheika was not doing that he would not be the right choice as coach. As he is leaving no stone unturned to try and make the wallabies successful is what was my take away from your blog and to be frank to get the wallabies back to the top will take this sort of approach imo.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
If we win because the guy scores three tries, will there still be any criticism?

Generalisation
Not if the bloke scores 3 great individual tries using speed, guile, in and outs, change of pace, breaking tackles blah blah. Bloke would be a champion.
But if he us just on the end of an overlap (for example) him scoring 3 tries means little to me.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Generalisation
Not if the bloke scores 3 great individual tries using speed, guile, in and outs, change of pace, breaking tackles blah blah. Bloke would be a champion.
But if he us just on the end of an overlap (for example) him scoring 3 tries means little to me.

If he is in the right position to be on the end of one overlap and score then even that is an improvement on the current situation.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
If there's ever a year where selecting an NRL player can be excused it's this year. After the season that the Aus Super Rugby teams gave I'd be looking else where for players if I were a selector.

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
As a Rebels supporter I am happy the Wallabies are getting his head back into Rugby for us. I suspect the major reason he is in the squad is to drum up some interest from league supporters towards the spring tour.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
If we win because the guy scores three tries, will there still be any criticism?
Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk[/quote]

It won't change my perception that it's the wrong call.

Wins are meaningless when the participation keeps falling, pathways keep closing as outsiders are drafted in taking away opportunities, options O/S seem to provide better benefits than working hard to get a shot at a Wallabies all the while ex-NRL players get a walk up start and may score a try or two.

IMHO where the game is right now the ROI is a negative no matter how you pitch it.

I am with RugbyReg on this one.

Dalai Ninja

Ward Prentice (10)
Generalisation
Oh, Vienna.

Dalai Ninja

Ward Prentice (10)
Wins are meaningless when the participation keeps falling, pathways keep closing as outsiders are drafted in taking away opportunities, options O/S seem to provide better benefits than working hard to get a shot at a Wallabies all the while ex-NRL players get a walk up start and may score a try or two.

IMHO where the game is right now the ROI is a negative no matter how you pitch it.

I am with RugbyReg on this one.
That's a wee bit hyperbolic, in a year when ten new Wallabies have debuted, none of them from the NRL.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think pretty long bow to draw that Koroibete's selection going to contribute to declining participation rates.

Young kids, and aspiring young Pacific Islander kids will also get inspired to play rugby because of its profile and stars in the game....and Koroibete is a star.

This is an argument neither side is going to probably win but I don't think it is necessarily bad.

If anything I respect Cheika more as he does what he thinks best to improve the wallabies even if it might cause some controversy. And lets face it where rugby was it can't stay the same which is the whole mantra things need to change and challenge the status quo. That includes with the wallabies. We have to do things differently and surely anyone who have read countless threads on here about the state of rugby have seen the general consensus on that.

Rugby has needed a kick up the arse to change its mindset to survive and better adapt in the professional era to what the modern day sports fan wants with increasing choices....and part of that at the moment in rugby does hinge on wallabies being successful given it earns the cash to support new initiatives as well as giving breathing space to implement other changes needed to grow rugby by grassroots initiatives. To be successful it needs to have a bit of that ruthless mindset which Cheika seems to bring.

If traditional rugby supporters get a bit upset by some of the changes driven by rugby being in a highly competitive professional arena.....I am ok with that as we have to accept if rugby is going to be more successful and survive in this country retaining all what we use to do in the past won't cut it and will have to make some compromises that will make some uncomfortable. I think people are kidding themselves if the Koriobete selection will cause damage to rugby as yes causes a bit of controversy but storm in a tea cup as we have blooded ten new wallabies this year and also taking 4 development players on tour.

Status
Not open for further replies.