• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

EOYT 2016 - Possibles, probables and general banter

Status
Not open for further replies.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
So how would that work? Pitch International could pitch it to all potential broadcasters at the outset I suppose, but Pay TV wouldn't be able to bid until after the 12 week period prior to the game has expired to see if any of the FTA broadcasters pick it up?

If an FTA organisation takes up the coverage, I suppose it is then up to them to consider offering to share it with Fox or someone similar, or to keep it exclusively.

If not picked up by FTA, what would stop one of the Pay platforms bidding on an exclusive basis if that is what they want and are able to offer an amount that PI found to their liking? Isn't that what has happened in the case of all the eoyt tests, where BeIN Sports has won the exclusive right to televise the Celtic games after none of the FTA broadcasters wanted it?

In effect, if the Pay platform wins the right after none of the FTA orgs have exercised their prior right, then the anti-siphoning legislation no longer has any effect.

All very complicated. I'd be more content I think if the anti-siphoning legislation just didn't exist in the first place. At least in terms of overseas rugby, the FTA channels have fairly clearly indicated they are not interested, and it would be much simpler all round if the rights could be auctioned to all interested parties at the outset.

I agree with you about the anti-siphoning as it crates situations like this and puts pay TV at a disadvantage negotiation wise as they come in late in the game and can's do bundle / advanced deals.

But also this in the Aussie way and Rugby way - we want it for nothing! We dug the hole in our unwillingness to pay for it, then when no one else will for us, we complain that we cant watch it as nobody bought it. The other issue is that Rugby has all its egg in the Wallaby basket.

I know if I were in the management at Foxtel HQ I would be making sure we take it slow and play the cards close to the chest and make the Rugby fans suffer. If they don't want to pay this is the perfect storm to get them to realise they either pay up or shut up and go without. We (Foxtel) already kick in $40mil and make the NRC happen. Its about time Rugby learned to wipe its own ass!

Its also a perfect lesson and wake up call for Rugby in general.

On a positive I think we will be rid of the Foxtel commentary team!!!!!:)

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Now, if BeIN or Fox can also get the Wallabies/French Baa Baas game, I would be a contented Wallabies' fan. But would also prefer all the ABs games to be on as well.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Does the Bein program indicate whether the wallaby v welsh test will be replayed tomorrow at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Does the Bein program indicate whether the wallaby v welsh test will be replayed tomorrow at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No replay that I could find until Tuesday. Recording the only way to go, I'll be asleep on the lounge waiting for it to start.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
beIN sport have got all games..

Don't think so T. According to the published programs, they have a selection including the five Wallaby tests against Wales, Scotland, France, Ireland and England, and the ABs' test to come against Ireland, plus a few involving Argentina and Georgia. But they don't seem to have the Wallabies v Barbarians, or any of the other tests involving the ABs. They didn't have yesterday's game between the ABs and Ireland.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Scrolling through the sports channels I notice the Wales/Australia match is being repeated on beIN SPORTS 3 at 11:00pm on Saturday.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Have a little difficulty with the concept of the 4 "development" players.

I think to reward them with a EOYT is a bit over the top, particularly when the ARU is strapped for cash.

By all means they and others should be brought into Camp Wallaby on home soil and not tour until they are really members of the touring squad in order to experience the "culture"

Agree. I'm not too happy that Koribete was selected ahead of a guy like morahan who deserved to be rewarded for his form in the nrc and would be more likely to get game time. My inside sources tell me he's only been sticking around with the force for the possibility of playing for the wallabies. mark my words he'll head overseas at the end of next season.

Not that I see him as a big loss. but if they want to keep guys in oz you need to reward the guys that come through the system

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I wonder why it's only those two though. They've obviously come to some sort of agreement with beIN, possibly too late to get sorted for this weekend but you'd think they would want the Ireland game too.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I wonder why it's only those two though. They've obviously come to some sort of agreement with beIN, possibly too late to get sorted for this weekend but you'd think they would want the Ireland game too.

Hard to say. Perhaps the fact that beIN didn't buy them initially meant the price was higher so they baulked. Once they bought them they wanted a FTA simulcaster to absorb some of their cost.

The France game is 7am so is probably the best timeslot for more people to watch live.

The Ireland game is the worst of the lot at 4:30am so that could reduce any interest in that and the Scotland game was too close to make it worth it.

This is all speculation of course.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Well the Tour is going perfectly at the moment.

Pretty good performance last week and the scorecard is 1 from 1 with 4 to go.

Obviously the hardest matches should be Ireland and England.

I think if we only win 2 games it's a clear fail
3 games to me will be a pass mark (which probably means we have not advanced at all)
4 wins means we are really on the way
5 wins equates to fabulous

Interesting few weeks coming up

Status
Not open for further replies.