• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

EOYT 2016 - Possibles, probables and general banter

Status
Not open for further replies.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
The Flying Shithouse (TFSH) and Morahan were both very good again for the BaaBaa's. Naiyaravoro outpointed Nadolo by a good margin and in particular seems to have picked up Nem's freakish one handed offload technique. Moroccan looked dangerous with every touch.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Due to the extra French Barbarians game, the Wallabies have brought in Sam Carter, Jono Lance, Luke Morahan,
Taqele Naiyaravoro, Andrew Ready, Paddy Ryan, Toby Smith and Nic Stirzaker with all but Lance having already been over there with the Barbarians.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Due to the extra French Barbarians game, the Wallabies have brought in Sam Carter, Jono Lance, Luke Morahan,
Taqele Naiyaravoro, Andrew Ready, Paddy Ryan, Toby Smith and Nic Stirzaker with all but Lance having already been over there with the Barbarians.

Just a s I thought would have to happen. Also perhaps Zack Holmes might have been an option. He's already over in France I believe.

Still will be short on numbers to put out a complete team without the need for test players to be included, at least on the bench. Nowhere near an ideal situation. All prospective test players should already be in Dublin preparing for the Ireland test.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Here is who we have on tour now. 46 players with some question marks over the fitness of Coleman and Hanson, and Tupou just outright not available.

As such there will have to be double ups from the squads to take on the French Barbarians and the Irish

Hookers:
James Hanson
Tolu Latu
Stephen Moore
Andrew Ready

Props:
Allan Ala'alatoa
Sekope Kepu
Tom Robertson
Scott Sio
James Slipper
Taniela Tupou
Paddy Ryan
Toby Smith

Locks:
Rory Arnold
Adam Coleman
Kane Douglas
Rob Simmons
Will Skelton
Sam Carter

Backrow:
Scott Fardy
Michael Hooper
Sean McMahon
Dean Mumm
David Pocock
Lopeti Timani
Jack Dempsey

Scrumhalf:
Nic Stirzaker
Nick Frisby
Will Genia
Nick Phipps

Flyhalf:
Jono Lance
Bernard Foley
Quade Cooper

Centres:
Kyle Godwin
Reece Hodge
Tevita Kuridrani
Izaia Perese

Wingers

Luke Morahan
Taqele Naiyaravoro

Dane Haylett-Petty

Marika Koroibete
Sefanaia Naivalu
Henry Speight

Fullbacks

Israel Folau
Andrew Kellaway

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So assuming Coleman is out but Hanson is right, and that the test team stays pretty solid (as below):

15 Israel Folau
14 Dane Haylett-Petty
13 Tevita Kuridrani
12 Reece Hodge
11 Henry Speight
10 Bernard Foley
9 Will Genia
8 Lopeti Timani
7 Michael Hooper
6 David Pocock
5 Rory Arnold
4 Rob Simmons
3 Sekope Kepu
2 Stephen Moore
1 Scott Sio

16 Tolu Latu
17 Tom Robertson
18 Allan Ala'alatoa
19 Kane Douglas
20 Dean Mumm
21 Nick Phipps
22 Quade Cooper

23 Sefanaia Naivalu

We have a potential Oz Barbarians team of:

15 Andrew Kellaway
14 Marika Koroibete
13 Izaia Perese
12 Kyle Godwin
11 Taqele Naiyaravoro
10 Jono Lance
9 Nick Frisby
8 Jack Dempsey
7 Sean McMahon
6 Scott Fardy
5 Will Skelton
4 Sam Carter
3 Toby Smith
2 James Hanson
1 James Slipper

16 Andrew Ready
17 Paddy Ryan
18 TBC
19 TBC
20 TBC
21 Nic Stirzaker
22 TBC

23 Luke Morahan

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It wouldn't be hard to imagine that the 4 or 5 reserves needed for the Barbarians game who then are in the 23 for the test match will spend their week with the test team in Dublin and just fly across for the day for the Barbarians game.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Reg,
I imagine your side v Barbarians would see Dempsey & McMahon swap spots,.
Cheika seems to see McMahon as a possible 8, and all Dempsey's football at both Super and NRC level has been at 6

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
You never know Cheika may even want to start Cooper to give him some game time which he is lacking. Same with Douglas, Mumm, Naivalu etc

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I know his career to date has been injury interrupted, but can anyone say what the chances are of Ritchie Arnold emulating brother Rory's rise to Wallaby status should he be able to stay injury free?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
You never know Cheika may even want to start Cooper to give him some game time which he is lacking. Same with Douglas, Mumm, Naivalu etc

If a coach was on the ball in these circumstances, I'd suggest he would start Cooper in the test match against France. Not just to give him some game time, but because until it was deemed to be a better option to have a familiar combination at 9/10 and at the time Genia was unavailable, it is arguable that Cooper was actually No 1 pick for the No 10 spot. Certainly, playing well enough to start in a test match that has little bearing on anything of importance. And it would give an opportunity for Foley to have a week's break as well. All good stuff.

I would also use the same logic in respect of Douglas, Mumm and Naivalu, and also Fardy, to give some of Arnold, Pocock or Hooper and Speight a break as well.

Reactions: mst

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Reg, I think it might be fanciful hoping Hanson is fit to play. Haven't heard anything yet, but with a reported broken jaw, he must be in severe doubt.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Reg, I think it might be fanciful hoping Hanson is fit to play. Haven't heard anything yet, but with a reported broken jaw, he must be in severe doubt.

I asked him back when it happened. Plus I don't think it's a full break.

Capture.JPG

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Australia's EoYT for 2016 has entered a tricky stage at the midway point: a grand slam's still possible but there're two challenging matches against French teams in quick succession. How the brains trust manage the squad and selections for these last four matches is going to render this tour worthy of a pass mark at best or, hopefully, wildly successful.

Priorities:
1. defeat Ireland. 2. defeat England. 3. defeat France.

Presumptions:
Coleman out, Douglas and McMahon available to play France, Hanson for the French Barbarians match.
Some players (Moore, Kepu, Arnold, Hooper, Foley and Folau) should be put on ice for the last two tests.

Course of action:
1. select XV for Irish test (I'd like the 23 for Ireland selected and put aside from the French matches but I don't think the numbers are there).
2. select squad for French test excluding Irish XV.
3. select reserves for Irish test after Saturday.
4. select squad for French BaaBaas after this Saturday.

My teams

Irish XV
1. Sio
2. Moore
3. Kepu
4. Simmons
5. Arnold
6. Fardy
7. Hooper (Pocock to wear 7 against England)
8. Timani
9. Genia
10. Foley (tempted to start Cooper but Foley should be put in cotton wool)
11. Speight
12. Hodge
13. Kuridrani
14. Haylett-Petty
15. Folau

French test squad
1. Slipper
2. Latu
3. Smith
4. Carter
5. Douglas
6. Mumm
7. Pocock
8. McMahon
9. Phipps
10. Cooper
11. Naivalu
12. Godwin
13. Morahan
14. Naiyaravoro
15. Kellaway
16. Ready
17. Ryan
18. Robertson
19. Skelton
20. Dempsey
21. Frisby
22. Lance
23. Koroibete

French Barbarians squad
Hanson, Ready, Ala'alatoa/Robertson/Ryan/Slipper/Smith, Carter/Douglas, Skelton, Dempsey, McMahon/Mumm, Frisby, Stirzaker, Lance, Godwin. Perese, Koroibete, Morahan/Naivalu/Naiyaravoro, Kellaway

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Lindo, the 3 development players - Dempsey, Kellaway and Perese - aren't being considered for test selection unless there are a run of injuries in their respective positions, but they will all play against the French BaaBaas. I think Cheika will pick close to his strongest 23 for the France game but alter the starting lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.