• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Federal Coalition Government 2013-?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
53%.

Upper house was only half senate.

ALP 21% in WA indicates that overthere the crap in the senate about the mining tax and carbon tax means something to that electorate. I am happy to wait and watch it unfold.

Sorry the mandate argument may not mean much to you but as I have said

ALP is still out of touch and doesn't give a rats about the outcome of the last election or the people's will.

The ALP does have a role in government, because as you point out they with the Greens control the senate.

99, change hands mate. The ALP has a role in the democratic parliamentary process, not government. It is not a big leap to make that distinction.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I get all that, but the ALP shelved ALL bar one of Henry's recommendationds. No mention of future efforst etc

Hancock also started in 1983 and recommended many changes to IR most of which were slowed implimented over 30 years till Gillard and Rudd took us back to 1996 legislation. Keating never forgave them[/quote]
That doesn't make any sense. Do you have any supporting evidence to back that claim up.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Wow... if the Coalition proceeds with lifting the pension age to 70 by 2035 as well as their deficit tax then they will surely be heading quickly to the political wilderness.

Seems like an amazing way to alienate two of their largest voter bases.

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
I would suspect that by 2035 Abbott will be a pensioner. The ones on pensions today will not care and will not be voting in 2035.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
ImageProxy.mvc

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Tax: the flaw at the heart of the National Commission of Audit

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-opinion/tax-the-flaw-at-the-heart-of-the-national-commission-of-audit-20140501-zr2oy.html#ixzz30W71tEuI

"Given the Biblical scale of the economic challenges facing Australia, it is only fitting that we hear the parable of Moses Hockey and his visit to Mount Sinai-Austerity.
The children of the Coalition had gathered at Mount Austerity – to hear from the Lord of the National Commission of Audit; there was thunder and lightning and dark clouds formed; then, behold, the Lord Tony Shepherd appeared on the Mount - but the people were afraid and moved away.
Moses Hockey said, "Fear plenty, oh people of Australia"
The Lord Shepherd said unto Moses Hockey, “Come to me on the Mount and I will give thee two tables of stone - and 86 Commandments written upon them, so that thou mayest teach them”.
So Moses Hockey rose up, and with his minister Cormann they went up into the midst of the Mount - and were there for forty days and forty nights.
They then came down from the Mount – and Moses Hockey said to the people, "The Lord Shepherd has delivered unto me two tables of stone written by the finger of the God of Capitalism”. “Here are 86 Commandments – for those who wish to enter the Promised Land of Budget Surpluses”.
Now, of course, there could be another chapter to this tale.…
It came to pass, as he came unto the camp, Moses Hockey heard the fearful crowds and their shouting; Moses then became angry – and cast the tables out of his hands, and brake them beneath the Mount.
“Nah”, he reassured me “They were just suggestions – nothing more”.

Commenter
Howe Synnott
Date and time
May 02, 2014, 10:45AM

"
And it came to pass as Sir Wally, hypocritical King of the Left Foots, summoned the duty Magician, Astrologer and Witch Doctor to soar upon the Magic Carpet and deliver unto him the verdict of Mammon....Hear Hear."

Commenter
Geronimo
Date and time
May 02, 2014, 7:39AM

"Does one expect anything less?
You pay the piper and you call the tune.
the commission of audit had its parameters pre-designed and outcomes well known.

There is no debt crisis in government. we are at historical debt levels of all federal governments for the last 50 years and considerably below those debt levels of 1915-1955 period as well.
it's a pantomine"

Commenter
Econorat
Date and time
May 02, 2014, 8:15AM

"
I am entirely underwhelmed by what I have read about the audit so far. It seems like it was a waste of money and undertaken by ideologues.
You could have read Friedman's book on the subject and paid $20 for it. And it is not as if everything Friedman said is silly but what he suggests is now economically old-fashioned and not for Australia.
We built up our economic-social system over the decades and the country has been at the forefront of so much, including Medicare, accessible education, flexible workforce, equity in the workforce, opening trade links with Asia, including China, providing appropriate level of welfare without creating dependency, etc.
The Coalition got in by default and have no mandate to make massive changes. It is interesting how out of touch with reality the audit authors are. They don't seem to realise that we did a lot of voting over the years, which meant we got a lot of elected officials in over the years TO DO WHAT WE WANTED THEM TO DO.
The days when getting into power got you power are over. Coalition you work for us.
To undo decades of good work where we are still the envy of the world is more than brave politically it is demonstrates contempt. How do I benefit from government/electors' assets being sold off to people in the "crony" capitalist set? Will anyone I know get a high salary or power out of that? No!
There was no budget emergency; just a need to be responsible.
The focus should be on creating growth opportunities, tackling youth unemployment, underemployment, casualisation of workforce and excessive outsourcing, helping small business, providing world-class healthcare and education without creating salary inflation at the upper end and providing for our ageing population, building infrastructure."

Commenter
Innovation Needed
Date and time
May 02, 2014, 8:22AM

"
The best thing about this report is it demonstrates how stupid it is to have bunch of CEOs trying to tell us how to run a society. It make about as much sense as have a bunch of union leaders telling us how to run the country. The idea that a bunch of CEOs have any special insight is naive. Some can successfully 'grow' a business, some are really good at ruining an enterprise, but 'running' a society is nothing like running a business. Managing the economy is also not the same as 'managing' society. The economy is certainly an important part of society but it's just a component of a much bigger 'picture'. The outcomes of this report should serve to demonstrate that business leaders, like many of us, will act in their own self interest. No real surprise there. It certainly demonstrates to me that the views of business leaders should be given no moe credence that a bunch of doctors, lawyers, school teachers, union leaders, factory workers, defence personnel or whatever occupational group one might care to name."

Commenter
Steve
Date and time
May 02, 2014, 8:31AM

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
As Tim Shaw from Demtel says

"But wait...There's more"

"Too right Peter. It is a fundamentally biased and incompetent review. It looks at neither tax expenditure OR tax revenue which are inextricably linked pillars of the budget management process. Any fool knows that.
It is not the Commission's fault, really, but the toadies on it could have said, "we are hobbled, so this isn't a proper answer to the real question, but here goes...... ". Of course, they want the next job or favour from the Government so they wouldn't. And probably have a family trust, geared assets and millions in super, so why would they?
Joe Hockey cut three legs off the Audit horse before they started (third one was build performance to increase wealth and revenue) - he directed them to only look at direct government spending. So this commission was clearly biased towards providing the Government a shopping list for spending cuts focussed against mostly less well off people, rather than structurally changing the budget pillars in order to deal with long term future budget concerns, not some confected crisis.
The answers are relatively straightforward, really and repeated over and over by think tanks and most senior economists including the 4 top bank economists . No rush to do anything major now, the economy is largely fine and debt modest - fact. They recommend these; removing the capital gains tax discount and tax all income forms the same, remove super concessions which predominantly assist the well off at huge cost to the budget, taxing trust as companies and so on. This government shows no interest or ability in serious reform. It is easier to target less well of individuals.
So Tuckey's incompetent, ideologically driven or hiding something. You guess.
BTW, I have no association with any political party, just hate deception, lies and incompetence."
Commenter
Foresooth
Date and time
May 02, 2014, 8:48AM
"No one gets a free ride except of course if one is a Canberra poly; they of course are exempt. Their Commission of Audit removes a great of daily burden from their lives while retaining the Oscar Award for highest paid in the world. To even contemplate increasing taxes would not only upset the high end of town it would increase their workload when the emphasis is its decrease at any cost including stretching truth to such limits it can be diagnosed as blatant lies.
The lies of course confirm what we have long suspected: the public good and duty of care come a very poor second to those in charge and their mates who donate by millions. Basically they believe they can tell us anything and get away with it: the F35 will cost $12.4 billion and another 12 billion on top for running costs right? Wrong, 100 planes impose at least an $18 billion drag on the economy, with running costs a massive approximate $85 billion. Do we have an aging population? No. Why our population in 2001-02 was 18.9 million today it is 23.5 million, an increase of 24.33%, and the aged represent 2.5% of the population. Will pensions become unfordable? No. Why? Superannuation funds currently grow at the rate of $90 billion per year and currently total $1.1 trillion. “In 2010–11 government spending for the aged reached $36.3 billion and $25.5 billion for families and children” (ABS).
Nevertheless population increase is by far the greatest burden on the economy, but we are not told this because the high end of town needs increasing numbers to expand, it’s why visa numbers grow. Consider infrastructure spending lags behind population growth by one trillion dollars, therein lays the real problem and our main burden."

Commenter
Pen of hrba
May 02, 2014, 9:23AM

"

You want savings? Try these:
. - fossil fuel subsidies: $12 billion
. - superannuation tax concessions $28 billion in FY14
. - negative gearing and capital gains tax discounts 6.8 billion
. - imputed rent exemptions ~$9.6 billion in FY12
. - mining industry subsidies $4.5 billion
. - negative gearing for investors ($6.4 billion).
. - First Home Vendors Grants over $1 billion
. - private education $9 billion ($36 billion over 09-13)
. - Private Health Insurance Rebate $5 billion ($2 billion at commencement in 1999)
. - suggested: housing 2500 boat refugees overseas instead of in Australia - $4 billion.
Snouts in the trough, every one. Private education can be paid for entirely by those whose children enjoy it. Direct public provision of health care would be far less costly.

Plus:
. - reverse Abbott’s Direct Action $7.4 billion
. - fund RBA through QE $8.8 billion
. - fund NBN through QE $74 billion
Note especially that Abbott's Direct Action will cost $7.4 billion more than Julia Gillard's carbon pricing levy (Abbott has now decided that a tax such as Julia’s on carbon emissions is actually a levy after all), despite being generally forecast to be utterly ineffective."

Commenter
R. Ambrose Raven
May 02, 2014, 9:29AM

"
Why does Abbot not declare Australia a third world country and do away with irritants ( in his esteemed opinion) such as medicare,pension etc.? Medical, economic and social well being of its citizens are the cornerstone of any developed country. If people are made to work until they drop, who will give our youngsters a chance in life??This man is a psychopath who only believes in taking away.Shame on the government, and especially so on the people of Australia,for taking this humiliation lying down. One can argue that we are decent folk and can deal with these terrible setbacks in a dignified manner, but who are we dealing with out here......definitely not humans...Rhodes scholar indeed..harrruumph!"

Commenter
irritated
May 02, 2014, 10:38AM

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
"Well, they say get rid of the clean energy regulator, and we are," he said.
He then mounted an attack on wind farms, specifically the wind turbines operating outside the national capital.
"If I can be a little indulgent please, I drive to Canberra to go to Parliament, I drive myself and I must say I find those wind turbines around Lake George to be utterly offensive," he said.
"I think they're just a blight on the landscape."
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-05-02/joe-hockey-wind-turbines-utterly-offensive/5425804

We need a facepalm emoticon for this one. How on earth is a coal fired power station complete with smoke stacks pumping a steady stream of byproducts in the atmosphere any better.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Ideologically it pleases Joe to see something that is completely fucking the environment.

He dreams of being able to one day drive past Lake George and witness the wonder of a massive open cut coal mine right next to the highway.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Sir Joe softening us up for his budget. "See, it could have been much worse."

Audit Commission's radical calls on health and education now face a political test

"Abbott and the Liberals deserve no praise because the craven cowards lied their heads off to win the election and sold out Australia and Australians to secure free trade agreements with South Korea, Thailand, Japan, and no doubt China and the USA.
A litany of broken election promises in a single sentence.
"No cuts to education, no cuts to health, no change to pensions, no change to the GST and no cuts to the ABC or SBS.”
Abbott the bare faced liar also repeatedly lied about no new taxes prior to the election.
"Fact file: What Tony Abbott promised on tax" (ABC Factchecker 1 May 2014)
"On August 11, at a press conference at Sydney's Bondi Beach:
"Question: "Mr Abbott, Julie Bishop said on TV that... you would have to do both raising taxes and cutting spending to bring the budget back to black. What taxes do you propose to raise?"
"Mr Abbott: "The only party that will raise taxes after the election is the Labor Party."
"On August 5, during an interview on Seven's Sunrise program:
"David Koch: "Okay, so how do you get the budget back into surplus without putting up taxes?"
"Mr Abbott: "By sensible expenditure restraint."
Abbott : "There is one fundamental message that we want to go out from this place to every nook and cranny of our country: There should be no new tax collection without an election."
Commenter
Tristan
Date and time
May 01, 2014, 6:17PM

"The grubby side of human nature is being laid bare by Abbotts mob and those people sitting in their shiny towers subscribe to this; because there is nothing decent about the top of town.
No fair go, no egalitarianism - dog eat dog and if you happen to be born a cripple you're a loser because that's how they think.
'You Can All Go To Hell' Hockey smirking...Mendacious, weak Abbott hiding. The loathing & disrespect towards them, within the community, is palpable.
Yesterday I wrote Abbott looked awkward & shifty at the NDIA launch - couldn't get out of there quick enough and dodged the media. Now we know why.
Abbott and his mob are divisive, incapable of telling the truth and laughing at Australians as they use the Commission of Audit to create fear and anxiety. Creeps - I watched a disabled, diabetic woman weeping on TV the other night distressed she will no longer be able to afford her medicines and unsure of her lonely future. Creeps.
Abbott wants to dismantle the Australian way of life and remove all hard won & hard fought for social responsibility.
Run them out of town before its too late.
March Australia 31st August 2014. Come on Australia lets make it hundreds of thousands of people across Australia so Abbotts mob know their time is up.
How many trees did Abbott plant today. He's achieved nothing since he took power. Nothing.
Tick tock tick tock tick tock"

Commenter
punch
May 01, 2014, 4:19PM

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-opinion/audit-commissions-radical-calls-on-health-and-education-now-face-a-political-test-20140501-zr2jd.html#ixzz30Y1qyTSP

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
Ideologically it pleases Joe to see something that is completely fucking the environment.

He dreams of being able to one day drive past Lake George and witness the wonder of a massive open cut coal mine right next to the highway.

Like it pleases the ALP to screw up the counrty and the get in the way of the clean up.

Better a coal mine than more bloody windmills on the Lake.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Like it pleases the ALP to screw up the counrty and the get in the way of the clean up.

Better a coal mine than more bloody windmills on the Lake.

You're usually a lot better than this and actually make me think but this is just rubbish.

Please give some proof to how the ALP has screwed up the country?!

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
You won't care about what your grandchildren will have to do to make a living?

When the pension age was introduced people lived to 68. People who went on the pension longer were very few. The system has expanded as we have become healthier and live longer to av 80.

So at the star government was up for 4 or 5 years of a person, limited numbers, on the pension. Today with an older population, larger numbers on the pension and they could be on the pension for 15 years. Heaps more cost.

We are happy to change the tax shedule due to bracket creep but seem all upset about age creep.

There will be arguments to sort out about physical worker.

I hope my grandchildren will be like my children who are working hard, putting money aside with a desire to never us a pension.

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
You're usually a lot better than this and actually make me think but this is just rubbish.

Please give some proof to how the ALP has screwed up the country?!

Thank you for your comment.
True it is somewhat rubbish but please look at the statement I was responding to so I responded in kind.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Audit's goal is to turn us into a mini USA

LETTERS
1399028170783.jpg-620x349.jpg
National Commission of Audit chair Tony Shepherd. Photo: Alex Ellinghausen

I’ve looked hard through the terms of reference of the government’s commission of audit and nowhere can I find the directive to, “Come up with a prescription for turning Australia into a mini USA” (‘‘Road map for future: pay more, get less’’, May 2).
However, when one puts together all of its recommendations, that is precisely how its report reads – states competing with one another; national directions for our education and health systems thrown to the wind; the sale of income-generating government assets; the impoverished members of our society being told they must support themselves; a national government stepping aside from its responsibilities to govern for all Australians; and an economic climate in which every second word is ‘budget’.
With just under 25 million people, Australia is a small country that must make its way in a world dominated by big powers and to do this it has to be clever, nimble, innovative and socially cohesive. Trying to turn us into a mini US is not the prescription to achieve these goals. The Australian government needs to rebalance its thinking and initiate a national debate on which way our nation should be going, rather than hiding behind the skirts of an unelected National Commission of Audit.

1399028170948.jpg-300x0.jpg
Illustration: John Shakespeare

Perce Butterworth Annandale
Advertisement
There is no argument that government spending and debt need efficiently managing and that economic settings for future problems like our ageing population need initiating. But, with frequent references to “the mess” Labor allegedly left, this atmosphere of crisis is trumped up by the Coalition partly for the cynical purpose of discrediting the previous government.
That our debt levels, unemployment rates and other indices of economic wellbeing are the envy of most comparable countries is as little acknowledged by the Abbott government as the fact that the Rudd government saved us from a recession which would have made us much worse off than we are. The Coalition’s alarmist and threatening musings might overwhelm perceptions it is trying to act responsibly.

Ron Sinclair Bathurst

With all the negative talk in these pages about Tony Abbott, anyone would be led to believe that he created our national deficit.

Rick Atkinson Curl Curl

Commission of audit report; window dressing to make the budget look kinder. Not so easily duped, Joe Hockey.

Annette Kent Hunters Hill

Ask not what the budget can do for you. Ask what you can do for the budget.

Lance Lawton Cooma

Well may Joe Hockey exhort all Australians to take equal responsibility in bearing the budget burden. But it is inevitable, after George Orwell, that some will bear it more equally than others.

David Grant Ballina

If auditors are mere bean counters, unable to distinguish one kind of bean from another – expert in the cost of everything and the value of nothing (including their own recommendations) – then governments, which do put a price on voter support, should be very, very wary about accepting their advice.

David Tranter Robertson

With the commission of audit's numerous proposals,which will effectively Americanise our society, the only words not game to be mentioned, and a staple of the working poor in American, were "food stamps’’.

Merv McCusker Oatlands

The contents of the Report of the National Commission of Audit are hardly surprising given the terms of reference. Australians have grown to expect a free minimum standard of health, education, social services, defence, and so on, on the basis of our taxes paid.
I wonder what the commission would have determined if the terms of reference required it to carry out its review with reference to these basic standards.

Stephen Kirk Blackbutt

Voters' audit nightmare is government's dream

The commission of audit's report may be a straw man as Ross Gittins suggests but it is probably also what this government would like to do if it thought it could get away with it (‘‘Don’t worry: this is the softening up’’, May 2). The "heavy lifting" declared by Joe Hockey to be shared by all will be done exclusively by ordinary people and small business while big business goes on making record profits.

Jennifer Briggs Kilaben Bay

Thank goodness for the economic Panadol of Ross Gittins' piece on the commission of audit. I was starting to get a headache until I read his article.

Jamie McIlwraith Marrickville

Ross Gittins is spot-on. The establishing of the National Commission of Audit and its predictable report is all about politics. It is simply a con job by the government and we should treat it as such.

John Truman Chatswood

Tax by any other name

Tony Abbott asserts that his proposed debt levy is not a tax because it will be temporary. I refer him to the Australian Bureau of Statistics definition of a tax: "A tax is a compulsory levy imposed by the government, mainly to raise revenue. There is usually no clear and direct link between payment of taxes and the provision of particular goods and services by government."
Two things to note from this definition. Firstly, it says that a tax is a compulsory levy, so clearly the compulsory levy proposed by Mr Abbott is a tax. Secondly, there is no mention in the ABS definition of the period of time over which the tax is imposed. The time period is completely irrelevant to the issue of whether a levy is a tax.

David Collins Mona Vale

Budget bites

Following the production of spreadsheets detailing our finances I have convinced my family that we have a household budget emergency. As a result we will need to take steps to reduce our mortgage debt.
Commencing immediately a range of measures will be implemented. These include a food intake reduction to two meals per day with these meals to be consumed by candlelight. Family members will be restricted to two sets of clothing, including underwear, to be hand-washed each day. All heating and cooling will be disconnected.
In addition, my children have agreed to pay a levy on all requests for fatherly advice on how to manage their adult lives and my wife will desist from all visits to the hairdresser and beauty salon for a number of years and remain indoors as much as possible. By 2020 our mortgage will be paid off and I know my family will be forever grateful.

Phil Peak Dubbo

How does Google justify the tax it pays?

If we all have to contribute, how are big businesses and corporations going to? They don't even pay anywhere near the tax they should now. Google pays 1 per cent on $46.5 million profit (‘‘Google gets tax bill slashed despite rise in local profits’’, May 2).

Chris Hinkley Dawes Point

Google was to pay $7.1 million tax from profits of $46.5 million or 15¢ in the dollar. But after deductions paid $66,000 or 1¢ in the dollar. Tony, is this par for the course for the multinationals? They don’ t seem to get a mention in the budget. What is the government going to do about this and other multinationals?

Lyle Keats Miranda

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/comment/smh-letters/audits-goal-is-to-turn-us-into-a-mini-usa-20140502-zr39o.html#ixzz30c1shRk5

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Thank you for your comment.
True it is somewhat rubbish but please look at the statement I was responding to so I responded in kind.

OK cool......we're totally opposed ideologically but I appreciate your comments cos they really do make me take a think....

Status
Not open for further replies.